Jump to content

Roe officially overturned, shocking no one given the leak earlier


Recommended Posts

Just now, sblfilms said:

It is a peculiar thing to see people who are very interested in politics pretty fundamentally misunderstand the powers of the president.

 

Your average person is not going to understand why the Democrats control the House, Senate, and White House and are seemingly not doing anything. 

  • True 1
  • Halal 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Poor dems, they can’t do anything till next election even though they have the majority in the house, senate and the presidency. How could anyone expect them to do something with so little power…. 

 

:dumpster_fire:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jason said:

 

Your average person is not going to understand why the Democrats control the House, Senate, and White House and are seemingly not doing anything. 

Or when the republicans have control of less can somehow do more…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point, the best thing that can be done is enhance the economic programs that will somewhat mitigate the fallout from this such as child tax credits, EITC, etc.

 

Because of the inherent structural issues of American society -- which have absolutely zero remedy other than dissolution -- the fight to re-establish this right where it has been lost or curtailed is simply a "lost cause" for the very long-term future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is enough blame to be put on the right wing politicians who do things to erode rights, just like there's enough blame for liberal politicians who stand in the way of protecting rights, or take no action to protect them. 

 

 

Democrats aren't blameless. Not the least the ones in power who could have prevented this, but didn't. 

 

 

Also, there's something to be said for the harshest criticism being reserved for those on our side. We know Republicans are evil. We expect nothing more. What we expect is for Democrats to rise to resist that evil. And they are not. 

  • True 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CayceG said:

There is enough blame to be put on the right wing politicians who do things to erode rights, just like there's enough blame for liberal politicians who stand in the way of protecting rights, or take no action to protect them. 

 

 

Democrats aren't blameless. Not the least the ones in power who could have prevented this, but didn't. 

 

 

Also, there's something to be said for the harshest criticism being reserved for those on our side. We know Republicans are evil. We expect nothing more. What we expect is for Democrats to rise to resist that evil. And they are not. 


The president isn’t that person. He didn’t vote for any of the justices who wanted to wholesale overturn this. He’s outpaced Trump on judicial appointments. Complaining that he said don’t be violent is the most tone deaf thing I’ve read today.

 

anybody here who wasted their time doubting Hillary in 2016, talking about emails, or better yet didn’t even vote for her, need to take a long hard look at themselves before trying to tell me the answer to this problem what Democrats should be doing. Because my ire is first and foremost for those people who should’ve known better, had all the information laid out, clearly saw a supreme court seat on hold for a year, and decided well you know something something emails something something untrustworthy.

  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:


The president isn’t that person. He didn’t vote for any of the justices who wanted to wholesale overturn this. He’s outpaced Trump on judicial appointments. Complaining that he said don’t be violent is the most tone deaf thing I’ve read today.

 

anybody here who wasted their time doubting Hillary in 2016, talking about emails, or better yet didn’t even vote for her, need to take a long hard look at themselves before trying to tell me the answer to this problem what Democrats should be doing. Because my ire is first and foremost for those people who should’ve known better, had all the information laid out, clearly saw a supreme court seat on hold for a year, and decided well you know something something emails something something untrustworthy.

 

Who says I'm only blaming Biden?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CayceG said:

 

Who says I'm only blaming Biden?

 

Why would he even be part of that calculus considering he helped stop anti-choice Bork from being on the Supreme Court? And voted against two of the justices who voted to overturn Roe? And actually is outpacing previous presidents on judicial appointments?

 

It's not like he voted third party in 2016; motherfucker knew the stakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

 

Why would he even be part of that calculus considering he helped stop anti-choice Bork from being on the Supreme Court? And voted against two of the justices who voted to overturn Roe? And actually is outpacing previous presidents on judicial appointments?

 

It's not like he voted third party in 2016; motherfucker knew the stakes.

