Terrorists on track to seize control of Northern Ireland.

• Jason changed the title to Terrorists on track to seize control of Northern Ireland.

Well if things do get nasty there I hope it’s short and sweet. Like say they only burn down a golf course of (possibly) some rich douche mob boss that resides in the Florida region. Shouldn’t take long to spread with them lovely windmills surrounding the sea walls of the course. Then they put out the fire before it harms anyones else’s property, go for a Guinness and call a truths 

conan obrien guinness GIF by Team Coco

The Unionist DUP is being a bunch of sore losers;

5808.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson tells Downing Street he will not nominate ministers without ‘decisive action’ on Brexit protocol

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, the Democratic Unionist party leader, has rebuffed appeals by the British and Irish governments and said he will block the formation of a new power-sharing administration in Northern Ireland.

Donaldson told the Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, on Monday that the DUP will not nominate ministers to the Stormont executive later this week unless Downing Street takes “decisive action” on the Brexit protocol.

Such a boycott would trigger a political crisis and paralyse devolved government in the region just a week after Sinn Féin triumphed in an assembly election, making its deputy leader, Michelle O’Neill, the putative first minister.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Unionist DUP is being a bunch of sore losers;

5808.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson tells Downing Street he will not nominate ministers without ‘decisive action’ on Brexit protocol

So Westminster parliamentary systems have a filibuster too. Huh.

I will never not remind people that parliamentary systems allowed Hitler to rise to power. They are better in a lot of ways, but not all.

In a perverse way, the American system is kind of designed to not work, and it accomplishes that pretty well.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I will never not remind people that parliamentary systems allowed Hitler to rise to power. They are better in a lot of ways, but not all.

In a perverse way, the American system is kind of designed to not work, and it accomplishes that pretty well.

The American system is working as designed. It's "we the people*", and that asterix is doing a lot of lifting on what counts as people.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Most western parliamentary systems are designed to allow elected governments to enact their policies, so in that sense if the public elects bad people, then they can more easily do bad things. In the same way, the American system is designed to make it harder for bad people to enact their policies...and that makes it harder for any people to enact policies. Personally I prefer a parliamentary system, but a big part of it comes down to not only the base system, but also everything else around it.

For example, I think Canada's form of government is better than the US...but a giant part of that is because Canada's election system is not run by provinces or parties, it's a national, independent organization. Additionally, electoral boundaries are made in a non-partisan way and are considered quite equitable and representative on the whole. But if you switched that part around with the US (making Canada have extensive party control and gerrymandering, and the US have an independent and fair electoral system) then I might prefer the US to Canada. Because in the real world it's outcome that matters, not the philosophy if the system's design. On paper the US has a really interesting system, but in reality it's been corrupted and is failing as a result. Canada's system is arguably weaker, but in reality has held up much better because of the flexibility to change in a single vote.

• Halal 1