Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He didn’t grow up extremely wealthy though. 

This is demonstrably false. 

GettyImages-1175168392.jpeg?width=1200&a
WEB.ARCHIVE.ORG

The CEO has been the world’s richest man and played a key part in some of the most well-known technology companies around today

As a result of [his father's purchase of an emerald mine], the teenage Elon Musk once walked the streets of New York with emeralds in his pocket. His father said: “We were very wealthy. We had so much money at times we couldn’t even close our safe,” adding that one person would have to hold the money in place with another closing the door. “And then there’d still be all these notes sticking out and we’d sort of pull them out and put them in our pockets.”

25 minutes ago, CayceG said:

This is demonstrably false. 

GettyImages-1175168392.jpeg?width=1200&a
WEB.ARCHIVE.ORG

The CEO has been the world’s richest man and played a key part in some of the most well-known technology companies around today

I believe you misunderstand the definition of the word “objectively”. The only thing in the article that gives any indication of the family finances was the ownership of a small plane, which the valuation puts them decidedly outside of any reasonable definition of extremely wealthy.

Just now, sblfilms said:

I believe you misunderstand the definition of the word “objectively”. The only thing in the article that gives any indication of the family finances was the ownership of a small plane, which the valuation puts them decidedly outside of any reasonable definition of extremely wealthy.

they obviously didn't have that mad movie theater money

Doesn’t matter if he was very well off or just merely “a little rich” it’s like arguing if bill gates came from wealth:they both had a privileged background (upper middle class at worst) that laid the foundations of their future success because of what their parents were able to afford them that 99% of their age cohort would not be able to do. They were in the right place at the right time and had the right background with a nice dash of luck. 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Doesn’t matter if he was very well off or just merely “a little rich” it’s like arguing if bill gates came from wealth:they both had a privileged background (upper middle class at worst) that laid the foundations of their future success because of what their parents were able to afford them that 99% of their age cohort would not be able to do. They were in the right place at the right time and had the right background with a nice dash of luck. 

It does change the notion that @Comethad that Musk’s behavior comes from growing up extremely wealthy. He didn’t, and you can observe his wild behavior shifts in adulthood from the end of his run at PayPal and early days of Tesla/SpaceX. His extreme wealth today seems to be a more likely culprit for much of his worst tendencies. He is divorced from reality and has a cult of personality to pump him up every time he does Musk things.

Prior to around 2008, he was a pretty reserved guy who honestly seemed to lack confidence. Then he got flithly rich, got hair plugs and some other cosmetic work, and embraced this persona he may have actually transformed into.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It does change the notion that @Comethad that Musk’s behavior comes from growing up extremely wealthy. He didn’t, and you can observe his wild behavior shifts in adulthood from the end of his run at PayPal and early days of Tesla/SpaceX. His extreme wealth today seems to be a more likely culprit for much of his worst tendencies. He is divorced from reality and has a cult of personality to pump him up every time he does Musk things.

Prior to around 2008, he was a pretty reserved guy who honestly seemed to lack confidence. Then he got flithly rich, got hair plugs and some other cosmetic work, and embraced this persona he may have actually transformed into.

As a result of this, the teenage Elon Musk once walked the streets of New York with emeralds in his pocket. His father said: “We were very wealthy. We had so much money at times we couldn’t even close our safe,” adding that one person would have to hold the money in place with another closing the door. “And then there’d still be all these notes sticking out and we’d sort of pull them out and put them in our pockets.”

GettyImages-1175168392.jpeg?quality=75&w
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yes but who doesn't have a safe to hold all their money and emeralds in?

1. it’s a story with no specifics from a notable embellisher.

2. I’ve had very large sums of cash in our business safe. Turns out revenue and profit aren’t the same thing :p 

I was obviously joking, but being rich (in terms of lifestyle) has almost nothing to do with balance sheets. Someone like Baron Trump has objectively grown up as rich, even if his family's net worth is massively in the red and entirely fraudulent.

If I took out a $100k loan and lived it up lavishly for a month in some rich place, I could legitimately say I was living a wealthy lifestyle even if I was obviously about to be bankrupt.

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I am arguing that he has likely been divorced from reality since an early age. Admittedly, his childhood seems to be the cause of a lot of unsubstantiated claims - from his father owning an emerald mine, to his family owning the biggest mansion in their corner of South Africa. However, I think wealth is entirely subjective and circumstantial. Owning a mansion or even a plane of any kind in the 70s and 80s in South Africa is going to divorce you from reality, especially in the sociopolitical climate of South Africa back then. 

11 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I’m no financial wizard, but selling a company for $54 a share when it was valued at $50-$51 a share (when it seemed like the Elon deal fell through) doesn’t seem like a great deal?

$54 is a substantial premium over where it had been trading prior to Musk's offer. It's current trading price suggests the market still sees $54 as a premium price. Honestly, Twitter is not a well run business and if I were a shareholder I'd take that deal every day of the week.

2 hours ago, Firewithin said:

he might as well have just set the 46B on fire then

Lol at pretending this won't make him tens of billions more.

50 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Dangerously close to diagnosing mental disorders from afar itt which I’m told is bad

Ir you're talking about the spectrum thing, Musk has spoken publicly about having Aspberger(spelling?) Syndrome. Nobody is diagnosing him.

15 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I’m no financial wizard, but selling a company for $54 a share when it was valued at $50-$51 a share (when it seemed like the Elon deal fell through) doesn’t seem like a great deal?

Pretty standard premium.. Just like Activision at ~90 a share when it was valued at 76$. 54$ is what both sides feel it is currently worth.

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Pretty standard premium.. Just like Activision at ~90 a share when it was valued at 76$. 54$ is what both sides feel it is currently worth.

Also typically bumped up a certain % point to prevent a lawsuit from minority shareholders. 

• Halal 1

• Jason changed the title to Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild buys Twitter
6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Lol at pretending this won't make him tens of billions more.

I actually don't think this is a good money maker. Twitter has the weakest position in the social media space based on monetization, and there doesn't seem to be a good path forward in that regard. I was listening to one of Musk's close friends talk about it and he felt pretty doubtful that this was economically driven for Musk, at least not in a direct sense.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I actually don't think this is a good money maker. Twitter has the weakest position in the social media space based on monetization, and there doesn't seem to be a good path forward in that regard. I was listening to one of Musk's close friends talk about it and he felt pretty doubtful that this was economically driven for Musk, at least not in a direct sense.

I agree. I think it will be used to pump his other businesses since a solid 80%* of his wealth is from media hype

*i made up this number

• True 1