What's something you bought for $100 or less that vastly improved your life?

Nokra

I started thinking the other day about how much value my Kindle has brought to my life. I just throw it in my bag to pull out whenever I've got a few spare minutes, and because it's so light but can hold thousands of books, I essentially have endless hours of entertainment, knowledge,  etc. just at my fingertips, any time I want. The accessibility got me back in to reading regularly, and all of that reading has really enriched my life. 

How about for you all? Is there any gadget, appliance, service, or other product that you've purchased that is worth its weight in gold? 

• Like 1

I was going to say my foot bath/massager, but I'm pretty sure that was over $100. Totally worth it, though.

I'm going to get more philosophical with it, though, and say my first professional haircut. I never want to go back to cutting my own hair again. The boost of a good hair cut when you look at yourself in the mirror and go "daaamn" is worth paying for.

I'm not sure I can think of a gadget, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I was going to say my foot bath/massager, but I'm pretty sure that was over $100. Totally worth it, though.

I'm going to get more philosophical with it, though, and say my first professional haircut. I never want to go back to cutting my own hair again. The boost of a good hair cut when you look at yourself in the mirror and go "daaamn" is worth paying for.

I'm not sure I can think of a gadget, though.

Oh that's a great one. I shave my own head because I've had classic male pattern baldness since I was 16 :p but I think I know what you mean. It's like when you wear well-fitting clothes; you just feel more confident. :dancing:

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Nokra said:

One like this? That's one I've actually been eyeing already. What do you normally use it on? Back? Legs? Pretty much everything? :p 

The longer one. There's a lot of techniques with it. I usually start on my stomach holding myself up by my arms;

Front legs

Side legs

Hips 

Glutes/butt

Inner leg 

Upper back

Lower back stretch

Torso sides 

I got one of those Ninja™ Blenders. My old one just wasn't cutting it (literally) and this thing slices and dices everything (including my finger when I tried to wash it the first time) in 60 seconds. A solid investment for something that I was trying to do before but didn't have the tools to do it.

• Like 1

I bought clippers years ago thinking they'd be useful for my beard but then they turned out to just be way too big to use on my face. But just held onto them since I already had them and then they came in super handy when the pandemic hit (I'm pretty sure there was a period you couldn't even got your hands on them because everyone wanted them to use at home). I can get like 90% of the way to a professional haircut using them, there's a few spots (especially straightening out the lines along the back neckline) that I really just can't hit myself but considering all the bad clipper cuts I've paid for over the years I've been pleasantly surprised at how good of a job they've been doing.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure I got my first pair of AirPods for $99. To have the ability to listen to music/podcasts/movies with one airpod in and the other ear free to listen to my environment is fantastic. Add a good battery life and long Bluetooth range, it allows a lot of flexibility in my life. 

A more practical item that has provided a lot of value for under $100 has been a portable air compressor. I keep it in my trunk and used it many of times in emergencies. Plus it is nice to have a compressor for bicycles and sport balls. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am pretty sure I got my first pair of AirPods for $99. To have the ability to listen to music/podcasts/movies with one airpod in and the other ear free to listen to my environment is fantastic. Add a good battery life and long Bluetooth range, it allows a lot of flexibility in my life. 

A more practical item that has provided a lot of value for under $100 has been a portable air compressor. I keep it in my trunk and used it many of times in pinched. Plus it is nice to have a compressor for bicycles and sport balls. 

The Halo? I got one and it’s great. 

I’ll name 2 items. One was a TENS Machine I got off of Amazon for like $65. Bought it years ago to help with my wrist/arm pain before/after surgery. I have also fucked up my back more times then I care too admit and this little guy has been a life saver. Pain can be so severe but this gives me some relief when I can’t have my weed to help, but works great with weed.

So speaking of weed, another great $50 purchase was a Moko Digital Microscope to check in on my trichomes of my weed when growing. Was using a plain jewelry loop but they’re a pain. Not like this can’t be a pain but I can snap a pic to my iPhone/iPad but need a steady arm sometimes. Great image quality as you’ll see below

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

I paid a whopping $10 for Conair hair clippers years ago, and I haven’t paid for a haircut since. They still work just as good now as they did when I originally bought them. Easily the best $10 that I’ve ever spent.

7 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am pretty sure I got my first pair of AirPods for $99. To have the ability to listen to music/podcasts/movies with one airpod in and the other ear free to listen to my environment is fantastic.

I can understand listening to podcasts and maybe even movies with one AirPod, but not music. When it comes to music, stereo is a must for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

The Halo? I got one and it’s great. 

Don’t know the brand

4 hours ago, Rachel said:

You can listen to stuff in one ear with regular earbuds too. I do it all da time. 

yea but you have a cord hanging from your ear which gets caught by your arm and rips the ear bud from your ear. Plus you are tethered to your phone where I can get up from my desk, walk to the bathroom, refill my water, and get back to my desk all the while listening to my music and not needing to unplug my phone from my laptop. 

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I can understand listening to podcasts and maybe even movies with one AirPod, but not music. When it comes to music, stereo is a must for me.

I personally don’t care. It’s mainly background sound when I work or do chores at home. 

