For All Mankind: Season 4 All Mankind

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to For All Mankind: Season 3 (Apple TV+, 10 June 2022) - Official Trailer

One of my favorite things going. I love that they went with the decade time jump each season so there is built in room for tech advancement. 

The end of season 2 really gutted me 😭

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They don’t still give it away with, like, any Apple product?

I think they give 3 months these days if its a new account, but A) I already had a free year and B) not buying any new Apple products any time soon. I'm sure at some point I'll snag it for a month or two but IO'll wait for there to be a bunch of stuff I'll want to watch first 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Jason changed the title to For All Mankind: Season 3 out now

I am so glad I started watching this show without any previous knowledge, as that first episode (of Season One) blew me away with the twist. Had I read up on the show, I'd have watched it expecting the twist, and it would have made it much less of an enjoyable experience.

21 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I am so glad I started watching this show without any previous knowledge, as that first episode (of Season One) blew me away with the twist. Had I read up on the show, I'd have watched it expecting the twist, and it would have made it much less of an enjoyable experience.

What was the twist you're talking about? 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

What was the twist you're talking about? 

Spoiler

That the Soviet Union beat us. When I first started watching it, going in with no knowledge, I thought it was going to be a historical reenactment like Apollo 13.

1 hour ago, brucoe said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think I knew it was gonna be alternate history when I first watched it but I don't remember if I knew that specifically was the twist. Don't think my enjoyment level would have hinged on knowing or not knowing that was the twist though. What I do remember is that it had been loosely on my radar mostly just because "space" and "Ronald D. Moore" and I randomly started watching it on a flight that had the first few episodes--actually I'm not even sure if I even realized it was RDM until I saw it listed with his name on the plane and then immediately just turned it on because of his name alone, I may have just vaguely known it was a new space-themed show prior to that.

Haven’t yet cranked up the season 3 premiere, been slammed with work and literally fall asleep within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow at night. Love the show though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Jason said:

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u3.j

Seems to me there are only a couple places the Jimmy storyline could go and I don't care for any of them, so hopefully he gets crushed by a piece of SpaceLab falling from orbit or something. It's a shame because the actor absolutely crushes the part, he nails that kinda guy perfectly. But there's enough fake news drama IRL that at this particular moment my patience for fictional takes on it is just nonexistent. 

So, hmmm, I don’t think I like almost anything happening on Mars, and the surprise at the end of episode 9 legit made me roll my eyes.

Also, did they get a new DP? I feel like the show took a turn for the worse visually.

Barring a real banger in the season finale, this is easily the worst season of the show with the only sorry lines I have really enjoyed being those of Ellen and Margot.

I feel like today’s “twist” has been telegraphed all season though I suppose we’ll need to see if the finale helps it make any sense beyond that.

I appreciate that Ed has blinders on when it comes to Danny but weren’t there other people in the room with him when the drill got fucked up?

And I feel that Aleida isn’t developed enough for me to care about any aspect of her story beyond her relationship with Margo. Her relationship with the Feds, her dad’s dementia, her ex, her son, there’s too much sizzle and not enough steak.

Also it’s waaaaaay too late in the season to introduce boardroom drama into the stuff happening at Helios. “Hi, I’ve known Dev forever. I love that guy, he’s brilliant. That said fuck him, money please.” Like… no. Maybe spare us what feels like the umpteenth chat between Ellen and Pam that went nowhere and establish a board structure at Helios more than 5 minutes before they show up to drop a deuce in the pool.

Well that was certainly an episode of this show.

Spoilers below...

I guess one way to get yourselves out of the corner you painted yourself into is to literally blow it up.

I didn't like Jimmy's arc before this episode and now I think it just stunk. It wasn't even interesting, they could have gone full incel / conspiracy goblin or full simp but they did neither. I don't even know what I'm supposed to think he believes? That NASA lying about the shit that happened to his parents? Why? To what end? He's like a Q believer... except he regularly hangs out with people who'd be in on the conspiracy, one of whom is his brother, who tells him about shit like fucking Karen, so he'd definitely know if the conspiracies were real? I don't get this entire thread, it's just wildly unsatisfying. I know that conspiracy goobers IRL don't make sense but this is a TV show, you've got to stitch it together, you can't just throw a bunch of fabric swatches onto one another and call it a quilt.

We're meant to believe that nobody sussed out that Danny fucked up the drill? I'd need to go back and watch it, but weren't there shots of people side eyeing the decision to let him keep working at that station at the time? And their brilliant plan is to let an addict be by himself for a month at a time? He's gonna fucking die, or at some point they're gonna have to share a ride home so what exactly is the fucking point here?

This season spent so much time on the Stevens brother and the payoff was uh... not great.

