Biomutant - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

23 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I can’t recall when I’ve seen such mixed opinions of a game, scores from 9s to 4s. Seriously, WTF?

I just scroll down until I see review outlets I'm familiar with. I had to scroll... quite far down that list to get to anything I've heard of.

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I just scroll down until I see review outlets I'm familiar with. I had to scroll... quite far down that list to get to anything I've heard of.

Yup. It's going to be a 5/10 game and not worth trying out until it hits gamepass. I watched a few video reviews on it. It has a lot of issues.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, stepee said:

@Phaseknox i only wanted to see your review ;(

Yeah, I’m sorry to be letting a lot of you down with this one. I realize that many of you like my impressions, opinions and reviews of lower budget, mid-tier, Eurojank games since they’re my specialty. :p

I really was planning on buying Biomutant on day one, but I finished Assassin’s Creed Odyssey somewhat recently and then jumped straight into Valhalla afterwards which I’m at the end of now but still have the Wrath of the Druids expansion to play. After I finish it I want to take a break from big open world games for a while, so I’m going to wait to get Biomutant when it’s cheaper.

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I’m sorry to be letting a lot of you down with this one. I realize that many of you like my impressions, opinions and reviews of lower budget, mid-tier, Eurojank games since they’re my specialty. :p

I really was planning on buying Biomutant on day one, but I finished Assassin’s Creed Odyssey somewhat recently and then jumped straight into Valhalla afterwards which I’m at the end of now but still have the Wrath of the Druids expansion to play. After I finish it I want to take a break from big open world games for a while, so I’m going to wait to get Biomutant when it’s cheaper.

Very good choice 👌 

I've played a decent chunk more of it.  

Definitely a game that doesn't feel like a $60 game.  It's beautiful graphically, but that's the biggest highlight.

RPG mechanics are pretty solid.  Has a lot of gear to find, a pretty cool and deep crafting system.  Lots of customization with your character and how to build them.  All that is great.  If you enjoy exploring and scavenging, if you hit a POI they seem to be fairly fun to run around and loot to find new gear.  

But when you get to the actual Gameplay, it is a pretty big let down so far.  Combat is not very fun.  Enemies are spongy, and not exactly all that challenging or exciting to fight, at least so far.  You can unlock new combos, abilities, and weapons so that may get better as I get stronger.  So far though, it's not been all that impressive.  The world while beautiful, doesn't feel that interesting yet.  I'm not sure if there are hidden areas to explore and find secrets in, or if its all tied to POI's.

I would say wait for a sale or Game Pass or something at this point.  $40 would have been a fairer price for what I've played so far.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Definitely a game that doesn't feel like a $60 game.  It's beautiful graphically, but that's the biggest highlight.

RPG mechanics are pretty solid.  Has a lot of gear to find, a pretty cool and deep crafting system.  Lots of customization with your character and how to build them.  All that is great.  If you enjoy exploring and scavenging, if you hit a POI they seem to be fairly fun to run around and loot to find new gear.  

But when you get to the actual Gameplay, it is a pretty big let down so far.  Combat is not very fun.  Enemies are spongy, and not exactly all that challenging or exciting to fight, at least so far.  You can unlock new combos, abilities, and weapons so that may get better as I get stronger.  So far though, it's not been all that impressive.  The world while beautiful, doesn't feel that interesting yet.  I'm not sure if there are hidden areas to explore and find secrets in, or if its all tied to POI's.

I would say wait for a sale or Game Pass or something at this point.  $40 would have been a fairer price for what I've played so far.

I appreciate the honest impressions. Your complaints are exactly what I saw in the video reviews/previews. You took one for the team and thank you!

7 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

So what makes Outriders a better game than this?

:troll:

I cancelled my pre-order Monday afternoon.  Then re-ordered Monday night. :P  I wanted to play it, I could live with $45.  Game looks great.  If I feel it was worth it after 20 hours remains to be seen.  But it scratches some of my favorite itches, searching for loot and wearing a lot of clothes.  And props to them on having a method to have clothing sets on day 1.

So I've continued playing, and the more I play, the more I'm enjoying it.

I stopped following the main storyline, am I'm just exploring, hitting all the little markers on the map which are basically side missions.  This had me exploring a lot more of the map, and that's been far better than it was initially.  There is a lot to find on the map, lots to explore, lots of POIs, lots of loot to scavenge.  The gear and crafting is very well done, so the exploring feels worthwhile to find more and more crafting components.  

The combat is a little better with more skills and better gear, but still the low point of the game for me.  Even the sound effects during the combat just make it feel so "weak" overall. 

Even with the weakness of the Combat, I'm still enjoying running around the world and just collecting new things and upgrading my character.  The customization and new things to unlock as you progress is all well done.

I started the game up and I agree with JP. The combat lacks weight. Since your character is small, you often fight larger enemies but the larger enemies don’t feel any different than enemies your size. It’s definitely disappointing. While the combat hasn’t been a ton of fun yet, I haven’t found fights to drag on though. I picked saboteur class and focused on strength and agility. I have KO enemies higher with little effort and time. 

