U.S. is denying passports to Americans along the border, throwing their citizenship into question

As he would later learn, Juan is one of a growing number of people whose official birth records show they were born in the United States but who are now being denied passports — their citizenship suddenly thrown into question. The Trump administration is accusing hundreds, and possibly thousands, of Hispanics along the border of using fraudulent birth certificates since they were babies, and it is undertaking a widespread crackdown on their citizenship.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/us-is-denying-passports-to-americans-along-the-border-throwing-their-citizenship-into-question/2018/08/29/1d630e84-a0da-11e8-a3dd-2a1991f075d5_story.html?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_term=.62455d659631

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Diez represents dozens of U.S. citizens who were denied their passports or had their passports suddenly revoked. Among them are soldiers and Border Patrol agents.

Oh, the irony!

Maybe they don't speak perfect English.

“Individuals who are unable to demonstrate that they were born in the United States are denied issuance of a passport,” the statement said.

When Juan, the former soldier, received a letter from the State Department telling him it wasn’t convinced that he was a U.S. citizen, it requested a range of obscure documents — evidence of his mother’s prenatal care, his baptismal certificate, rental agreements from when he was a baby.

I doubt I'd be able to come up with documents like that. If you've had a passport and a birth certificate, I can't imagine thinking you'd need anything else to prove citizenship. Citizenship now relies on your mother being a packrat for 30 year old expenditures? 

Just now, TwinIon said:

I doubt I'd be able to come up with documents like that. If you've had a passport and a birth certificate, I can't imagine thinking you'd need anything else to prove citizenship. Citizenship now relies on your mother being a packrat for 30 year old expenditures? 

I don't even have my daughter on our rental lease, and I'm renting through a large corporation, not Joe's house down the street. Not to mention things get lost over that time period, fires, divorces, things stolen, etc. Just fuck everything about these racist pieces of shit.

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

They say they are picking people up in Texas. I better not leave Austin.

I don't think there are many people who could provide the sort of documentation they're looking for

When Juan, the former soldier, received a letter from the State Department telling him it wasn’t convinced that he was a U.S. citizen, it requested a range of obscure documents — evidence of his mother’s prenatal care, his baptismal certificate, rental agreements from when he was a baby.