The timing of Margo's "escape" sure was convenient. 

Poor Karen. It seemed like from the start of this season they didn't really know what to do with her. Astronaut's wife to small business owner? Sure. Leveraging her relationship with Tracy's husband to get a sick payout for selling the bar? Absolutely. Parlaying that into being the CEO of an aerospace company? What? I don't wanna be too unkind here but it feels bizarre to give her that much of a glow up and then blow her to kingdom come.

The stuff with the astronauts was generally really good all season. I wish they'd done something more with the North Korean dude. Ellen's stuff was very sweet even if it felt like it took a long time to get there. 

A couple lousy episodes of this show are still better than most other shows, so I guess I shouldn't complain all that much. But I think the reason that the stuff with the Stevens boys just kinds limped along was that they had the least amount of time in the oven, and given that we're in 2009, I wonder what the next season is going to be about. Ed was probably too old to be flying in this season, he for sure will be in the oughts, so... who knows. Maybe we'll run into aliens.

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Well that was certainly an episode of this show.

Spoilers below...

I guess one way to get yourselves out of the corner you painted yourself into is to literally blow it up.

I didn't like Jimmy's arc before this episode and now I think it just stunk. It wasn't even interesting, they could have gone full incel / conspiracy goblin or full simp but they did neither. I don't even know what I'm supposed to think he believes? That NASA lying about the shit that happened to his parents? Why? To what end? He's like a Q believer... except he regularly hangs out with people who'd be in on the conspiracy, one of whom is his brother, who tells him about shit like fucking Karen, so he'd definitely know if the conspiracies were real? I don't get this entire thread, it's just wildly unsatisfying. I know that conspiracy goobers IRL don't make sense but this is a TV show, you've got to stitch it together, you can't just throw a bunch of fabric swatches onto one another and call it a quilt.

We're meant to believe that nobody sussed out that Danny fucked up the drill? I'd need to go back and watch it, but weren't there shots of people side eyeing the decision to let him keep working at that station at the time? And their brilliant plan is to let an addict be by himself for a month at a time? He's gonna fucking die, or at some point they're gonna have to share a ride home so what exactly is the fucking point here?

This season spent so much time on the Stevens brother and the payoff was uh... not great.

The timing of Margo's "escape" sure was convenient. 

Poor Karen. It seemed like from the start of this season they didn't really know what to do with her. Astronaut's wife to small business owner? Sure. Leveraging her relationship with Tracy's husband to get a sick payout for selling the bar? Absolutely. Parlaying that into being the CEO of an aerospace company? What? I don't wanna be too unkind here but it feels bizarre to give her that much of a glow up and then blow her to kingdom come.

The stuff with the astronauts was generally really good all season. I wish they'd done something more with the North Korean dude. Ellen's stuff was very sweet even if it felt like it took a long time to get there. 

A couple lousy episodes of this show are still better than most other shows, so I guess I shouldn't complain all that much. But I think the reason that the stuff with the Stevens boys just kinds limped along was that they had the least amount of time in the oven, and given that we're in 2009, I wonder what the next season is going to be about. Ed was probably too old to be flying in this season, he for sure will be in the oughts, so... who knows. Maybe we'll run into aliens.

Very much this. This season was frustrating so many times because the characters felt like they were manufacturing their own drama. The Stevens brothers suck so fucking much it's hard to put into words, and you've already described a lot of that.

The story of Kelly and the Russian guy (who got so little screen time was nothing more than a plot device) getting pregnant is also incredibly infuriating. These people are really that unprofessional that they just gotta have their fling with a rando on an alien planet with no hope of help if you get pregnant, subsequently risking the lives and deeply impacting the livelihood of the rest of the crew? You fuckers couldn't even limit yourself to sexual activity other than intercourse? Give me a fucking break. You suck as people. Even if I was willing to accept that people in that position would make that "mistake" it makes you deeply unlikeable characters and I don't want to watch your "story."

I don't wanna be too hard on a show I genuinely really like, but...

i wonder if they've thought about the extent to which they're consistently cruel to the kids on this show. Shane is dead. Danny and Jimmy both deserve the death penalty. Kelly is having raw dog space adventures (goals) but we're not even using the rhythm method here?

And the Helios stuff was just... bad. Karen calling out Dev for behaving erratically, but we haven't known him long enough to see that? Pinning the company's issues on Karen getting an office when the board was apparently always there but didn't have a say in a straw poll that could have let a bunch of people die in space so they could get to Mars first? And then the fact that his idea saved Ed and Danny's lives apparently counts for no cache with the board? Or Karen? And Dev's got enough money to just start another company, but not enough money to pay people? I don't want to get into the weeds but that whole arc failed every vibe check.