If civil war or foreign threat required it, would you take up arms in a 'just war'?

If civil war or foreign threat required it, would you take up arms in a 'just war'?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If civil war or foreign threat required it, would you take up arms in a 'just war'?

• Yes
    • No

(Required as in 'justified', not necessarily conscription)

As an American who has lived in relative comfort, I've been thinking about this question in the aftermath of Russia invading Ukraine. I'm curious to see how other people think of such a question.

I am firmly committed to non-violence. I would be fine to participate in non-violent support of national defense, like in food or medical areas. But I’m not joining in the armed part of the conflict.

I would probably join the Marines/Navy in some sort of support/engineering role, not because I’m afraid to kill or be killed, but because I’d just be more valuable to the effort in that way. If it was a truly just war, and I was conscripted, I would accept my fate and perform my duty to the best of my ability. Defending your home is a totally different ballgame compared to invading and occupying a smaller enemy.

With that said, my lungs/breastplate and spine are a little fucked up so I don’t know how long I’d last in a real combat scenario, lol

I would. I'm already self destructive by nature, give me a righteous cause to go get shot at and I'd probably do it.

Of course i already washed out of the military once, so that's likely an empty threat unless they get really desperate and are okay with the whole "I broke both of my feet at the same time the last time we tried this" thing.

If it was justified in my eyes I would always choose to fight and defend.

The problem is, in today’s America what the fuck is justified for me? A civil war? Nah because I’d likely choose to escape towards a more sane state. An invasion? Hmm maybe. A millennial version of Red Dawn with China?

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

If the US falls into chaos the rest of the world is going with it, leaving isn't going to do you any good.

It's like the people that stash all their money in their home because they think the banking system will fail and only good and silver will be worth anything. Shit son, at that point the only currency is lead and bottle caps.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

If the US falls into chaos the rest of the world is going with it, leaving isn't going to do you any good.

I keep telling this to smug online Canadians! If we go down we’re taking you with us! Or at least you’ll be getting a lot of violence, far more than you’re used to seeing. 

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I keep telling this to smug online Canadians! If we go down we’re taking you with us! Or at least you’ll be getting a lot of violence, far more than you’re used to seeing. 

Did they forget what the truckers did? 

7 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yeah realistically the only time I'd have to take up arms to defend my home would be if the breakaway Republic of the Dakotas decided to invade western Canada.

It is an interesting prospect. Like, China and the US are the two countries where if things go tits up, things get pretty shitty for everyone. It reminds me of the bronze age collapse. Most historians think that strictly government-controlled economies of the time were so inflexible and intertwined (you need copper and zinc to make bronze, they are basically never found in the same place, therefore importing is necessary for everyone) that it became a house of cards. A drought in Asia Minor causes an uprising in Crete, which causes an invasion of Egypt or wherever. Next thing you know, all government has been overthrown, Greek goes dark, next time we hear from them it's hundreds of years later, they're speaking a different language and using a new alphabet.

So I guess it's true. If things go tits up here, no one is insulated.

22 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It is an interesting prospect. Like, China and the US are the two countries where if things go tits up, things get pretty shitty for everyone. It reminds me of the bronze age collapse. Most historians think that strictly government-controlled economies of the time were so inflexible and intertwined (you need copper and zinc to make bronze, they are basically never found in the same place, therefore importing is necessary for everyone) that it became a house of cards. A drought in Asia Minor causes an uprising in Crete, which causes an invasion of Egypt or wherever. Next thing you know, all government has been overthrown, Greek goes dark, next time we hear from them it's hundreds of years later, they're speaking a different language and using a new alphabet.

So I guess it's true. If things go tits up here, no one is insulated.

The Bronze Age Collapse is such a fascinating period that we have so very little information about!

• Halal 1