Sleep mask with bluetooth headset.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes to sleep in total darkness or likes to listen to anything while they fall asleep.

Even one flashing light can bug me when I am trying to sleep, so I love how it can turn mostly dark into full dark. It is also good for if I get a headache during the day and want to rest my eyes.

As for the headset side, if you're someone who likes listening to stuff when you sleep it's much more comfortable than a pair of wired earbuds for obvious reasons. But it's also much better than just listening to a speaker. It allows you to turn the volumn down and have it more coming from the inside than outside. Like your own heartbeat. Good for music, podcasts, or just ambient noise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Sleep mask with bluetooth headset.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes to sleep in total darkness or likes to listen to anything while they fall asleep.

Even one flashing light can bug me when I am trying to sleep, so I love how it can turn mostly dark into full dark. It is also good for if I get a headache during the day and want to rest my eyes.

As for the headset side, if you're someone who likes listening to stuff when you sleep it's much more comfortable than a pair of wired earbuds for obvious reasons. But it's also much better than just listening to a speaker. It allows you to turn the volumn down and have it more coming from the inside than outside. Like your own heartbeat. Good for music, podcasts, or just ambient noise.

Do you have a link for one you use in particular? That sounds amazing

• Halal 1

I have a sleep mask too and use it all the time. Since I worked graveyard shift back in the day (and still haven't adjusted my schedule) I'd be trying to sleep at like 9am or later and that's the best way to make a room dark during the day.

As for which one I used, I used some lavender smelling one (the scent is gone now of course)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LU512YW/?th=1

When I got it it was $20 though not $60! :o

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have a sleep mask too and use it all the time. Since I worked graveyard shift back in the day (and still haven't adjusted my schedule) I'd be trying to sleep at like 9am or later and that's the best way to make a room dark during the day.

As for which one I used, I used some lavender smelling one (the scent is gone now of course)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LU512YW/?th=1

When I got it it was $20 though not $60! :o

I have worked nights for a long time and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't affected my health. I started getting sleep paralysis around 2015 and have had to manage it. The thing that I've found works the best is simply keeping my room as dark as possible. Having like a podcast on while something covers my eyes sounds awesome. Typically I sleep with one earbud in, but it usually falls out

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I have worked nights for a long time and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't affected my health. I started getting sleep paralysis around 2015 and have had to manage it. The thing that I've found works the best is simply keeping my room as dark as possible. Having like a podcast on while something covers my eyes sounds awesome. Typically I sleep with one earbud in, but it usually falls out

Yep my co-workers did things like cover windows with garbage bags and such but sleep mask is enough for me and maybe a fan turned on.

I grew up with a streetlight right outside my bedroom window so I actually find it a little uncomfortable to go to sleep with ZERO ambient light (plus I'm nearsighted as shit so I like being able to at least see vague shapes if I open my eyes), but also I'm pretty sure I'd wake up with a sleep mask inexplicably under my mattress if I tried one. I remember in college I'd set an extra alarm on my OG Razr flip phone and I'd wake up with the phone underneath me with no memory of doing it (you could barely hear the alarm if I was lying on top of the phone).

Do you have a link for one you use in particular? That sounds amazing

Yeah, I'll link you to the one I got but you might want to just search Amazon for "bluetooth sleep mask". There is a wide variety and you might prefer one over the other. 

For instance, I prefer the Voerou mask that costs about 25 on Amazon(actually a little cheaper right now). It covers the nose a bit because I find that it maximizes the amount of light it keeps out. Another type is one that looks more like a pair of padded glasses. While I would imagine that may a bit more comfortable for the nose I decided not to try it because I was worried it would let more light in.

I am weird and very particular about my sleep. I find that I hate any type if visual stimuli while I try to sleep, but i like a good bit of audio stimuli. And even things like noisy neighbors doesn't bother me. I suspect it's because with my artificial valve loudly clicking in my chest all the time I have learned to mostly drawn ambient sound out.

When I am going to bed I like absolutely no light, but for audio I like to listen to a podcast, with relaxing music, and a little bit of a light rain white noise going on. 

Spoiler

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I grew up with a streetlight right outside my bedroom window so I actually find it a little uncomfortable to go to sleep with ZERO ambient light (plus I'm nearsighted as shit so I like being able to at least see vague shapes if I open my eyes), but also I'm pretty sure I'd wake up with a sleep mask inexplicably under my mattress if I tried one. I remember in college I'd set an extra alarm on my OG Razr flip phone and I'd wake up with the phone underneath me with no memory of doing it (you could barely hear the alarm if I was lying on top of the phone).

I like my room so dark that I think I made my cat scared of the dark. I tease him about it because....aren't you guys supposed to be nocturnal? 

He was laying on my chest in pitch black and I guess he forgot or didn't know there was another cat under my blanket. Because when she moved he freaked out like a monster had come to get him. Peeled out on my face like a car trying to gain traction, and then ran off. To this day he refuses to sleep with me unless I have the light on.... :lol:

• Haha 1

Air Pods (purchased on sale!) have made a significant impact to my workday. I pretty much just slip them in at the start of the day, recharge at noon and keep on trucking to close. They make taking the dozens of phone calls I have a day a lot more manageable.