70% of Americans now support Medicare-for-all (Single payer healthcare)

The vast majority of Americans, 70 percent, now support Medicare-for-all, otherwise known as single-payer health care, according to a new Reuters survey. That includes 85 percent of Democrats and 52 percent of Republicans. Only 20 percent of Americans say they outright oppose the idea.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/28/most-americans-now-support-medicare-for-all-and-free-college-tuition.html

Did the GOP really think that by murdering Obamacare it would swing voters in their direction in terms of healthcare?

:duckhuntdog:

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/28/most-americans-now-support-medicare-for-all-and-free-college-tuition.html

Did the GOP really think that by murdering Obamacare it would swing voters in their direction in terms of healthcare?

Surveys had shown that when you describe it to a Republitard and call it Obamacare they hated it and wanted nothing to do with. Same description and call by it's official name, the Affordable Care Act, and they thought it sounded like a much more common sense way to approach healthcare. 

Republitards are petty, but if they don't want to die. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Surveys had shown that when you describe it to a Republitard and call it Obamacare they hated it and wanted nothing to do with. Same description and call by it's official name, the Affordable Care Act, and they thought it sounded like a much more common sense way to approach healthcare. 

Republitards are petty, but if they don't want to die. 

That's why Kentucky had to brand their ACA exchange Kentucky Kynect.

13 minutes ago, legend said:

Where were these people a few years ago?

I think if Obamacare was left as is, support for MFA would be much lower. But the GOP and Trump ran on repeal, did a shitty bang up job of trying to repeal it, made it worse for everyone, so now people are willing to go the single payer route.  

Even I would support it, as long as it is funded smartly, and doesn't include periphery care like prescriptions, dental and vision.  I know you communists will get all pissy because I said that, but let's be pragmatic, not even Canada includes those services in their socialized healthcare plan.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I think if Obamacare was left as is, support for MFA would be much lower. But the GOP and Trump ran on repeal, did a shitty bang up job of trying to repeal it, made it worse for everyone, so now people are willing to go the single payer route.  

Even I would support it, as long as it is funded smartly, and doesn't include periphery care like prescriptions, dental and vision.  I know you communists will get all pissy because I said that, but let's be pragmatic, not even Canada includes those services in their socialized healthcare plan.

Canada’s healthcare system isn’t exactly an ideal. 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

They don't care. All they care about is cutting tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires and then getingt rewarded with a cushy lobbying job. 

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Why are you opposed to including prescriptions? While I think dental should be supported I better understand why it's more debatable. But why no prescriptions? Many drugs are not cheap, yet also necessary. 

Just now, legend said:

Why are you opposed to including prescriptions? While I think dental should be supported I better understand why it's more debatable. But why no prescriptions? Many drugs are not cheap, yet also necessary. 

How do Canadians afford prescriptions?  Don't they have supplemental insurance they can purchase if they aren't willing to pay full (but still much lower than American) prices? 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

How do Canadians afford prescriptions?  Don't they have supplemental insurance they can purchase if they aren't willing to pay full (but still much lower than American) prices? 

Why are you assuming Canada's policy is optimal?

51 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Hmmm I would have not guessed Oregon.

Are we sure this isn’t Medicaid and Medicare? I know a lot of Oregonians are on Medicaid. 

The map just shows the percentage of Medicare enrollees who get their benefits through private insurers (Medicare Advantage). It's not any sort of indication as to how many people in each state are enrolled in Medicare.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What good reason is there to not cover prescription drugs in a switch to single payer in America?

Monetary expense, and political capital.  If 70% of voters now want single payer, you'll likely have enough support from GOP congressman, along with all Democratic lawmakers to pass the law.  But if you start adding on their "extras", you likely start to lose support among both conservative voters and law makers.  

I'm just saying don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.  

41 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Monetary expense, and political capital.  If 70% of voters now want single payer, you'll likely have enough support from GOP congressman, along with all Democratic lawmakers to pass the law.  But if you start adding on their "extras", you likely start to lose support among both conservative voters and law makers.  

I’d hardly call prescriptions “extras”.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’d hardly call prescriptions “extras”.

Waaaay off topic, but a $4 box of Sudafed costs over $175 in Oregon, because the state considers it a controlled substance, and requires a doctor's prescription to get:

My copay to see my primary care doctor: $20

What my insurance pays the primary care doctor: $147

$4 box of Sudafed from Walgreens (behind the counter) $8.  Insurance won't cover Sudafed.

Or I can drive across the river to Washington and buy a $4 box of Sudafed for $4.  Plus tax doe.  WA has a sales tax.  So I guess Oregon has something going for it. 

37 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Waaaay off topic, but a $4 box of Sudafed costs over $175 in Oregon, because the state considers it a controlled substance, and requires a doctor's prescription to get:

My copay to see my primary care doctor: $20

What my insurance pays the primary care doctor: $147

$4 box of Sudafed from Walgreens (behind the counter) $8.  Insurance won't cover Sudafed.

Or I can drive across the river to Washington and buy a $4 box of Sudafed for $4.  Plus tax doe.  WA has a sales tax.  So I guess Oregon has something going for it. 

Riiiiiiiight. I’m talking about life-long things like insulin which people often have to choose to pay for over other bills, not meds for treating symptoms from a cold.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

But you were expressing what YOU would or wouldn’t support. You made no argument regarding the monetary expense, only the political capital issue. Covering drugs works in exactly the same way covering other healthcare expenditures does to lower costs. If you’re for it in the other areas, it makes zero sense to not cover it with regards to drug coverage.

I see a lot of hospital visits from people who are noncompliant with their meds. Pretty sure covering the drugs would be cheaper than repeated hospital visits.

Hell, I work with a girl whose mom frequently comes to the ED because she doesn't take her meds for her CHF. Comes in fluid overloaded, gets a new script, runs out, then comes back to the ED again when she's out. And she doesn't pay her bills, for sure. Wonder where that cost falls?

6 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

If you think that Republican politicians will support Medicare for all, or l have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Government has some control on cost and we’re more friendly on generics.

yet with that said, if Canada is your roll model then you should know that the government in charge is possibly looking to roll out pharmacare for prescription drugs. :)