You ever think you're stupid?

Fizzzzle

I feel like I've been getting more moments where I realize I'm just kind of dumb over the last couple years.

Maybe that's just getting older and gaining perspective. Maybe I'm just kind of a dolt. But I am starting to think that I might actually be of below average intelligence. I mean, that isn't crazy to think about. Roughly half of everyone has to be below average intelligence. It's like how everyone thinks they're a good driver, when math dictates that half of you are wrong in that assumption.

Nope. I don't think I'm brilliant or anything approaching brilliant, but I've met stupid and its quite demonstrably different. Now philosophically we could discuss whether or not any human is particularly intelligent, but its all on a relative scale. What you are likely feeling is humility with age. This is what led Socrates to quip "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing". I'm sure he turning right around and within 5 minutes and called someone in the room a fucking idiot... why, because we're human and we're probably, as a species, not the brightest amongst the stars.  :sun:

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I don't think it's possible for me to roll my eyes harder at that quote from Socrates :p

You know he probably said to win an argument rather than to advance an particular understanding. He was known to be kind of a dick. 

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

But I am starting to think that I might actually be of below average intelligence. I mean, that isn't crazy to think about. 

After everything that has happened the past 6 years, I can almost guarantee that you are well above average intelligence. The amount of stupidity we have in the US is uncanny.

11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I feel like I've been getting more moments where I realize I'm just kind of dumb over the last couple years.

Maybe that's just getting older and gaining perspective. Maybe I'm just kind of a dolt. But I am starting to think that I might actually be of below average intelligence. I mean, that isn't crazy to think about. Roughly half of everyone has to be below average intelligence. It's like how everyone thinks they're a good driver, when math dictates that half of you are wrong in that assumption.

A stupid person wouldn’t even have this internal discussion with themselves, they are stupid so they think they are smart.

Yea @Fizzzzle from what I read here on the boards you are very intelligent. You seem intelligent, mature, and independent. Just moving out of state like you did takes courage and intelligence too. 

Your reviews on the entertainment board are of professional quality lol. You also blew me away with all your NBA knowledge. 

Spoiler

Basically I want to suck your dick 🤪 

There are certainly times where I question why I made a certain decision.

I also find that intelligence itself is a strange concept that even “objective” measures fail to capture.

I think about people like my go to tile guy, Angel. He can’t read or write beyond about a 4th grade level, and that’s in his native language. But dude can do complex geometric calculations in his head that I struggle with.

I think like most people, I would say no, I’m not that clever. Then I think about who I benchmark myself against and have to think, what is being clever? Remembering a lot? Being good at problem solving? Making smart decisions consistently? All of the above? I have no clue. A cleverer person might be able to tell me.