 

 

So what's he doing to roll this back? Is he going to push the DCCC to support leftist, pro-choice candidates at all level of government in red states next year? Is he going to finally push the Senate to overturn the filibuster? Is he going to push Pelosi and Schumer to step down and make way for more radical leftists in leadership to lead these charges? Is he going to push the DOJ to dig into Ginny Thomas in an effort to bring her into the J6 hearings as a way of torpedoing Clarence Thomas?

 

Nothing should be off the table but you and I both know Biden isn't going to do any of this shit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

 

 

So what's he doing to roll this back? Is he going to push the DCCC to support leftist, pro-choice candidates at all level of government in red states next year? Is he going to finally push the Senate to overturn the filibuster? Is he going to push Pelosi and Schumer to step down and make way for more radical leftists in leadership to lead these charges? Is he going to push the DOJ to dig into Ginny Thomas in an effort to bring her into the J6 hearings as a way of torpedoing Clarence Thomas?

 

Nothing should be off the table but you and I both know Biden isn't going to do any of this shit. 

 

Some of this sounds like what sbl was saying because the Senate, in its current composition, isn't getting rid of the filibuster no matter how much he "pushes." Manchin is in West Virginia; the president has virtually no power over him when people in that state elect Manchin.

 

There are barely pro-life Democrats left in elected office. Even the non-radicals are pro-choice with very few exceptions. 

 

Pelosi and Schumer are fun punching bags, but they're not the ones who were Bernie or Busters in 2016.

 

Of all people to even be mad at, the guy who tried to stop all five justices, actually helped torpedo one, and is putting a slew of diverse, both in background and professional life, justices in office is a waste of time.

 

2016 was it (and 2014 to the extent that Garland would have been confirmed had we not given Republicans the Senate). If Hillary replaced Scalia, none of these conversations would be happening. There is no reason for me to attack the guy who actually has a record trying to preserve abortion rights in America over every person who couldn't get over that their candidate couldn't get more votes than the other in the 2016 primary and any fool here who spent any second talking about emails.

  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time isn't being wasted:

 

Quote

Abortion ban in Arkansas to take effect later today, state's attorney general says

 

Quote

Abortion in Oklahoma is now illegal, state's attorney general says

 

Quote

Tennessee files emergency motion to skip 30-day waiting period and ban abortion immediately

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

There is no reason for me to attack the guy who actually has a record trying to preserve abortion rights in America

 

 

Oh look, I found several reasons across his decades in politics.

 

190605-joe-biden-mc-1013.JPG
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

As a senator from Delaware, he once supported stripping exceptions for rape and incest from federal funding.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

Even if Democrats sweep the Senate, they won't have 60 votes. 


The House, Senate, and White House are irrelevant.

 

Even if get federal legislation to protect abortion, it will just be found unconstitutional by this Supreme Court. 

  • True 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

 

Oh look, I found several reasons across his decades in politics.

 

190605-joe-biden-mc-1013.JPG
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

As a senator from Delaware, he once supported stripping exceptions for rape and incest from federal funding.

 

 

Cool, 1977. Let's see what he's done since then.

 

Did he vote for Alito?

 

Did he vote for Thomas?

 

Did he vote for this guy, who was derailed?

 

bork2_wide-8e76220c243e48995054f482f773a

 

Was he upset with 2016's primary and didn't vote, which led to Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett?

 

Did he vote for Ginsburg?

 

Breyer?

 

Was he part of the administration that gave us Sotomayor and Kagan?

 

Did he not just put to the Court Ketanji Brown Jackson?

 

Is he outpacing all presidents in judicial appointments, which is part of the reason we're in this mess since Republicans have been targeting the courts?

 

]You can say, "Who said I'm just blaming Biden?" but you're showing your hand by talking about him this much and not about the folks who decided to not vote in 2014 or 2016. Because we'll never get away from that simple fact: Hillary president + Democratic Senate = we wouldn't be having this conversation. Easy. Simple. We wouldn't even be talking about this for decades and would probably be enjoying a 5-4 liberal court.

