The BLM organization turns out to be a standard fare American grift op

merlin_188274429_b5690cad-989a-4f2f-8741
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The organization offered the first official accounting of its finances recently, disclosing a filing to the I.R.S.

A family member, Paul Cullors, was listed on the tax form as receiving payment for “professional security services” amounting to $840,993.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I’m in if we can have an overall positive message and only keep like half the money for ourselves. What should our movement be? AAA, Asians Are Awesome?

Gamers Going Gayly? 

This has been apparent to a lot of activists in the last few years. Many activists coming across my Birdfeed have been vocal about not giving to the BLM org and have been speaking out about the heads of the org essentially being grifters. It's unfortunate that the movement's name was hijacked for this. There are still people out there doing good work though.

Just now, CayceG said:

This has been apparent to a lot of activists in the last few years. Many activists coming across my Birdfeed have been vocal about not giving to the BLM org and have been speaking out about the heads of the org essentially being grifters. It's unfortunate that the movement's name was hijacked for this. There are still people out there doing good work though.

To me it is mostly a good reminder to look for local opportunities where you can do more direct vetting. Also never give to a non-prof that doesn’t have current tax disclosures publicly available.

So I just read the story and I'm confused... where does it indicate wrong doing or that something nefarious has been going on deliberately? From what I gather, this is an organization built by people who had no idea what they were doing, grew very large very quickly and is now taking steps to be more transparent and to get their house in order. Nothing in that article comes across as nefarious as this topic's heading indicates. BTW, I'm not even pro or anti Black Lives Matter... but I do know this organization terrifies certain segments of the popuation and like others before it, they will do anything to discredit and dismantle it. 

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So I just read the story and I'm confused... where does it indicate wrong doing or that something nefarious has been going on deliberately? From what I gather, this is an organization built by people who had no idea what they were doing, grew very large very quickly and is now taking steps to be more transparent and to get their house in order. Nothing in that article comes across as nefarious as this topic's heading indicates. BTW, I'm not even pro or anti Black Lives Matter... but I do know this organization terrifies certain segments of the popuation and like others before it, they will do anything to discredit and dismantle it. 

Read the tax filing. It’s all the typical ways money gets funneled to friends and family by paying them for work they don’t actually do, or giving contracts to family members at above market rates. 

The easiest way to see the griftiness is to see that a bunch of these firms BLM org paid were new LLCs owned by family or close friends of one of the board members. This is the main way people extract money out of organizations, creating for profit entities that charge the non-prof consulting/service fees.

The only reason this is coming to light now is that the new board has tried to shine a light on things.

Black Lives Matters the hashtag and slogan is very different from Black Lives Matters the organization, which yes, has been run by a bunch of bad faith grifters from the start.

It's a shame, because Fox News and others like to point to all the stupid stuff they do as if they are the entire movement, which in reality is anything but the case.

It's a slogan, it's a hashtag. It's not a group. It never was supposed to be.