George Will leaves Republican Party

I know it's not at all new to say so, but the Republican party has really been hijacked. Obviously it's merely anecdotal, but... My parents are lifelong conservatives, have always voted strictly Republican in every election (AFAIK), live in rural Idaho, etc., and even they didn't vote for Trump and in fact voted for Hillary.

I think it's great that Will is following his conscience and has the courage of his convictions. It's too bad that most of the people who need to read his piece in the Washington Post the most are likely part of the TL:DR crowd. :p 

4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I imagine this will be roughly as impactful as the National Review's big "AGAINST TRUMP" issue

It's less about the impact (Unless moderates rebel as they did in Kansas. Unfortunately, they did during a huge Republican year) and more about the fact that George Will left the Republican Party. I figured he'd die a Republican.

Is he joining America's other conservative party or just virtue signaling and will just be independent and still vote for Republicans who hold the same exact beliefs but openly talk about fucking over the poor and placing asylum seekers under rendition with the all important decorum?

19 minutes ago, run32.dll said:

Is he joining America's other conservative party or just virtue signaling and will just be independent and still vote for Republicans who hold the same exact beliefs but openly talk about fucking over the poor and placing asylum seekers under rendition with the all important decorum?

He called for the GOP to be diminished to the point of irrelevance. 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The fall-in-line mentality of 95% of Republicans is almost cult-like. There’s nothing inherently wrong with conservatism, but something has certainly become “wrong” within the GOP - it’s been brewing for years, but lately it’s boiled over.

But they vote, they manage to rally around candidates and causes, as shitty as they may be and then vote them in to office.  The Democrats have a much harder time lately finding someone their people can get behind and their message is just "do you see the shit Trump is doing?", which doesn't seem to be enough.

9 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

But they vote, they manage to rally around candidates and causes, as shitty as they may be and then vote them in to office.  The Democrats have a much harder time lately finding someone their people can get behind and their message is just "do you see the shit Trump is doing?", which doesn't seem to be enough.

Democrats have been turning out significantly more than Republicans since January of last year.