Biomutant - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

It's an open world action RPG with a ton of combat options with a repetitive structure. That can still be a worthwhile game, but the inflexibility in how you approach objectives really puts me off. A game like this feels like it lives and dies with how creative you can be in encounters. It sounds like the combat achieves that in spades, with a wide variety of weapons and abilities that can be combined in any number of ways. Only the very best games seem to allow much flexibility in solving puzzles (Portal, BOTW), so I wouldn't hold that against it. But when you structure a game around capturing outposts, why limit how you can do it? The mere mention of invisible walls in a game explicitly designed to mimic BOTW angers me.

Also, the more I see of this game, the less I like the art style. It's outrageous and crazy and I want to embrace a small studio taking such a large swing, but I can't help but find it grating and ugly.

Game Information

Game Title: BIOMUTANT

Platforms:

• PC (May 25, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (May 25, 2021)
  • Xbox One (May 25, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (May 25, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (May 25, 2021)

Developer: Experiment 101

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 67 average - 41% recommended

Critic Reviews

Game Revolution - 9.5 / 10

Considering Biomutant’s delayed and seemingly troubled road to release, I’m blindsided by just how good it is. Experiment 101 has clearly been afforded the time to see its vision through, something which is unfortunately far too rare in the cutthroat gaming industry. I did not expect this to be one of my favorites of the year so far, let alone one of the most enjoyable open-world games I’ve ever played. A true modern gaming miracle.

GameSpace - 9.5 / 10

Frankly, I'll be surprised if BIOMUTANT is not game of the year.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Playing Biomutant made me think of simpler times, when I just turned my game console on and started playing without a care in this world, or in any world at all. It was me, my old-school 30" TV and the game in front of me, nothing more, nothing less. While it for sure has some flaws like a slow start, some combat junkiness at first and a couple of cut-scenes that look low budget-ish, by no means they hinder the end result of this great action-RPG. If these weren't present, a perfect score could have been very possible.

INDIANTVCZ - Czech - 9 / 10

Everything in the game was done correctly. And even then, there's always something extra on top of that. Not once have I had the feeling that the developers from Experiment 101 wanted to 'cheese' the game.

Noisy Pixel - 9 / 10

Biomutant comes out the gate incredibly strong with high customization and a stunning world to explore. Players have agency over the adventure through interactions providing an immersive experience unique to the player, making it a must-play for any action-adventure fan. However, the more time you spend in this world, the more you notice where it could be improved. As some missions become less fun with no help from the low difficulty, you'll likely want to speed past some portions. Still, that's one small issue to an otherwise grand adventure full of wonderful features, gameplay, and beauty that can't be overlooked.

PowerUp! - 9 / 10

Biomutant is a statement of intent, a deliberate step away from the excess of old and toward a genuinely exciting reinvigoration of the genre.

Seasoned Gaming - 9 / 10

Biomutant is simply a joy. What it lacks in big-budget presentation, it more than makes up for by being unique, charming, and downright fun.

We Got This Covered - 4.5 / 5 stars

Biomutant could be the sleeper hit of 2021. Not only is it downright adorable, but it's also an absolute blast to play. Developer Experiment 101 has created a world that you want to explore, and it frequently rewards you for slowing down and taking it all in. Throw in some great combat, robust character creation, and a wonderful crafting system and you've got a game that should please even the most jaded of open-world enthusiasts.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 8.8 / 10

Biomutant is an RPG that has all the ingredients to become one of the best games in the genre this year.

RPG Fan - 88 / 100

Biomutant is a clever, quirky, and fun title with a ton of player choice.

Heavy - 8.75 / 10

Biomutant is a bit rough around the edges, but it largely succeeds as a fresh action RPG experience that shouldn’t be ignored.

But Why Tho? - 8.5 / 10

So while I can’t give Biomutant the across-the-board praise I had so hoped to when I started, it nonetheless delivers great gameplay, deep customization in numerous ways, and gorgeous visuals that will leave you awestruck for many hours as you explore the wide-open world it contains. Combined with its determination to not unduly punish players by keeping systems intuitive and making crafting choices easily reversible, Biomutant keeps its fun gameplay and beautiful environments open to many gamers who otherwise might struggle with the game’s many systems and combat.

