Sports betting thread?

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

...and I assume @Slug

Very, very low stakes just to make games I don't have a rooting interest in more entertaining to watch.  Like, $1 on a game that's on TV or $5 on a weekend parlay or something.  And even then it's like one or two wuss bets a month.  That's about it.

As for what I bet on, anything really.  Mostly whatever American sport is in season.  Though I do like betting on sports I don't know shit about.  Golf Tournament?  Sure I'll put $2 on Whitey O'hittinballs to win the big golf match even though I've never heard of anyone on the leaderboard.  East Chennai Bowlers vs. the Nepal Batwhackers in a cricket championship?  Let's go fightin' Batwhackers!

I do place a $20 futures bet every year for the Commanders to win the Super Bowl, but that's really just a $20 annual fee for my lifetime membership in the Masochists Club.

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I know we have some degenerate gamblers like @ManUtdRedDevilsand I assume @Slug, and it would appear from recent comments @Zaku3

I have recently begun baseball betting. Mostly dopey low stakes parlays for the funsies. What do you all like to bet on?

Would be nice to go pro but that's unlikely. I enjoy it alot. I am more interested in being right then winning or losing money. My current plans are to keep building my bank roll. I make 3-5% bets. I don't recommend parley's though. The money looks good but you are just stacking the odds against you. If you do parley's keep em simple and small. So like 2 money lines, or money line and gosl totals. 

I watch only soccer really so I bet on just about every league. However I am trying to improve my win rate so I only bet on things I feel are a sure thing. I generally look for bets that have a good chance of happening and atleast double my stake.

I wish they had the Colombian league though. Junior has been doing really well.

To prove my point. I am doing a parley. Tottenham to win and both teams to score. There was a boost for adding Son to score at any time but felt this is "safer".

I use bet365 forgot to mention. Combo of having them shoved down my throat by ads. My draft kings account is messed up and well while ideally you should have multiple bookies I am not rich thus can't have large bank rolls at multiple sports books.

Tottenham have won four of their last five at home, scoring 16 goals in the process.

Five of the last six North London derbies have seen both teams score.

Spurs have never lost to Arsenal at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

My evidence but it is a derby so I could be wrong and Spurs aren't that dependable.

Since we are probably ly not getting legal sports betting in Texas until next session, I’m still using my old BOVADA account from my young adult years. Since I get paid for crypto mining in BTC, figured that will be my gambling money.

I mostly bet baseball and basketball (pro and college)

I bet for fun so I mainly build parlays. I look for bets that have a minimum +300. I bet heavily on soccer since you can bet that all year round and can always find pretty good odds. I also bet a lot on football since that schedule is compact and easy to get up to speed and find value. Outside the two heavy hitters, I bet the NBA, MLB, tennis, and UFC pretty regularly. I stay away from the NHL, golf, and racing. 

I only bet on football; with all of the other leagues I only know my favorite team particularly well, but when it comes to football I watch whatever and whenever it is on, so I have a better sense of how good the various teams are. That said all of my bets are chump change, $5-10 prop parlays that I try to get around +1000 just to make it fun. Doing straight spread/moneyline sounds boring.

Been live betting a lot of the 7th inning and on in games. A couple of stressful moments last night, but my bank has slowly grown to 2.5x my starting point with a bunch of small wins.

I don’t know how people do this with big money on the line.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:32 AM, sblfilms said:

Been live betting a lot of the 7th inning and on in games. A couple of stressful moments last night, but my bank has slowly grown to 2.5x my starting point with a bunch of small wins.

I don’t know how people do this with big money on the line.

True story. There is usually a good amount of "value". Basically bets that are likely to happen but have positive odds. 

I had at the time a 600 dollar bank roll and bet like 500 dollars on Peru vs Chile to have 4 goals or more. I am freaking out and cash out to avoid major loses. But I was right. 4 goals in the last like 10min of the game.

I’ve been doing something that is a little interesting to me. I’ve found that my hit rate on baseball parlays in the +500-700 range is around 25%, so I made an account where all I do is bet $10 each day on a park of that range and I’m (slowly) growing that account. I am sure there will come a time where it goes sideways and I start missing below the 20% threshold, but interesting to look at conservative strategies that never bet big wins but overall are positive tending over now a 4 week period. Planning to do this for the rest of the season and see how it plays out.

7 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Had a +2120 bet blown by Man Utd. This team screwed me all year 

I had Judge with 2+ hits, 6+ total bases, and a Yankees win on the first game of the Sunday double at +1350. Judge hits the homer late to get to the 6+ total bases on 3 hits, and the Yankees were set up for a comeback when we all got Chapman’d

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I had Judge with 2+ hits, 6+ total bases, and a Yankees win on the first game of the Sunday double at +1350. Judge hits the homer late to get to the 6+ total bases on 3 hits, and the Yankees were set up for a comeback when we all got Chapman’d

If the Yankees continue to look this good, Cashman will need to find a new closer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Chris- said:

United fan or not, I think we all agree that at this point all you can really do is laugh about it. 

You have to laugh to keep from crying.

And realize that you might as well turn your suffering in C.R.E.A.M.

• 4 weeks later...