Haven't upgraded my cpu and RAM in about ten years

I've been wanting to upgrade for soooo long but i was waiting for the 3000 series to come out, then it did and now i finally got a 3080. So, with the hard part being out of the way, i'm wondering the best cpu and ram types/speeds i should be looking at. I've been out of the scene for so long

my current is an i7-4790k with 16gb of (ddr3? i believe)

best bang for buck ?

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There are some pros to going with Intel right now, but overall I'd say anything from AMD in the 5600X and up range is a great choice.

What are the cons? Only cons I know of are the heat issues, but that's relegated to the 12900k, I thought?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Paying more money for similar performance of an AMD chip.

12700k is cheaper than a 5900x and out performs it in gaming ( https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-12700k-review/4 ). You also don't have to deal with AMD's god awful BIOS's and, again, are more future proofed with PCIE 5 and DDR5 - which is great for people who rarely upgrade their mobo/CPU. I wish I waited instead of getting a 5900x tbh. )

9 hours ago, MeatAndPotatoes said:

think im going to get an i7 12700k with 32gb of ddr4(since ddr5 is really expensive right now, is it even worth it?) I do notice in some games my cpu really holding the 3080 back a lot, and im playing at 1080p right now.

DDR4 is def a cheaper option, I haven’t checked to see how big of a price difference there is between 4 and 5, but I know 4 is cheaper. Performance-wise there’s not much difference currently as long as you’re going for higher speed DDR4, the main reason to go for 5 atm is to be able to migrate it over to your next upgrade as 4 will likely be phased out. Just make sure you have at least 1 PCIE 5 port and at least 1 PCIE 5 nvme port (there’s no 5.0 nvme drives or 5.0 gpus available yet, 4 is the current max, this is keeping the future in mind). 

You’ll definitely currently be cpu limited with a 3080 at 1080p with your current CPU if you’re trying for 120fps+.

• Thanks 1

Something else to consider is that there will be new PSU power connectors for next gen cards. With a 3080 you should be fine for a while and I'm guessing there will be conversion kits included with video cards but it's probably best not to go all out on the PSU in case you need to upgrade it the next time you get a new video card.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

DDR4 is def a cheaper option, I haven’t checked to see how big of a price difference there is between 4 and 5, but I know 4 is cheaper. Performance-wise there’s not much difference currently as long as you’re going for higher speed DDR4, the main reason to go for 5 atm is to be able to migrate it over to your next upgrade as 4 will likely be phased out. Just make sure you have at least 1 PCIE 5 port and at least 1 PCIE 5 nvme port (there’s no 5.0 nvme drives or 5.0 gpus available yet, 4 is the current max, this is keeping the future in mind). 

You’ll definitely currently be cpu limited with a 3080 at 1080p with your current CPU if you’re trying for 120fps+.

and btw, even if just on high settings, cyberpunk drops to what i feel like is a bit less than 30 when maxed. even with medium crowd. if i bump it up to pycho settings, i see no difference in performance, but it looks more sexy

red dead 2 and elden ring are also great examples of a 4790k not able to keep up at all

3 hours ago, dualhunter said:

Something else to consider is that there will be new PSU power connectors for next gen cards. With a 3080 you should be fine for a while and I'm guessing there will be conversion kits included with video cards but it's probably best not to go all out on the PSU in case you need to upgrade it the next time you get a new video card.

IIRC the new standard was just recently finalized, so I don't think it'll be an issue for a couple years, but it's def going to be one of those annoying things that everyone will need to upgrade down the line.

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

IIRC the new standard was just recently finalized, so I don't think it'll be an issue for a couple years, but it's def going to be one of those annoying things that everyone will need to upgrade down the line.

The GeForce 4000 series is supposed to use it (though maybe it'll just be the 4090 that needs it) so probably not an issue for somebody with a 3080 who doesn't upgrade every generation but potentially a problem for anybody hoping to get a next generation card.

1 hour ago, dualhunter said:

The GeForce 4000 series is supposed to use it (though maybe it'll just be the 4090 that needs it) so probably not an issue for somebody with a 3080 who doesn't upgrade every generation but potentially a problem for anybody hoping to get a next generation card.

I think it has the ability to use it but it’s not a requirement for it, unless I misunderstood.

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:57 AM, MeatAndPotatoes said:

and btw, even if just on high settings, cyberpunk drops to what i feel like is a bit less than 30 when maxed. even with medium crowd. if i bump it up to pycho settings, i see no difference in performance, but it looks more sexy

red dead 2 and elden ring are also great examples of a 4790k not able to keep up at all

ya I had a 4790k and the bottleneck was bad for tons of stuff, it was a gigantic boost bumping to a 10850k. Honestly I think the ram speed improvements of going ddr4 might be the biggest help but either way any current gaming cpu and some ddr4 and a nvme should do you well.