GameGrin - 8.5 / 10

I enjoyed my time with BIOMUTANT and I can't wait to replay the game and see how it will play out if I make just a few minor changes to some of the decisions I made throughout the game.

Handsome Phantom - 8.5 / 10

Throughout the game characters remind us that it’s alright to remember the past but the past is just that, the past. We need to focus on the future while using the past as a guide. The team at Experiment 101 have done just that with Biomutant. They created a game that uses elements from games that we’ve loved in the past, while simultaneously moving these elements forward and blending them together to show us that video games can be so much more than we ever imagined they could be.

Nerd Much? - 8.5 / 10

Biomutant feels like Rocket Raccoon meets Kung Fu Panda meets WildStar’s Chua class – in all the best ways possible.

PlayStation Universe - 8.5 / 10

Biomutant is a fun title with some amazing visuals and a huge open world to explore. Experiment 101 have gone out of their way to make you feel like you're a first-time visitor to an unknown landscape. Though its morality system leaves a lot to be desired there is plenty here to enjoy. Despite suffering from some technical issues, none of it hindered me from pouring hours and hours into the game. If you're looking for something fresh, unique, and exciting, Biomutant is a brand new IP that you should play.

Worth Playing - 8.5 / 10

If you can live with the crashes or if the developers have patched it by the time you read this, then Biomutant is a rather excellent title. The open-world setting feels unique amongst other postapocalyptic titles, especially with humans being replaced by cute yet realistic-looking fuzzy animals. The world looks gorgeous but offers a ton of stuff to do with a wide variety to boot. The fighting is fluid and excellent, no matter if you're using special powers or normal weapons, and the flexibility of many of the game's elements gives it a ton of freedom compared to its contemporaries. Even in a month crowded with some legitimate heavy hitters, Biomutant is well worth playing for those looking for a good RPG.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.2 / 10

Biomutant is an open world role-playing game of a different kind and in a positive sense. Even if you use numerous gameplay elements from other titles and thus appear overloaded at the beginning, the beautiful game world fascinates with its look and its sound. Anyone who can overcome this initial hurdle and come to terms with the narrative weaknesses can expect a refreshing adventure that is worth every minute of the game.

Critical Hit - 8 / 10

Biomutant juggles a ton of balls at any given time, and while it might not be able to keep all of them in the air, it's still an ambitious open-world adventure that's hard to not fall in love with. Maybe it's coming at the right time as well, as its generally laid-back approach to storytelling, wonderfully silly crafting, and deep character customization more than makes up for the rough combat that could do with some more polish.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

I had a lot of trouble tearing myself away from Biomutant, and a lot of my grievances didn't really surface until I'd finished it and had time to digest. Before that, I was absorbed in exploring its well-designed world, plumbing ruins, collecting dopey looking mounts, and dressing like I just survived a landfill explosion. There are some unwanted mutations in its genes, but they're covered in fur and easy to overlook.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

Small problems aside, I’ve had a great time exploring the post-apocalyptic ruins of Biomutant. It’s a world that begs to be explored, and with so much loot to be found, it’s always worth going off the beaten path. An interesting story is backed up by wonderfully fluid, engaging combat, and it’s made even better thanks to deep equipment customisation options. It might not be the most polished open world adventure out there, but it’s entertaining from beginning to end. What more could you ask for, really?

Gaming Nexus - 8 / 10

Biomutant attempts to channel many inspirations into a compelling package. It does much of that extremely well, excelling at world building and creating a fluid combat system to drive the experience. The one area it falls short is in tying it all together with an engrossing narrative. It not only fails at the narrative, but even worse, fails at the very mechanics of delivering the story. Wander the world on your own initiative and experience a great game; follow the path of the main quest and suffer the letdown of a mediocre tale, told poorly.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

As satisfying its exploration is, the most striking take-away from Biomutant is just how astonishingly well it pulls off its intended tone.

Hey Poor Player - 4 / 5

Despite the few aforementioned hiccups, Biomutant is an expansive and thoroughly engaging open-world exploration game that fans of Fallout might recognize and enjoy. The game may have some rough edges, but it is especially impressive for an outing by an indie developer with much less resources and manpower than a major studio. Don’t miss this title!

