I was supposed to fly to Las Vegas this afternoon, 10 hours of delays later and the flight is cancelled

What a weird day.

A big storm caused cascading delays that resulted in a bunch of cancellations by the end of the night as flight crews started hitting their DOT hour caps.

Was going for the Cinemacon convention which started this evening, but now there are literally no flights available until Wednesday because almost every flight today to Vegas got cancelled which pushed people to rebook for tomorrow’s flights.

So bummer, it’s one of my favorite things of the year. I get to see a lot of my industry friends in person just at this event.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

So bummer, it’s one of my favorite things of the year. I get to see a lot of my industry friends in person just at this event.

Is there a different convention or industry meet-up that you don't usually go to in favor of this one, that you can hit this year instead?

3 hours ago, Slug said:

Is there a different convention or industry meet-up that you don't usually go to in favor of this one, that you can hit this year instead?

I will se some people at regional events, but this is the main event where everybody gets together from all over (including other countries). So I’ll miss out on all my international people even if I see some of my domestic people later in the year.

That sucks. Last time something similar happened to me, it was because of snow on the runway in Seattle, so my flight got delayed like 8 hours, by the time I finally got a flight to board, I fell asleep in the chair at the gate. Had to reschedule the whole trip at that point. booking agent was really cool about it, though.

You didn't try making a connection through somewhere else? Like going through Denver or something?

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That sucks. Last time something similar happened to me, it was because of snow on the runway in Seattle, so my flight got delayed like 8 hours, by the time I finally got a flight to board, I fell asleep in the chair at the gate. Had to reschedule the whole trip at that point. booking agent was really cool about it, though.

You didn't try making a connection through somewhere else? Like going through Denver or something?

The issue for today is that so many flights got cancelled yesterday that everything out of IAH today started filling up before we ever got a chance to look, so even finding flights with connections would put us 1) at airports all day again today, and 2) not getting in until really late. So we would be missing half the event no matter what, plus signing up for another terrible travel day 😂

Sometimes you just gotta throw in the towel!

Juanita and I did talk to some people who had it way worse than us. Their flight landed right as the grounding began, and there was no gate for them to get into, so it took 10 hours on the tarmac before they were able to get off. I thought 12 hours in a nice terminal sucked. Brutal.