Crazy Rich Asian's Insane Box Office

TwinIon

I'm not really one for Rom Coms, so I was never really the audience for Crazy Rich Asians, but being the first all Asian cast in a major studio film in 25 years it's been on my radar. The $26M opening weekend was enough to beat out The Meg's second weekend for first place, and a more than respectable opening for the genre. The second weekend though, was a bit of an anomaly. While The Meg dropped a typical ~40% (from $21M to $13M), Crazy Rich only dropped 6.4% (from $26M to $24M), a very rare performance.

In it's third weekend, it's now projected to match that $24M.

I don't expect Crazy Rich to keep topping the charts for too much longer. I suspect that the Nun and The Predator will be at the top in the coming weeks, but I do think it's possible that Crazy Rich keeps chugging for a long while. Word of mouth is excellent, and it's obviously found an underserved audience. Box Office Mojo's comparison to Brides Maids and The Help could well point the way towards Crazy Rich stretching out beyond $150M, which would put it above films like Ready Player One. That's quite a showing.

its decent enough...  as with Black Panther though, is the movie that good or is it just an effective mobilization of a certain group out to prove they are a market that will "reward" products made by specific groups....

only 2 things somewhat bothered me.. one she had not realized who she was dating (specially given how tech savvy everyone else seemed to be), knowing constance wu from other projects it was "off" that she was playing "younger" given how old she really is.... either way it was a good film, even though i kept waiting for Godzilla to pop up and wreck another major city

17 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

its decent enough...  as with Black Panther though, is the movie that good or is it just an effective mobilization of a certain group out to prove they are a market that will "reward" products made by specific groups....

only 2 things somewhat bothered me.. one she had not realized who she was dating (specially given how tech savvy everyone else seemed to be), knowing constance wu from other projects it was "off" that she was playing "younger" given how old she really is.... either way it was a good film, even though i kept waiting for Godzilla to pop up and wreck another major city

her not knowing is kind of the point, and I don't mean that is that she needs to not know who he is for the film to work, but rather what her mother tells her at the start of the film. She's different. She's may be Chinese, but she's not Chinese Chinese, she's American. And since her idea of going East was to head over to the Village or SoHo or whatever, she's have no reason to know who he was. Even when you see the social network in action aside from the girl in the coffee shop all that craziness was taking place in Singapore. As for her playing younger, she wasn't playing all the younger than she really is. After all she was out of college and teaching so mid to late 20s isn't that far off. She's only like 35 or 36. It's not like when Luke Perry and the gang were in their 40s and playing teenagers in Beverly Hill 90210.

37 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

her not knowing is kind of the point, and I don't mean that is that she needs to not know who he is for the film to work, but rather what her mother tells her at the start of the film. She's different. She's may be Chinese, but she's not Chinese Chinese, she's American. And since her idea of going East was to head over to the Village or SoHo or whatever, she's have no reason to know who he was. Even when you see the social network in action aside from the girl in the coffee shop all that craziness was taking place in Singapore. As for her playing younger, she wasn't playing all the younger than she really is. After all she was out of college and teaching so mid to late 20s isn't that far off. She's only like 35 or 36. It's not like when Luke Perry and the gang were in their 40s and playing teenagers in Beverly Hill 90210.

HEY!!!!  Dont be dragging 90210 into this!!

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

why did you want it to flop? 

I have a significant bias against Asian socialite members.  This isn't to say that all of them are inherently bad, but [from my experiences within family and their acquaintances] they're so materialistic and vain, while being so morally ignorant while talking about things in current events and such.  Granted, I can't say much for all, but coming as an Asian American it's not a movie that I would want it to represent Asians overall.  Perhaps it's some cultural crisis I have maybe?

8 hours ago, darkness35 said:

I have a significant bias against Asian socialite members.  This isn't to say that all of them are inherently bad, but [from my experiences within family and their acquaintances] they're so materialistic and vain, while being so morally ignorant while talking about things in current events and such.  Granted, I can't say much for all, but coming as an Asian American it's not a movie that I would want it to represent Asians overall.  Perhaps it's some cultural crisis I have maybe?

But it's just a rom-com, it's not meant to represent every Asian. Perhaps I'm giving people too much credit, but I'm pretty sure most movie goers aren't going to leave the theater thinking the movie is a true representation of the culture. 

26 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

But it's just a rom-com, it's not meant to represent every Asian. Perhaps I'm giving people too much credit, but I'm pretty sure most movie goers aren't going to leave the theater thinking the movie is a true representation of the culture.  

I mean when you're being bombarded with "OH FINALLY ASIAN REPRESENTATION" "OH FINALLY WE'RE TAKEN SERIOUSLY" "OH WE'RE NOT THE CHING CHONGS OF THE MOVIES" it's tedious and annoying.  I'm probably taking it too literally.  Even if I'm taking too literal, I just don't have a fondness of "Asian culture/representation" and "socialite life." 

Regardless, China will just fucking eat this shit up and want more of this garbage. Or heavily change it to suit PRC morals.  Can't let indoctrinated idiots have any thoughts about choice or freedom now~

16 hours ago, darkness35 said:

I have a significant bias against Asian socialite members.  This isn't to say that all of them are inherently bad, but [from my experiences within family and their acquaintances] they're so materialistic and vain, while being so morally ignorant while talking about things in current events and such. 

That is the entire socialite class, not just Asians :p

I know what @darkness35 is talking about. The feelings of "here's some bad representation" "here is how we see your kind" or "this is what you are like" or a certain class dictating what is the standard wether upper or lower. Culture is so many shades and one film doesn't do it justice, but for the first outing to be the embarrassing class must be truly frustrating.

I didn't want to turn it in to a liberal arts/cultural representation argument, but pretty much what  @2user1cup said is how I feel.  Honestly, if the general Asian consensus is they want fair representation fine, but I don't want this movie to be the magnum opus for Asians in Hollywood representation.

I probably won't see/hear it anytime soon (or in my case for my age group), but this is going to put a lot of pressure for the high school and below generation, and it's going to be an earache.