Niche Gamer - 8 / 10

It certainly isn’t perfect, but Biotmutant is more than the sum of its parts, and that is saying something for such an enormous and packed game.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 80 / 100

The extreme focus on exploration and a good system of choices and consequences stand out in what Biomutant delivers. The title is still extremely competent in combat, in the use of different vehicles and in the creation of its universe, but there was a lack of polish in the technical part and in a more captivating story.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

BIOMUTANT is an adventure like none other. With its character creation and morality decisions, this is one that has near-infinitesimal replayability. At times the game’s ambition gets the best of it by feeling like it’s doing too much at any one time, but it just manages to pull it off. It’s wild, beautiful, and an amalgamation of the games it is so clearly inspired by. Offering the best of modern games, with enough originality to distinguish itself from the rest. BIOMUTANT is an accessible, exciting RPG that I can’t get enough of.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Biomutant is a solid debut from Experiment 101. Though a couple of the game’s concepts don’t feel entirely fleshed out, there’s still a lot to appreciate.

ZTGD - 8 / 10

Biomutant is a game I had issues with, but could not stop exploring the world.

Zoomg - Persian - 8 / 10

Biomutant is a great game for RPG lovers which blends different ideas inspired by multiple games. Even though the graphics aren't the best, but the variety of gameplay and interesting main and side quests make up for that. Overall Biomutant is a game worth playing and even replaying that RPG fans will enjoy.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.9 / 10

A little more variety, especially in mission design, wouldn't have hurt, but Biomutant is still a fun game and a good debut for the Experiment 101 team.

COGconnected - 78 / 100

Although the game falls short of greatness, this ambitious debut from Experiment 101 has me salivating for their next release.

MondoXbox - Italian - 7.7 / 10

Biomutant shows a big potential, but it unfortunately misses to fully reach its initial ambitions due to reused content, some narrative problems, and a technical production not on par with today's standards. The game is nevertheless still good and capable of entertaining with its frenetic gameplay and its beautiful scenarios; it's therefore recommended to lovers of the genre.

Gamers Heroes - 75 / 100

Biomutant is a charming entry into the open world space. The anthropomorphic creatures that inhabit its world are easy to love, the excellent narration of the story fills its world with character, and the combat is fluid, fast, and deadly. If you're a fan of open world games and want to experience a new setting, it's an easy buy. Just be warned that you'll instantly recognize many of its gameplay loops, and not in a good way.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 7.5 / 10

In conclusion, Biomutant may suffer some issues but it's not hard to turn a blind eye to these issues when there is such a wonderful world and fun exploration that will reward you with a lot of amazing loots.

WellPlayed - 7.5 / 10

Biomutant's weird and wonderful world is a treat to take in, even when its diverse gameplay elements don't always hit the mark. If you're looking for a fresh and furry take on open world RPGs and don't mind a little jank, this might be just the ticket.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 7.2 / 10

‎Biomutant is a game that has a good base in almost all its sections, but that does not get any of them polished to 100%. It gives the feeling that, with a little more time to polish certain aspects, the game developed by Experiment 101 could have become a real must-have for Action-RPG lovers.‎

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5 stars

Despite biting off more than it can chew, Biomutant is a creative labor of love with strong RPG hooks.

Digitally Downloaded - 3.5 / 5 stars

Biomutant's concept of a colourful post-apocalyptic kung-fu adventure is an intriguing one, and when all the pieces come together, it can be a riveting ride.

Fextralife - 7 / 10

Biomutant is an original and creative new IP with great ideas made with love, but on a budget. Charming as it might be, lackluster rpg options, repetitive combat and by-the-numbers gameplay pair up with small but tedious bugs that detract from the overall experience. A game that will shine for kids or teens, unfortunately falls short of its price tag for adults, who may want to wait for a sale.

GameMAG - Russian - 7 / 10

Maybe it's worth to wait for any potential patches, fixes, and changes to the overall balance and technical side, that will make Biomutant more engaging and fun, but as of right now it's hard to give a lesser score to such a charming game.

GameSkinny - 7 / 10 stars

Biomutant doesn't deliver on some of its more interesting promises, but its earnest, bizarre world is still a joy to get lost in.

