Hasbro (Wizards of the Coast parent company) to acquire D&D Beyond digital toolset

Commissar SFLUFAN

Party_Art.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

‘We have no plans to stop supporting D&D Beyond,’ Wizards of the Coast says

The parent company of Dungeons & Dragons developer Wizards of the Coast, Hasbro, announced Wednesday it is acquiring D&D Beyond, one of the franchise’s most popular officially licensed digital toolsets and online storefronts. Wizards said on its official website it has “no plans to stop supporting D&D Beyond,” and all purchases made by consumers will be honored going forward.

D&D Beyond is the creation of Curse, and launched in 2017. The platform is, at its core, a web application and mobile app that provides players and Dungeon Masters (DMs) with the tools they need to play D&D in person or online. Features include a character builder, a character sheet, and a digital dice-rolling function. For DMs, it allows users to purchase official campaign books and other materials digitally for use inside the app. Prices for D&D books are traditionally more or less the same on D&D Beyond as they are on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and at your local game store.

D&D Beyond was purchased by Fandom in 2018 and, according to Hasbro, the relationship has been very lucrative since that time.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:25 AM, Anathema- said:

I always thought it was weird (greedy) that you had to buy separate digital copies of all the books. This makes more sense!

This has always frustrated me because I hate buying content twice, and as a result it's annoying for me to use DNDB for anything beyond what's in the SRD.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love for them to come up with a way to get the digital version in dndbeyond if I already own the physical copy.

I love the encounter builder, but always sucks finding monsters I have to manually build because they are locked behind digital content.

My hope is they build a campaign tool or a digital battle map tool. I use owlbesr rodeo now, but would be nice to have it in a single system.