Update: Vince McMahon retires after rape allegations and NDAs and all that

107076529-1655323508605-gettyimages-1390
WWW.CNBC.COM

A WWE spokesman told the WSJ that the company is cooperating with the board's investigation into the alleged McMahon payment.

• World Wrestling Entertainment’s board is investigating a $3 million hush-money settlement that CEO Vince McMahon paid a former employee over an alleged affair, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • A WWE spokesman told the newspaper that the company is cooperating with the board’s investigation and that the relationship between McMahon and the woman was consensual.
  • The board’s probe also revealed older agreements related to misconduct claims against McMahon and another WWE executive by women who used to work at the company, the report says.

The agreement, which was struck in January, is intended to prevent the woman, who had worked as a paralegal for the company, from discussing her relationship with McMahon or making critical statements about the chief executive, the Journal added.

The report said the board’s investigation, which started in April, also revealed nondisclosure pacts related to misconduct claims from other women who had worked at WWE. These agreements involved McMahon and WWE talent executive John Laurinaitis, who wrestled under the name Johnny Ace, the Journal added.

As long as it was consensual, I don't really care about the private lives of the rich and famous. He got sex, she got paid, as long as both parties are happy, it's between him, her, and his wife. 

If it wasn't consensual, dowse him in gasoline and light him on fire. 

22 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A little consensual sex never hurt anyone.

I mean, they can do as they please. I don't watch WWE or care about Vince McMahon, but unless there is a sex crime in there, whats the problem? She accepted the money (and apparently isn't the one bringing this up), and wasn't it his money? He's the owner of the company, right?

Unless the woman has a problem with him and comes forward with claims of abuse or manipulation, then thats something for him and his wife.

36 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, they can do as they please. I don't watch WWE or care about Vince McMahon, but unless there is a sex crime in there, whats the problem? She accepted the money (and apparently isn't the one bringing this up), and wasn't it his money? He's the owner of the company, right?

Unless the woman has a problem with him and comes forward with claims of abuse or manipulation, then thats something for him and his wife.

It’s a public company and he answers to a Board of Directors, so he’s not really the owner; when it was private, it was a family business. And when the Board is investigating hush money payments and sexual misconduct from people in power, plus NDAs, it seems premature to try to dismiss it, no? It’s obviously not just a private matter to them.

Friendly reminder: what’s consensual to your boss isn’t necessarily consensual to you since it’s your boss making the moves.

• Halal 2

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It’s a public company and he answers to a Board of Directors, so he’s not really the owner; when it was private, it was a family business. And when the Board is investigating hush money payments and sexual misconduct from people in power, plus NDAs, it seems premature to try to dismiss it, no? It’s obviously not just a private matter to them.

Friendly reminder: what’s consensual to your boss isn’t necessarily consensual to you since it’s your boss making the moves.

Thats a bit different. I didn't know it wasn't private anymore.

And as I said, if she has a problem, that is different, but it doesn't seem to be the case. She doesn't seem to be involved in any of this.

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Thats a bit different. I didn't know it wasn't private anymore.

And as I said, if she has a problem, that is different, but it doesn't seem to be the case. She doesn't seem to be involved in any of this.

She was paid for her silence, and NDAs aren't pursued when things are on the up and up.

You can have a problem with a powerful person but fear the powerful person; that's why people are paid for their silence.

GettyImages-165541307-H-2022.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

"McMahon will retain his role and responsibilities related to WWE’s creative content during this period and remains committed to cooperating with the review underway."

WWE founder and CEO Vince McMahon has “voluntarily stepped back” from his roles as CEO and chairman of the sports entertainment powerhouse amid an “investigation into alleged misconduct” by him and John Laurinaitis, head of talent relations.

“McMahon will retain his role and responsibilities related to WWE’s creative content during this period and remains committed to cooperating with the review underway,” the company said. A special committee of the board is handling the probe. It has appointed McMahon’s daughter Stephanie to serve as interim CEO and interim chairwoman, WWE also said on Friday.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:13 AM, Spork3245 said:

I saw a rumor that Linda left him, no clue if it’s true 

supposedly a rumor goes that they’ve been separated and married only in the legal sense for a while now. She’d lose out too much in a divorce. But some theorize that if this a scandal proves to be true it could giver her and her lawyers enough ammo to get more in a divorce settlement. 

anyways, I’m more surprised it has taken this long for something to come out. I guess there’s always the promise of going back to the WWE, so nobody wants to burn bridges. Or maybe Vince has just been better about his NDAs and the “right people” knowing than most in his position. At least until now. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

supposedly a rumor goes that they’ve been separated and married only in the legal sense for a while now. She’d lose out too much in a divorce. But some theorize that if this a scandal proves to be true it could giver her and her lawyers enough ammo to get more in a divorce settlement. 

Apparently it's being stated that he wasn't cheating on her since they're separated and the relationship between Vince and this paralegal was consensual and that the NDA was paid for via Vince's money and not WWE's. The problem for him, as CEO, is that once the relationship began her salary went from ~$100k/year to over $200k/year.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Apparently it's being stated that he wasn't cheating on her since they're separated and the relationship between Vince and this paralegal was consensual and that the NDA was paid for via Vince's money and not WWE's. The problem for him, as CEO, is that once the relationship began her salary went from ~$100k/year to over $200k/year.

i mean it makes sense to double her salary. She’s working at least twice as many hours now. 

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Was it the same shtick?

More or less. Just came out to say “This is Raw episode #xxxx (I forget the number) and it’s still the longest running weekly episodic show on television! In one week John Cena will return right here on Monday Night Raw!” then left. It’s seriously a “I’m still here!” ego-thing :lol:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Was it touted ahead of Monday's show much like Friday's Smackdown had been advertised ahead of time? Feels like he's utilizing the headlines as a way to garner pops & numbers in viewing.

I don’t believe yesterday’s appearance was advertised. The ratings grab only works once, as people speculated if he was coming on Smackdown to “address the scandal”, now that his appearances are just absolutely nothing I don’t think it’s something that will continue to work. Second half of Smackdown apparently had much higher ratings than the first hour with McMahon anyway