God is a Geek - 7 / 10

Biomutant is a game that overreaches early, and spends the rest of its run time trying, mostly successfully, to regain its balance. It's lovely to look at and its world is a joy to explore, boots on the ground, but the combat lacks impact and precision, and technical issues mar the experience.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 70 / 100

Biomutant tries to do so, so much... Probably more than it should. That's why some mechanics are pretty basic or undercooked, and the reason why everything feels like "I've seen this before". It's a shame, because the setting and world are really, really refreshing an interesting, and it's easy to see there were good intentions behind it.

JVL - French - 14 / 20

Biomutant has a successful atmosphere and artistic direction. Even if the graphics are not always the level expected, especially monsters and NPCs, that light management is questionable and that there are still some bugs, the title offers an open world where freedom of movement is appreciable.

Kakuchopurei - 70 / 100

While its combat can use a bit more touchup and some presentation bits need a bit more tweaking & smoothing, the overall action and open-world gaming package offered by Experiment 101 is not to be missed. All in all, come for the furry critters & pro-environmental stance, stay for the grand adventure.

MonsterVine - 3.5 / 5

There’s some fun to be had with Biomutant, but it’s the type of fun that’ll attract a specific group of gamers that’ll throw on a podcast as they mindlessly explore the game’s world.

PPE.pl - Polish - 7 / 10

Biomutant is a very extensive production that encourages combat, but rejects underworked elements. Some will positively surprise, but the next strongly reject.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7 / 10

While this review may well make it sound like Biomutant is full of bugs, the one thing I might not have made clear is just how easy it is to lose hours to this game. With so much to do, time can fly by without you noticing. Yes, the graphics may not be the best with stuttering and pop-in in places, and there were occasional game crashes, but nothing is game breaking and it's a lot of fun. The humor will especially appeal to children, while the game is complex enough for adults to enjoy too.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

Biomutant is the rare case where the lovely screenshots tell the full truth, though a more robust combat system could have made this a GOTY contender.

TrueAchievements - 3.5 / 5 stars

Biomutant really feels like it has so much heart behind it, and that’s more than enough of a pull to keep you coming back for more.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

If the DNA of Biomutant sparks a re-evolution of some of the genre's dull spots, perhaps we can forgive the dull spots present here.

Wccftech - 7 / 10

Biomutant is a competent open-world role-playing game featuring a charming atmosphere and some solid RPG mechanics. Sadly, it fails to stand out due to its by-the-books open-world formula and the sluggish combat system. While the game does work for the most part and there are some interesting ideas here and there, there isn't a lot that Biomutant does better than most open-world games out there, resulting in an experience that is somewhat forgettable.

Areajugones - Spanish - 6.5 / 10

‎Biomutant is a game that mimics the proposals of The Witcher 3 or the recent Assassin's Creed, but with less budget. Despite having a truly interesting open world, Biomutant features flaws such as a wide variety of enemies, a repetitive combat system, an insubstantial progression, and poor narrative that make the game tedious in the long run. Less than 20 hours of duration and outstanding visuals keep the boat afloat and make the experience, as a whole, not memorable for better or worse.‎

DualShockers - 6.5 / 10

Overall, there’s nothing inherently wrong with Biomutant, except for maybe the narration and item names. The game will definitely find a fanbase but it just doesn’t do enough to stand out, especially with the pre-launch promise the game showed.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Biomutant is a bizarre mixture of playful and narrative genres in which fantasy, post-apocalyptic, magic, advanced technology and not least anthropomorphic animals find space. If we add to these elements the many mechanics that the guys of Experiment 101 wanted to implement at all costs, such as the Aura, the total customization of the character or the incredible number of weapons that can be made through the crafting system, it is not at all surprising that the action RPG has not been able to manage too much meat on fire.

Game Informer - 6.5 / 10

Biomutant has fun moments, but it stumbles in too many significant ways to make it a wholly satisfying experience

GameWatcher - 6.5 / 10

Biomutant's strong presentation and beautiful world invite exploration, while its combat makes you feel like a badass magic-flinging, gunslinging, Kung-Fu warrior. Sadly, its tedious missions and weak story make it increasingly harder to stick with the game the more of it you play.

Oyungezer Online - Turkish - 6.5 / 10

Biomutant is a unexceptional but enjoyable open world role-playing game. It doesn't offer many different things, but it doesn't make you regret the time you spend on it either.

Spaziogames - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Biomutant has multiple facets, some accomplished quite well, while others would have deserved more polish and a substantial overhaul to reach their targets. The experience is still enjoyable for large chunks, but Experiment 101 will have to do some more next time to fully convince us.

