Nationwide baby formula shortage crisis

FORTUNE.COM

A recall of Abbott Nutrition products and supply chain issues have combined to create a perfect storm.

As of April 24, six states have out-of-stock rates higher than 50%: Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas, and Tennessee. Three weeks ago, only seven states were suffering an out-of-stock rate exceeding 40%. Now there are 26, according to Datasembly.

As a result, major suppliers and retail chains including CVS, Target, and Walgreens have begun to limit the number of powdered baby formula cans that customers can buy at once. 

“Following supplier challenges and increased customer demand, we currently have a limit of three baby formula products per purchase in our stores and online,” CVS said in a statement to Fortune. “We’re continuing to work with our baby formula vendors to address this issue and we regret any inconvenience this causes our customers.” 

220508102513-03-us-baby-formula-shortage
WWW.CNN.COM

For months stores nationwide have been struggling to stock enough baby formula. Manufacturers say they're producing at full capacity and making as much formula as they can, but it's still...

The out-of-stock rate for baby formula hovered between 2% and 8% in the first half of 2021, but began rising sharply last July. Between November 2021 and early April 2022, the out-of-stock rate jumped to 31%, data from Datasembly showed.

That rate increased another 9 percentage points in just three weeks in April, and now stands at 40%, the statistics show. In six states — Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas and Tennessee — more than half of baby formula was completely sold out during the week starting April 24, Datasembly said.

Finding standard formula has become difficult for parents, many of whom described the extraordinary lengths they've gone to in order to score even a single can or bottle. Specialized formula is even harder to locate amid the widespread shortage. Parents are driving to neighboring states to try their luck, and many are pleading for help on social media, imploring strangers to share or even barter any extra supply they may have.

Screen-Shot-2022-05-09-at-3.54.17-PM.png
WWW.MOTHERJONES.COM

Women can’t just turn on their breasts like a free-flowing spigot of breast milk. It’s the kind of crisis that parents—both left and right—are going to remember this November.

Fox News was pushing this as their big THE WORLD IS ENDING, THANKS BIDEN story last week.

I always find it amusing that there are people out there who blame the president for literally everything that happens. It's probably actually somewhat comforting to be that stupid.

• True 1

I was at a Walmart about a week ago and walked past the formula section. It was totally cleaned out. I thought that was weird. A few days later I started seeing these headlines about it. Someone I saw interviewed on the news said they had been having such a rough time that they switched to a foreign brand from another country and having it shipped over. I'm not sure which countries off hand but  I'm assuming they are reputable. 

Before I advocate for more titties in mouths, I would like to take this time to say that there is also a shortage/out of stock emergency with Lipton White Tea Raspberry 12 packs ... so if anyone can find some, reach out to me & send them my way PLEASE!

25 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I was at a Walmart about a week ago and walked past the formula section. It was totally cleaned out. I thought that was weird. A few days later I started seeing these headlines about it. Someone I saw interviewed on the news said they had been having such a rough time that they switched to a foreign brand from another country and having it shipped over. I'm not sure which countries off hand but  I'm assuming they are reputable. 

It feels a bit excessive to switch to a foreign brand unless they need a very specific dietary formula. Some of the main brands exist here in Canada and are not difficult to buy (Enfamil, Similac & Neste which is Gerber in the states) that they could probably get their hands on. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Basically: either it's Lucian, who's smart enough to cover his tracks with a VPN, or remarkableriots, who isn't.

Can't we just accept that it may be a new, unique user that joined the boards because he has an interest in gaming, DC/Marvel and the baby formula crisis?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Surprised Fire GIF

Legit one of my favorite things in TV ever and the perfect reaction to so much internet chatter