 

Let's face it: Biden has done more for abortion rights than you or I. Way more. The fact that this kind of news always leads to someone complaining about a Democrat in power is indicative of how even the all-knowing base who has all the answers aren't good at actually having answers. And the people, both Democrats and independents, who sat out any of those elections don't get shit on enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Even if get federal legislation to protect abortion, it will just be found unconstitutional by this Supreme Court. 

 

And there's the rub.

 

Again, this is an inter-generational, structural situation that's going to take a very, very long time to address and we should all be prepared that we may never see it in our lifetimes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with SaysWho. Voters who didn't exercise their power in 2016 should exercise their power now. 

 

 

We need 5 court vacancies, and those voters can help out!

 

Thankfully, Gawker has a useful review of the architecture behind the SCOTUS justices' houses:

dd85a61f-bdce-425e-b5c9-ca5ea56e26e9-get
WWW.GAWKER.COM

Reviewing the nine Justices' homes

 

 

 

 

Of course, this is the shortcut that is pretty difficult to do anyway. It would be better if Democratic systems of power allowed for people in states like mine to have pro-choice and left leaning candidates to vote for as a way of eliminating the Republicans' power. 

 

I'm definitely certain Joe Biden will help defeat Marsha Blackburn and Bill Hagerty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, osxmatt said:


The House, Senate, and White House are irrelevant.

 

Even if get federal legislation to protect abortion, it will just be found unconstitutional by this Supreme Court. 

 

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

 

And there's the rub.

 

Again, this is an inter-generational, structural situation that's going to take a very, very long time to address and we should all be prepared that we may never see it in our lifetimes.

 

SCOTUS could say that hamburgers are unconstitutional tomorrow with a one-word opinion, "because," and there is nothing anyone could do about it. Right now maybe they are trying to preserve some sense of legitimacy. But there's a greater-than-50% chance that disappears if they need it to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

If your ire is toward Biden, even a little bit, you've lost your damned mind. I'm more upset with Republicans and 2016 protest voters.

 

Hey jason, how many times did you attack Clinton in 2016 and help instill doubts about her even though SCOTUS was on the line whereas now you have all the answers? THAT was weaksauce. Biden didn't vote for Clarence or Alito. He helped stop Bork's confirmation. And he surely tried to stop Trump who gave us the others. 

 

It IS up to voters. We had all the necessary info in 2016. Anyone who wasted their time about emails screwed up.

BINGO.

  • UpDoot 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

 

SCOTUS could say that hamburgers are unconstitutional tomorrow with a one-word opinion, "because," and there is nothing anyone could do about it. Right now maybe they are trying to preserve some sense of legitimacy. But there's a greater-than-50% chance that disappears if they need it to.


If there is one "upside" to this entire travesty, it's that the Supreme Court's "legitimacy" will further sink into the mire.

  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Constitutional amendment abolishing the Supreme Court? Or would that itself just wind up at the Supreme Court too? LMAO this is so fucked. I’m fucking out of here first chance I get. Canada better get to legalizing dense housing.

  • Halal 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Constitutional amendment abolishing the Supreme Court? Or would that itself just wind up at the Supreme Court too? LMAO this is so fucked. I’m fucking out of here first chance I get. Canada better get to legalizing dense housing.

No lie, I was looking at best countries for Expats yesterday... Panama, Columbia, Portugal and Ghana are being looked at seriously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh, who am I kidding? I can barely keep up with bills. The automobile is bleeding us all dry. I’ll never have the money to move, I’m stuck here, my daughters are stuck here and they’re going to grow up in a world that is hostile to their existence. Fuck everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Uaarkson said:

Ugh, who am I kidding? I can barely keep up with bills. The automobile is bleeding us all dry. I’ll never have the money to move, I’m stuck here, my daughters are stuck here and they’re going to grow up in a world that is hostile to their existence. Fuck everything.

I'm single with no kids and make a decent living so I can go pretty much anywhere I want if I plan right :twothumbsup:

  • Guillotine 1
  • UpDoot 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...