Washington Post - 65 / 100

There are so many borrowed ideas that you’re bound to find something you like about this game.

Xbox Achievements - 65 / 100

Biomutant is a scrappy and charming open world RPG, but despite its many systems and gameplay mechanics, there isn't enough depth and direction to make this game truly great.

Atomix - Spanish - 60 / 100

Biomutant is a game with good ideas that are executed in the most boring way possible. The experience is tedious and lacks substantial motivation for the player.

Explosion Network - 6 / 10

From the world to the character designs and the environmental themes the game plays around with, you can sense the passion from the team making Biomutant. It's an undeniable passion from the team, and there's a lot of ideas to love, but the scope here is beyond what the team could deliver in a well-wrapped package.

Filmweb - Polish - 6 / 10 stars

Biomutant is an ambitious title unnecessarily posing for an AAA one. Its vastness can make other studios envious at first, but it makes the game spread itself too thin.

FingerGuns - 6 / 10

Biomutant is an ambitious animal populated open-world with so much to do most players could spend 60-70 hours exploring without seeing everything. However, size is its downfall. The player will get lost, and bogged down in the morass of thousands of side quests, thousands of superfluous items, before they realise there’s not much plot to hang it all from. Add a number of glitches at launch, no lock-on in combat, and a narrator that will drive many players to distraction, and sadly Biomutant does not live up to its lofty ambitions.

Flickering Myth - 6 / 10

Despite its appealing open-world and charmingly oddball characters, Biomutant’s jank-heavy gameplay, short length, and over-familiar grab-bag of RPG tropes make for a frustratingly lukewarm experience.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

Biomutant presents a different take on the post-apocalypse, but a forgettable story and uneven gameplay hold it back.

GamesFinest - German - 6 / 10

Biomutant can at best be described as an unexciting and unmotivated gameplay mash-up that never really outgrows its 08/15 status. In short: The RPG doesn't hurt anyone and certainly doesn't mark a total failure, but it is still far too immature and doesn't really seem to have been thought through to the end at any point. In the end, the cuddly adventure degenerates into an undemanding and perhaps even child-friendly action game for entertaining fun, which is still searching for its own identity. Admittedly, some interesting and creative ideas have been incorporated here and there, but they never quite want to coalesce into a homogeneous mass. It seems as if Biomutant simply got lost in the abundance of its individual parts. The bottom line is that our Frankenstein monster will probably need a bit more than just a few additional seams until it is actually fully functional.

GamesRadar+ - 3 / 5 stars

Repetitive, formulaic, and downright strange, Biomutant suffers from an abundance of problems that get in the way of great ideas.

IGN - 6 / 10

Biomutant has a lot of the building blocks of a top-drawer action RPG but its cookie-cutter approach to objectives and puzzles starts feeling very repetitive very early on.

PC Gamer - 60 / 100

Biomutant's stunning world barely survives the painful narration, broken progression, and dearth of stuff to do.

RPG Site - 6 / 10

Some fun customisation options and unique charm can't save Biomutant from feeling unfinished.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 6 / 10

A lot of ideas and a decent amount of variety, but its lack of polish means there's no single aspect that elevates the experience beyond being an ok one.

Stevivor - 6 / 10

Biomutant ultimately wants you to invest a lot of time and effort in it, and I found a lack of willingness to do so.

TechRaptor - 6 / 10

A huge open-world game with a lot of fun novelties but annoying and broken issues.

The Games Machine - Italian - 6 / 10

Biomutant is a boring, repetitive and simply anachronistic video game with a lot of problems in the quests and world design departments.

TheGamer - 3 / 5 stars

At its core, Biomutant is a game that's still evolving. Plenty of bugs need to be ironed out, its combat system could use another coat of paint, and it desperately needs new puzzles – they rarely move beyond a simple "match-two-colors" format. Much of the game works exactly as intended, including a robust crafting system, a fantastic suite of side quests, and an open world that's begging to be explored. Dozens of great ideas are lurking just below the jank, and so is an enjoyable game if you're able to look past them.

TrustedReviews - 3 / 5 stars

Biomutant is a charming open-world RPG that is blatantly aimed at children, with a low difficulty level and overly cutesy tone that will likely put off older gamers. Combat is fun with a large range of craftable weapons and mutant powers at your disposal, but boring puzzles and a barebones story means there isn’t much else here to keep you captivated.