The beginning is very slow.  The game is trying to introduce the systems, story, and characters all at once drags the pace to a crawl. Maybe it would be less of an issue if the combat or story is top notch but so far neither is. 

Having said that, I am enjoying it.  Similar to Gods & Monsters, it has a PS2 vibe that I’m digging. I look forward to putting more time into it. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the opening few hours are really poorly done.  Way too much stoppage in action, and the way the dialogue is presented feels like it takes forever even if you quickly try to read through it and skip.  My initial impressions were very early in, just getting through those sections, and it really jaded my experience with the game.  

Once you hit the more open world part of the game, where you are left to do your own thing, it gets so much better.  It's not a great game but its not nearly as bad as first impressions made it feel like.  There is a lot to explore and uncover, lots of upgrades, some Zelda type aspects that you'll unlock better gear or abilities giving you access to more areas.

Is it a $60 game? Its probably big enough to warrant a price with lots to do and a pretty big world, but still would say it'll be on sale soon enough and you aren't missing much by waiting for the sales.  

43 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Dialogue and Narrator Settings are my main complaint in the early hours.  Curious to see what they come up with.

I think if you turn off the narrator’s voice and put the subtitles under the gibberish, it will speed it up drastically. 

My other main complaint is the menu system. It takes too many screens to do basic shit. It really could use a streamlining.

If the devs are given time, I could see a Biomutant 2.0 or Biomutant Enchanced Edition being awesome. I am digging what is here but it definitely is being dragged down by some poor design decisions. 

i personally havent really found the narrator all that bad.

game has been OK.  the combat is hit or miss and weird they didnt include a lock on for enemies.  the world looks great but there is a lot of things to do that its hard to decide where to go sometimes.

Here is the full changelog for the patch that we just launched, the entire patch will roll out on PC first and then Consoles as soon as possible due to the submission process and so on, will ofc give an update when it is launched there.

PC Specific

● Fixed crash with AMD-based CPUs with built-in graphics.
● Fixed crash when device info contains invalid display data on AMD-based CPUs.

Tutorial Area

In order to improve the pacing of the early parts of the game, we’ve edited dialogues to be shorter. We’ve also added more enemies and loot to these areas to better represent the experience later in the game.
● Added more early enemy encounters.
● Added missing loot in empty trenches outside Jagni Fortress.
● Added Item drop chance for Bunker 101 crates.
● Updated Best-Before memory to decrease the distance between the Nonos and the Pensai tree.
● Removed some parts of Out-of-Date and Best-Before’s dialogues to improve pacing.
● Removed multiple dialogue fragments to shorten tutorial area length.
● Removed some parts of Goop and Gizmo’s dialogues to improve pacing.
● Removed multiple camera presentations to improve pacing.

Dialogue & Narrator

● Reduced the amount of gibberish spoken before the Narrator starts translating.
● Added dialogue setting toggles for “Gibberish” and “Narrator” allowing players to select if they want to hear the narrator, the gibberish or both when talking to NPCs.
● Fixed narration and gibberish playing silently and producing an awkward pause when each corresponding volume setting is set to 0 instead of skipping the sound entirely.
● Removed the text delay animation when either gibberish or narration is disabled.

Difficulty Settings

● Added "Extreme" difficulty setting, where enemy damage and attack rate is further increased.
● Fixed difficulty settings not being applied for already spawned enemies.

New Game+

● Opened up all class perks for NG+ games. When starting an NG+ game, the player will now be able to unlock perks from all classes.

Settings

● Added Motion Blur slider to the settings.
● Fixed so the camera setting “Auto Adjust > Player” also applies for combat, if turned off the camera will no longer try to frame enemies while in combat.
● Fix Depth of Field toggle not being applied in dialogues

Items & Loot

● Increased chances that items found have a level requirements closer to the player's actual level when found. Players will still be able to find items with higher level requirements, but player level is now taken into account.
● Removed Common item loot drops from high level loot crates.
● Reduced the amount of healing items that the player will find from crates and defeated enemies.
● Increased base damage from melee bodies, handles and addons by approximately 5%.
● Reduced base damage from ranged bodies, muzzles and grips by approximately 5%.
● Fixed resistance stats not being applied for crafted gear when adding addons.
● Reduced gear addon resistance and critical chance bonuses. ● Ensured that quest reward “Diver's Helmet” will no longer drop as random loot.
● Removed slots from all protective suits.

Sound

● Updated melee sound effects across the board.
● Updated mount sound effects volume.
● Added sound effects for tribe war trebuchet.
● Updated sounds when the player lands inside HQ after being launched from catapult.

