My beautiful amazing loyal dog has passed away

SuperSpreader

I honestly don't know if I can fully recover from this. I've had pets before, when I was a kid, but this is my first as an adult. I fell in love with him at an adoption event. I met him at the shelter the next week. He was so scared. I built his confidence, he was the greatest boy. All he wanted was to be with me. I didn't know he was dying, just that he was so weak this morning. I fed him treats, gave him belly rubs, I didn't want to rush him. I wish I had but the vet says it likely wouldn't have mattered. He spent his last moments with me in the sun outside, leash free, I wish I knew it was his last moments. I thought he was upset with me and I was worried he thought I was the one making him feel sick. Now I know he was just dying and wanted to be with me. I'm so sad. I've been crying for 10 hours straight.

• Sad 4

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

I honestly don't know if I can fully recover from this. I've had pets before, when I was a kid, but this is my first as an adult. I fell in love with him at an adoption event. I met him at the shelter the next week. He was so scared. I built his confidence, he was the greatest boy. All he wanted was to be with me. I didn't know he was dying, just that he was so weak this morning. I fed him treats, gave him belly rubs, I didn't want to rush him. I wish I had but the vet says it likely wouldn't have mattered. He spent his last moments with me in the sun outside, leash free, I wish I knew it was his last moments. I thought he was upset with me and I was worried he thought I was the one making him feel sick. Now I know he was just dying and wanted to be with me. I'm so sad. I've been crying for 10 hours straight

You can at least take some comfort that he went quickly, didn't suffer, and that you didn't have to make the heartbreaking decision to end that suffering.

And I can assure you that he would want you to grieve for him for as long as you need and then to open your heart and your home to another dog who will be in need of your love.

• Like 3

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You can at least take some comfort that he went quickly, didn't suffer, and that you didn't have to make the heartbreaking decision to end that suffering.

And I can assure you that he would want you to grieve for him for as long as you need and then to open your heart and your home to another dog who will be in need of your love.

I intend to build some funds to make a large donation in his name to the organization that rescued him so other dogs like him get a chance. 

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I took video because I wanted to show the vet his symptoms, and my security cameras caught everything. I keep looking at them wondering what I could have done better. 

I can honestly say that there is probably nothing that you could've done at all.  When it comes to animals, things can go very wrong very quickly and there's not much we can do other than to be with them in their final moments.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can honestly say that there is probably nothing that you could've done at all.  When it comes to animals, things can go very wrong very quickly and there's not much we can do other than to be with them in their final moments.

That's what the vet is saying as well. He's been sick but what specifically happened to him can happen to a healthy dog and even young human babies. (Fluid in lungs)

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

I have a second dog I adopted with him. He was with us when he died and saw his body at the vet while my wife and I grieved and wept for two hours with him. He's been sorta himself and sort of quiet as well. He's far more independent and scrappy than the one who passed away. 

Your other dog will grieve for a bit, but he'll bounce back.

10 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I’m very sorry this happened and please keep reminding yourself what the vet said that there’s nothing more you could have done. Please take care of yourself as best as possible right now and be gentle with yourself. It sounds like you and your dog were lucky to have eachother and that you gave him an awesome life. 

I just hope he knew how much I loved him and cared about him. 

I’m so sorry to hear your news :( Man I’m crying here because we love them as if they were your kid. 

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I just hope he knew how much I loved him and cared about him. 

I think being with you at the end, was their way of saying how much they appreciated all you had done for them. They sure as hell loved you ❤️ 

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I have a second dog I adopted with him. He was with us when he died and saw his body at the vet while my wife and I grieved and wept for two hours with him. He's been sorta himself and sort of quiet as well. He's far more independent and scrappy than the one who passed away. 

Everything I've seen is that it's better for pets to see the bodies. They can "get" death, they can't get a person or another animal seemingly just disappear and not come back.

So very sorry, SS. Honestly, this is one reason I don't want pets anymore. Everytime one passes (and in a family of dog lovers, I've been through many) it's absolutely heartbreaking. I need to get a tortoise that will outlive me. 

Dogs are great. Your pup knew how much you loved it. Dogs may be a bit dumb, at times, but they know love.

I'll never forget my first golden retriever, Max. I was probably 15 at the time. He was ill and my dad asked me to keep an eye on him when he went to work one day. We laid down together, on his dog bed. We were literally head to head as he took his final deep breaths. 

Edit: to lighten the story... he was a horn dog and literally humped EVERYONE, all the time.

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can't wait until advancements in medical science for animals changes that because right now, it seems like it still has a while to go.

I vouch for cats/dogs to live as long as humans.