Windows Central - 3 / 5 stars

Biomutant has an interesting setting and world but is held back by technical issues, an unintuitive combat system, lack of proper characterization, and very repetitive missions.

LevelUp - Spanish - 5.8 / 10

Simply put, Biomutant is and enjoyable but medicore RPG that tries to bite more than it can chew. It has good ideas and a beautiful open world, but it fails at execution. Experiment 101 showed they have great talent, and I think their next project can be great. Sadly, Biomutant falls short.

Cultured Vultures - 5.5 / 10

Biomutant has a lot of issues that more lenient players might be willing to look past for its fantastic strengths, but the overall package is a tough sell.

New Game Network - 55 / 100

Biomutant bites off more radioactive waste than it can chew. It's an action game with a multitude of ambitions, but none of them are fully realized. The very dated presentation and poor performance only further hamper its already weakened potential.

Press Start - 5.5 / 10

Biomutant is a vibrant and beautiful looking game that unsuccessfully attempts to leverage so many different aspects of open-world games from the last decade. It buckles under the weight of its own ambition and is sorely lacking the focus needed to offer a stand-out open-world experience and carve out its own identity.

Sirus Gaming - 5.5 / 10

I name-dropped and compared quite a few games to Biomutant in this review and it is because Experiment 101 has clearly taken influences from so many games and attempted to incorporate it all into Biomutant. However, in the pursuit of taking so many concepts and creating something unique, Biomutant winds up feeling derivative and dated. It never does anything exceedingly well but also never does anything terribly bad, it simply exists in the middle and its biggest success is being an average game with a good combat system.

Bazimag - Persian - 5 / 10

There aren’t that many impressive things to find in Biomutant and it doesn’t feel like even the developers had a clear idea what was the goal here. Combat is too simplistic and kind of boring and the way that the narrator spells everything out becomes tiresome after a short while. The colors are vibrant and the beasts look unique but the whole thing just doesn’t come together in a satisfying way.

Game Rant - 2.5 / 5 stars

BioMutant manages to check all of the boxes for an open-world RPG, but it never quite reaches the heights that it aspires to.

GamingBolt - 5 / 10

Biomutant works best on paper, but it has too many derivative elements for anything alone to stand out.

PCGamesN - 5 / 10

If there's something to love in Biomutant, it's the vibrancy of its environments and its brilliantly dynamic combat. Unfortunately, you have to wade through so much repetitive, tedious open-world slurry that it becomes hard to enjoy.

Pure Xbox - 5 / 10

Much like the character you create, Biomutant feels like a Frankenstein creation of various ideas. Some are good, some are bad, but the end result is a misshapen product which feels messy and buried in its own ideas. Areas of the game that should have received more attention - like it's quest design - feel relatively barebones, while others feel overly complex. The repetitive nature of looting, levelling up, and looting some more never truly evolve and make the beautiful world often feel lifeless. We really wish we loved Biomutant, but unfortunately, it's a game with many ambitious ideas, but lacks the conviction to fully utilise them.

Slant Magazine - 2.5 / 5 stars

Where other games tend to have a greater purpose and complexity behind more granular mechanics that demand closer attention from the player, Biomutant remains a rather simplified, if overstuffed, game of loot-hoovering. In practice, you’re still chasing objective markers and wandering salvageable areas in hopes of spotting the “interact with object” indicator. But while Biomutant’s breadth of options does indeed make that familiar process more rewarding than the norm, it never quite offsets the accompanying increase in tedium.

3DNews - Russian - 4.5 / 10

Biomutant became a victim of its own ambitious. This is a painfully boring open world game with many unnecessary mechanics and "more stuff, less quality" approach.

GamePro - German - 45 / 100

Biomutant tries to pack a wealth of game elements into an Open World, but fails on almost all fronts.

PC Invasion - 4.5 / 10

Offensively mediocre in multiple ways, Biomutant is a waste of resources. It's not terrible, but there's no excuse for it to be this vapid and underwhelming.

CGMagazine - 4 / 10

Biomutant is the least fun I’ve had with a game in a while. Broken, shallow, and above all, BORING. This mutant should’ve stayed in the Ooze.

