Should this Church be taxed?

Should it?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should it?

This church and this guy is down the road from me. 

This isn't the worst thing he's ever said, and it's part of a long line of similar statements. Locke is banned from twitter because of it. 

But really, the church won't be. The IRS just won't. 

The real answer is that all churches should be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

It already is at 11. They will have to build a new amp if that happens. 

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

"You ain't seen an insurrection yet. Keep pushing our buttons," is a 12 and they pay no taxes. 

This just saying things. Religious orgs would start directly funding candidates, and it wouldn’t just be a few of them. Whether the trade off is a good one or not is certainly up for debate, but a significant amount of money would be injected into the political system immediately if tax exemption goes away.

Just look at what for profit businesses do currently for a taste of what would come.

I heard stuff like that all the time from local leaders/congregants in the church of my youth.

I agree with the sentiment of "tax all churches" because there are some very bad offenders out there in terms of grift. But there are also some "legit" ones that really do tons of actually good charitable work. Though they're few and far between.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This just saying things. Religious orgs would start directly funding candidates, and it wouldn’t just be a few of them. Whether the trade off is a good one or not is certainly up for debate, but a significant amount of money would be injected into the political system immediately if tax exemption goes away.

Just look at what for profit businesses do currently for a taste of what would come.

All due respect, just talking got us to the insurrection in the first place. And there were all sorts of far right church people praying in front of elections offices and slamming on doors until it got to a full-blown breach of the Capitol.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

All due respect, just talking got us to the insurrection in the first place. And there were all sorts of far right church people praying in front of elections offices and slamming on doors until it got to a full-blown breach of the Capitol.

What was the outcome of that?

What has been the outcome of money in politics?

What happened on the 6th was anti-Democratic thuggery, and yet it does not compare at all to the issue of money in politics which has eroded democracy in every election and is only getting worse with time.

Tax all religious orgs, but don’t be surprised when they become significantly more politically active with their finances and it creates more outcomes you don’t like. There are billions of dollars sidelined simply because of the IRS edict.

There are also significant public monies that are not accessed by religious institutions simply because they don’t want to mix themselves up with the government. Remove the tax exemptions and that will also change overnight. And given the SCOTUS rulings of late about public financing of things like religious schools, be prepared for substantial outflows of dollars into those places as they try and get back some of those tax dollars.

Get ready for religious schools all over to push really hard for school voucher programs as they try and get property tax money back into their coffers, and see public schools struggle even more in the wake of it.

There are so many issues both large and small that would be affected by this and on balance, I don’t think my liberal friends will like what happens.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What was the outcome of that?

What has been the outcome of money in politics?

What happened on the 6th was anti-Democratic thuggery, and yet it does not compare at all to the issue of money in politics which has eroded democracy in every election and is only getting worse with time.

Tax all religious orgs, but don’t be surprised when they become significantly more politically active with their finances and it creates more outcomes you don’t like. There are billions of dollars sidelined simply because of the IRS edict.

There are also significant public monies that are not accessed by religious institutions simply because they don’t want to mix themselves up with the government. Remove the tax exemptions and that will also change overnight. And given the SCOTUS rulings of late about public financing of things like religious schools, be prepared for substantial outflows of dollars into those places as they try and get back some of those tax dollars.

Get ready for religious schools all over to push really hard for school voucher programs as they try and get property tax money back into their coffers, and see public schools struggle even more in the wake of it.

There are so many issues both large and small that would be affected by this and on balance, I don’t think my liberal friends will like what happens.

The accelerationist arsonist side of me feels all tingly!

• Haha 1