Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

And let’s not pretend that this is some innocent account. This asshole has directly led to the targeted harassment of individual teachers and schools and apparently is working with a Republican political operative! It is very much in the public interest to know who this person is and to pretend otherwise is delusional. 

• Like 1

The Lorenz/LibsofTikTok situation is an interesting journalistic ethics question. At the heart of it is when does an individual go from private citizen to public person when using social media anonymously? I don’t think there is a simple answer to it.

No.  The WaPo piece didn't need to release her name or link to her business license to make its point.  It was superfluous to the story.

If there was a link to something else the person had done previously, that releasing the name achieved  (i.e. by showing a link to a hate group, etc.) then, by all means.  Do it.

Libs of Tik Tok is disgusting and the woman who runs it is a vile evil piece of shit.

Their whole schtick is harassing private citizens. All of the whining they were doing was so dishonest and ridiculous They can shove it up their asses with their rancid culture war shit. Fuck all these people. They deserve every ounce of harassment they get.

They started this fucking fight. Stop whining when the fight comes back to you. Have you read some of the crap that lady posts? She can eat all the shit. She's not a good person. She has the demeanor of a 15 year old bully in a high school cafeteria throwing fries at a crying autistic kid sitting by himself.

• Like 1

For a bit of clarity since this is the “didn’t read the article” board, Lorenz didn’t just reveal the name, she also linked to information that revealed the home address of the person behind the account. I have a hard time seeing how the home address of the person was newsworthy.

I think the home address thing was more of a slip-up by posting a link to something and I believe was later removed... but yeah, too little too late. I don't know. I don't have time to dig deep into every ridiculous story.

Both things can be true.

Her home address shouldn't have been posted. True.

She is also a vile horrible piece of shit monster person who is actively and willfully adding misery to the world. True.

People should listen to one of Chaya Raichik appearances on Tucker Carlson and then listen to an interview with Taylor Lorenz and get back to me on which side you think is the reasonable actor in this latest dustup.

Anyone who picks Chaya Raichik is literally fucked in the brain.

17 minutes ago, ort said:

I think the home address thing was more of a slip-up by posting a link to something and I believe was later removed... but yeah, too little too late. I don't know. 

I think it very well could have been unintentional, but people were giving @AbsolutSurgenthe business for saying Lorenz Doxxed the lady…and she did. It was just via linking to somebody else posting the personal info.

Lorenz is also very well aware of how the internet works and could have included a screenshot of what she wanted to convey, instead of a dynamic feed of information that could later include things that a news article shouldn’t. 

One thing I do appreciate about @Commissar SFLUFANis that he is honest and explicit in his standard being whatever is good for him is good and whatever is bad for his enemies is good. It makes these situations simpler :p 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That justifies it being printed in the Washington Post and making it widely available?

Why not? It wasn’t private info? 

I understand this hits close to home for you lmao, but who thinks it’s a smart idea to make their full name be their handle online? Besides Canadians of course.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One thing I do appreciate about @Commissar SFLUFANis that he is honest and explicit in his standard being whatever is good for him is good and whatever is bad for his enemies is good. It makes these situations simpler :p 

Just one minor correction: whatever is bad for my enemies is even better!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Why not? It wasn’t private info? 

I understand this hits close to home for you lmao, but who thinks it’s a smart idea to make their full name be their handle online? Besides Canadians of course.

Lorenz posted a link that included the woman’s home address. I don’t know why you keep skipping THAT part!

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The Lorenz/LibsofTikTok situation is an interesting journalistic ethics question. At the heart of it is when does an individual go from private citizen to public person when using social media anonymously? I don’t think there is a simple answer to it.

Probably about the time you appear for interviews (plural) on Fox News 

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it very well could have been unintentional, but people were giving @AbsolutSurgenthe business for saying Lorenz Doxxed the lady…and she did. It was just via linking to somebody else posting the personal info.

Lorenz is also very well aware of how the internet works and could have included a screenshot of what she wanted to convey, instead of a dynamic feed of information that could later include things that a news article shouldn’t. 

I’d say I generally subscribe to that standard as well. A bit tired of the games at this point and just want the right thing to happen regardless of irrational fear of slippery slopes, and silly notions like freedom of speech and hypocrisy. And so nobody asks, I get to decide what is “right”.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Just one minor correction: whatever is bad for my enemies is even better!

I think the best example of this will be my utter indifference/apathy to the existence of a "heaven" and whether or not I end up in it, but I ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY, FERVENTLY want there to be a "hell" for my enemies to suffer in for all eternity!

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

The thing with people on the right pretending not to be on the right is such a lazy way to try to add weight to your points.

They always go on (and have for decades) about how “I didn’t leave the Democratic Party the Democratic Party left me!” erases their agency in what is to me very funny. 

• True 1

I’m going to my grave knowing that TikTok was a song by Keisha and not some social media app where people add music to videos and somehow get famous for it.

…and that one time all the users jokingly reserved tickets for Trump’s Tulsa rally and no one showed up.

57 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’d say I generally subscribe to that standard as well. A bit tired of the games at this point and just want the right thing to happen regardless of irrational fear of slippery slopes, and silly notions like freedom of speech and hypocrisy. And so nobody asks, I get to decide what is “right”.

The truth is this is the standard of the board, most people just aren’t as open to saying it for some reason.

Rid yourselves of peasant concepts like shame 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

WELCOME TO THE CLUB, PARTNER! :dancing: :hug:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sblfilms said:

When big name blue check marks simply *disagree* with another person, hordes of losers go on the attack. All the time. That is an issue the platform could easily solve, and Twitter not doing it is 100% because they don’t want to lower engagement.

I'm curious what you think the fix is? Is there another big platform that prevents brigading or harassment with any real success?

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The truth is this is the standard of the board, most people just aren’t as open to saying it for some reason.

Rid yourselves of peasant concepts like shame 

Why anyone would feel shame for that is beyond me!

• Sicko 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I imagine institutions like the Post or the Times have specific criteria they use, but my first pass would be that when you command a significant public audience or control something that itself is very public (like the BAYC guys), it is newsworthy to report on who you are. Exceptions should be made when such a revelation creates significant danger for the person being revealed, but it's not like this person is hiding from Putin or something. I think the first 7 paragraphs of the article do a pretty good job of explaining the newsworthiness of the account.

Of course, linking directly to a home address was unnecessary and wrong. Still, if you run an account followed by a million people, you probably shouldn't expect to be entirely anonymous.

• Halal 1

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm curious what you think the fix is? Is there another big platform that prevents brigading or harassment with any real success?

I am not technical enough to detail it, but I read an article sometime last year by a former Twitter engineer that described a few things they had worked on but didn’t implement precisely because it decreases engagement and growth. The thing I most distinctly remember had to do with removing the impact brigading itself has on trending tweets and topics, which they apparently had a fairly simple solution to. It sounded like they had a solid way to determine when this was occurring and shut down it’s impact. 

There is a sort of compounding nature to allowing the brigading to have a positive impact on trending that invites more people to the party to do more of it.

There was some other moderation related things where they had some decent automated processes to catch people who were serial harassers, but again, they don’t want to remove abusive people from the platform because they are a huge part of the platform 😬

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Is that confirmed? Even Fox says that it was allegedly her address and it was taken down either way.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess most people aren’t going to offer confirmation that the private address that was posted was theirs after getting significant amounts of threats sent their way :p 

And this is the internet, everything is permanent, even though they later edited the article.

Well, everything except D1P’s history 😭