Cuomo halted investigation into Manhattan DA handling of Weinstein case just as his campaign received $25,000 contribution from law firm

9 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Why isn’t she qualified?

I have an immediate aversion to a celebrity running for office, but I really don't know much about her and she could be an exception. Can you give me an overview on why she is qualified?

9 minutes ago, legend said:

I have an immediate aversion to a celebrity running for office, but I really don't know much about her and she could be an exception. Can you give me an overview on why she is qualified?

Well, in terms of education she has a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from Barnard College, so she's educated well enough, I'd say, it terms of broad qualifications. Like you, I am wary of celebrities running for office, but I've seen videos of her speak and debate a few times and she's incredibly well-spoken, well-mannered, and articulate. Cuomo has avoided debating her until now for a reason.

I fucking hate Cuomo and I wish Nixon would win, and I hate celebrities running for office haha. If that helps explain anything. She's not per se "qualified" in the traditional political career track sense, but I think she'd do a far better job than Cuomo, given everything I've read and seen about her during her campaign. :)

She's super progressive and super left and super liberal (compared to Cuomo) so people are finding anything they can to discredit her.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, legend said:

She’s over age 30, a US citizen, and has been a resident of NY for the last 5 years.  All other discussions of qualifications are meritocracy bullshit that’s meant to keep outsiders out and to avoid discussions of issues. 

Here’s an example of a pretty resume being useless:

http://theweek.com/articles/709088/how-andrew-cuomo-broke-new-york-subway

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cynthia-nixon-mta-subway-ads-andrew-cuomo_us_5afda284e4b0a59b4e019369

https://cynthiafornewyork.com/issue/fixing-the-subway/

5 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

She’s over age 30, a US citizen, and has been a resident of NY for the last 5 years.  All other discussions of qualifications are meritocracy bullshit that’s meant to keep outsiders out and to avoid discussions of issues. 

You think the only reason to be concerned about someone's qualifications for a political office is to keep outsiders out?

giphy.gif

I would like somebody with...literally any governmental administration experience. I don’t think it’s too much to ask that high office officials have actually worked in the system they seek to lead.

2 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

what qualifications are you looking for? Harvard law decree, 2 years as a prosecutor, kissed the right ass on a campaign, appointed to as assistant director as a reward

I don't have any singular specific set so me listing out the union of all possible things I find acceptable would be rather wasteful of our time. But if you think she is qualified you must have reasons and that's what I was asking you for. It's entirely possible I would agree and I tried to make that clear when I asked you.

But responding that qualifications don't matter or are just a means to keep outsider out is a super bizarre statement. Most people shouldn't be in a high-level political office (myself included--the world in which I'm a good choice for a high-level office is a very dark world indeed.) and we should absolutely be discerning and look for people qualified for such incredibly important jobs.

TBC, I'm also completely open to the possibility the bar is low given the competition. I still want to know where she stands in her qualifications though.

• 4 years later...