EGM - 4 / 10

Biomutant is trying to be too many things. It can be fun when you're comboing supernatural abilities and homemade weaponry to take down a group of bad guys as a furry little post-apocalyptic ronin. But its RPG mechanics are so clunky and uneven, and its various story threads are so underdeveloped, that you'll end up feeling like nothing you do actually matters. If you just want to explore yet another open-world and beat up some bad guys, then Biomutant will keep you busy for a few hours. Just be ready to encounter a slew of baffling and questionably executed design choices.

Push Square - 4 / 10

Biomutant could have been something special, but the ambitious project fails to capitalise on what it does differently. Trapped in the clutches of an open world from a generation past, its own ideas are thwarted by an overload of other mechanics and overwhelming menus. By trying to do so much, Biomutant skipped the part where it built a solid basis to work from. While there's still potential here, Experiment 101's first attempt hasn't realised it.

RPGamer - 2 / 5

Despite some interesting ideas, Biomutant commits the cardinal sin of media — it’s boring, and that ultimately seals its fate. The game has a gorgeous world and adorable character designs, yet it’s soulless and falls far short of its ambitions.

Paste Magazine - 3.5 / 10

I wanted to love Biomutant. I was rooting for Biomutant. I wanted to embrace this game, and it just wouldn't let me.

ACG - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Console Creatures - Recommended

Biomutant is a quirky and fun action RPG that falls into a formulaic pattern the more you play. Combat is fun and frantic and the level of character upgrades is a great addition but surface-level systems prevent a good game from being excellent.

DASHGAMER.com - Recommended

It isn’t flawless, but the added time simmering in the kitchen means Biomutant has come out to the table looking rather better than it might have if it had been rushed to store shelves, and that’s a lesson all publishers should be following.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Meh

Biomutant has charm, big ambitions and a big empty opne-world that does little to encourage exploration.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

For all the weirdness and fun it promises, Biomutant ends up a deeply conventional open-world action game.

GameXplain - Mixed

Video Review - Quote not available

Kotaku - Unscored

It’s a shame that Biomutant isn’t a better put-together piece of software. Its world feels unique, the way it blends different combat styles is fun and it’s a visual treat to look at on a big 4K TV. But countless bugs, performance issues, overly talkative NPCs, boring quest design, and a sense of overall jank makes it hard to excitedly share this game with people.

Player2.net.au - B

While lacking the polish of its well-funded cousins, Biomutant brings a whole world of heart to the open-world RPG genre that can’t be found anywhere else.

TheSixthAxis - Unscored

Experiment 101 have certainly tried to make the world of Biomutant all the more unique via its language, but it performs the cardinal sin of overloading you with new vocabulary every few moments.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Biomutant (25 May 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I can’t recall when I’ve seen such mixed opinions of a game, scores from 9s to 4s. Seriously, WTF?

Based on what I’ve seen of Biomutant, a score less than a 6 seems unrealistic to me. Of course I could be wrong, but games that deserve scores of 5 or lower are usually complete crap which Biomutant doesn’t appear to be. It looks like a 7-8 game to me which is what a lot of critics have been giving it.

After just playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Valhalla I currently have open world game fatigue which is one of the reasons why I won’t be buying Biomutant right now, but also because I rarely buy games for full price. It’s something that I’ll pickup when I can get it for $40, or less.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

I can’t recall when I’ve seen such mixed opinions of a game, scores from 9s to 4s. Seriously, WTF?

Based on what I’ve seen of Biomutant, a score less than a 6 seems unrealistic to me. Of course I could be wrong, but games that deserve scores of 5 or lower are usually complete crap which Biomutant doesn’t appear to be. It looks like a 7-8 game to me which is what a lot of critics have been giving it.

After just playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Valhalla I currently have open world game fatigue which is one of the reasons why I won’t be buying Biomutant right now, but also because I rarely buy games for full price. It’s something that I’ll pickup when I can get it for $40, or less.

Don't worry, in 5 years I'm sure this will make the "Phase's list of best last gen games" :p

• Like 1

From some of the videos I have watched recently the thing that stuck out to me was how boring the combat looked. The basic bitch enemies looked to be damage sponges, taking several melee combos and lots of bullets to kill just one. This just means that some of the bosses are going to be laborious chores, taking like 30 minutes or more to whittle down.