Divinity: Original Sin 2, Disco Elysium, or Fire Emblem: Three Houses - which long game would you opt?

gamer.tv

10 hours ago, stepee said:

DQ11S

That's where I'm at, with some Kirby sprinkled in. It's an enjoyable JRPG. It's starting to drag on me now, but that's because of my quest OCD. 80 hours in, but I feel I can finish it in another 10 hours or so, if I focused. It's an enjoyable experience.

I haven't played the ones in your list, though. I want to play Divine Divinity, eventually, though.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Derek said:

80 hours in, but I feel I can finish it in another 10 hours or so, if I focused. It's an enjoyable experience.

Uh... you sure about that? DQ11 is exceptionally long, and S added a fair amount more content.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Uh... you sure about that? DQ11 is exceptionally long, and S added a fair amount more content.

I actually don't know. I've been on act 2 and my next step is to 

Spoiler

Forge the Sword of Light in the volcano.

I have all of the main game side quests done and maybe half of the Tick Tockington ones finished. I know there's an act 3, but that sounds like the shortest of the acts. 

Disco Elysium - some of the best RPG writing ever, the game is more "actual" role plating than most other RPGs, small in scope, incredibly focused on character

Fire Emblem - Lots of content especially if you want to play all houses. Pretty fun but the game is wildly unbalanced and with certain class combos and builds you can start steamrolling before the game is half over and 100% of the battles are a foregone conclusion

Divinity Original Sin 2 - goes big and wide whereas Disco Elysium focuses in. Also some good chances to actually RP

Really you can't go wrong with any of them. DE is absolutely the most unique of the bunch and has the least amount of "gameplay," but both of the other 2 can get busted to the point that combat is irrelevant anyway.

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Really you can't go wrong with any of them. DE is absolutely the most unique of the bunch and has the least amount of "gameplay," but both of the other 2 can get busted to the point that combat is irrelevant anyway.

I think DOS2 is really interesting in this regard. If you try to play the combat conventionally, you're going to get your ass handed to you by regular encounters. In doing so it actively encourages you to think way outside the box and do crazy shit, afforded by its rich combat systems. And when you do decisively beat a particularly hard scenario doing something wacky it feels so fucking good.

But to that same end, there's some really crazy OP shit. LIke, apparently throwing boxes at people is the most powerful shit out there if you spec yourself right and lug crazy chests around the whole game :p 

I consider this a great virtue of the game!

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, legend said:

I think DOS2 is really interesting in this regard. If you try to play the combat conventionally, you're going to get your ass handed to you by regular encounters. In doing so it actively encourages you to think way outside the box and do crazy shit, afforded by its rich combat systems. And when you do decisively beat a particularly hard scenario doing something wacky it feels so fucking good.

I’m glad that you enjoy its combat, but that was its downfall for me. I found it to be extremely slow paced, each and every enemy encounter is a long drawn out slog. It hurt the pacing of the game for me, and I couldn’t stick with it for that reason.

42 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’m glad that you enjoy its combat, but that was its downfall for me. I found it to be extremely slow paced, each and every enemy encounter is a long drawn out slog. It hurt the pacing of the game for me, and I couldn’t stick with it for that reason.

You should play it co-op

:troll:

Hm. I've thought many things about Divinity's combat, most of them good, and none of them ever approached "slog." In fact, being in combat was always the best part of the game. I mean the story was fine but I wasn't there for the story, so in terms of "pacing" the more I was in combat the happier I was.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should play it co-op

No thanks, I’m a lone wolf.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Hm. I've thought many things about Divinity's combat, most of them good, and none of them ever approached "slog." In fact, being in combat was always the best part of the game. I mean the story was fine but I wasn't there for the story, so in terms of "pacing" the more I was in combat the happier I was.

I like the graphics and environments most about the game, the story and characters aren’t all that compelling IMO. The turn-based combat is well designed, but each and every enemy encounter is long and drawn out. There are no fast battles where you can dispatch enemies quickly, every battle drags on for longer than I would like. I acknowledge that it’s a good game, it just doesn’t appeal to me all that much. I like Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga more myself.

14 hours ago, legend said:

But to that same end, there's some really crazy OP shit. LIke, apparently throwing boxes at people is the most powerful shit out there if you spec yourself right and lug crazy chests around the whole game :p 

I consider this a great virtue of the game!

Yeah, that’s all true. I think the difference between something like DOS2 and FE in terms of “broken” combat is that in DOS2 it’s often creative and fun, and even with the same team / specs you can riff on how you approach fights. In FE, it’s generally the same strategies that work everywhere. DOS2 encourages creativity even if you don’t need it, FE doesn’t really allow it to a meaningful extent.

And again, I think there’s a lot of fun to be had in all the games on this list.

• Like 1