Combat

● Fixed issue with abnormally high damage output due to consumable top mod applying meta damage multiple times during equip and unequip.
● Fixed ability damage not being able to inflict critical hits.
● Reduced Dead-Eye Sharpshooter perk damage multiplier from 2.0 to 1.25 to ensure that it is comparable to other perks.
● Disabled end-of-combat slow motion camera for short combat scenarios.
● Adjusted valid angles for combat targets to reduce camera movement in combat.
● Disabled camera look-at when striking characters up in the air.
● Fixed a few cases where airstriking would not complete its last attack.
● Adjusted speed of some enemy grabs. It is now a bit easier to dodge them in time.
● Fixed kick attack from smaller enemies being too difficult to parry. Parry window is now more consistent and enemies can be staggered out of it.
● All Tribe Sifus and Lupa Lupin in the final encounter now react stronger to being parried, allowing players to parry and then counterattack.
● Fixed issues with tracking on Jagni Staff attacks. First three hits will no longer overshoot targets and dodge attack is more reliable.
● Fixed sometimes spawning double death particle effects on defeated enemies.
● Fixed issue with Pichu Nanchuk not stopping its animation.
● Fixed larger enemies with melee weapons animating too quickly at slow walking speeds.
● Adjusted hit reactions for Morks to make melee more viable and satisfying to use.
● Fixed issue with dodge shooting while reloading not moving the character correctly.
● Fixed issue with Airstrike sometimes being canceled.
● Adjusted the range for melee attacks to improve enemy tracking and reduce misses.
● Fixed issue where melee gap closer would sometimes overshoot.
● Fixed backwards attack for crush weapons resulting in a miss most of the time.
● Adjusted animations for unarmed and glove attacks to be faster.
● Fixed issue where the player would sometimes become stuck underneath larger enemies after being knocked to the ground.
● Added ability to slide underneath legs of titans.
● Fixed issue where the player would sometimes get stuck inside an enemy after a vault or legslide move.
● Fixed issue where the player would sometimes get stuck inside an enemy after Airstrike.
● Adjusted sound and rumble effect for successful parry to improve feedback.
● Fixed issue where Airstrike would cause enemies to be launched very far.
● Improved aiming for Jumbo Puff when throwing rocks.

Quests & Achievements

● Fixed game progress not being able to reach 100% due to unavailable quest states within a single playthrough.
● Fixed "Back to the Roots" quest sometimes not being completed.
● Adjusted tribe war flow to be more robust.
● Fixed the “Old World Gadgets” trophy correctly unlocking after finding old world gadgets.

Crash Fixes

● Fixed crash when moving objects between areas using Telekinesis.

User Interface

● New weapon Wung-Fu is now only unlocked when the player has crafted a new weapon instead of being unlocked when looting an individual component.
● Added correct “fast travel locked” message when attempting to fast travel while climbing a ladder or falling.
● Added Mercenary DLC indicator to the main menu.
● Added dark backdrop to QTE prompts to improve readability on lighter backgrounds.
● Moved Comic-book Effects to ensure that the counter QTE prompt is visible.
● Reversed Hypoxia Warning percent value to be consistent with other zones.
● Added fading to enemy & friendly markers at 30m distance to reduce HUD clutter.

World

● Remove several area objectives from Suburbia, as they are tied to the Moog quest and could cause confusion.
● Replaced a couple of NPC tasks that didn't work as intended.
● Added missing “No-Rain” volume to the sewer entrance at oil fields to prevent indoor rain effect.
● Subnautica station is now fully covered by correct post-process volume.
● Improved look for indoor puddles.
● Fixed issue where the player was able to fall through the world in the Myriad Fortress.
● Fixed issue where the player was able to fall through the world in an Ankati Outpost.
● Fixed issue where big oil planes were possible to walk on.
● Fixed Oil Field Monster's presentation camera being triggered underground.
● Fixed area objectives for Gutway 6G counting incorrect amount of Superb Loot.

Miscellaneous

● Disabled fast travel when jumping from water.
● Fixed issue where the “Unspeakable hand” Wung-Fu could cause NPCs to fall through water surfaces instead of drowning.
● Fixed issue with rocket NPC being stuck in air after explosion.
● Fixed issue with rocket NPC explosion particle effects popping when being removed.
● Adjusted free-fall duration needed for Mounts to trigger hard landing.
● Fixed attribute check labels in puzzles incorrectly being displayed as “Loot Chance” instead of “Intellect”.
● Fixed infinite jump while using photo mode.
● Fixed fireflies not spamming narration when caught.
● Fixed child memories being auto-completed when opening photo mode.
● Fixed some doors opening after using photo mode.
● Fixed smoke from burning villages sometimes being rendered as stripes on AMD GPU's.
● Adjusted default camera pitch up a bit so it's not positioned directly behind the player
● Fixed resistance being reset after modifying appearance

first big patch. Lot of good fixes. 

I just finished this game yesterday.  No real desire to go back to it, but might revisit with a Next Gen patch as well just to see the changes made and knock out more side stuff.  

Extreme Difficulty, the Narrator improvements, NG+ having all class perks, as well as the new sound effects might drastically improve the game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Biomutant - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 5 months later...