Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

47 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Based on the tiny snippets we've seen so far, I fully expect this "extended look" to be about 12 seconds of CGI.

I don't think so. They confirmed againa few weeks ago that it is releasing this year. I expect a big gameplay reveal, and probably a release date.

45 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Kal-El814

lol?

People outraged about JKR are a small minority of the terminally online left. Most people don’t care and just want a good game. The average person that will play this either won't know or care about Rowlings comments. 

Lol at pretending HP isn't still a series beloved by millions.

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

People outraged about JKR are a small minority of the terminally online left. Most people don’t care and just want a good game. The average person that will play this either won't know or care about Rowlings comments. 

Lol at pretending HP isn't still a series beloved by millions.

you can’t argue with someone by giving them a position they never had in the first place lol

How much of the $70 even ends up in Rowling’s pocket? And really, she’s a billionaire, depriving yourself of something you’d like because she is going to get a few cents on the dollar out of it is a weird way to live life.

I see a lot of "Respect the art not the artist" type of statements rolling around the comments sections for this type of thing. Easy to say when you're not the target of the attacks.

I think it's important to take a step back and assess the situation. What if she said something more people could jive with? Like if she said, "I hate all black people." Would you still be trying to bend over backwards to defend her and justify purchasing this game? Did she make it no, but she is basically anything Harry Potter or Harry Potter related. If you buy this you're buying her.

If she even gets 50 cents of each sale, and this thing sells 2 million copies (which it will do easily) then she has made a million dollars.

If you're worried about the developers, don't worry, they got paid already. It's not like they are working for free. The only thing you support by buying the game is the publishers and JK Rowling.

As @Bacon famously recommends, :pirate_2: guilt free.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What if she said something more people could jive with? Like if she said, "I hate all black people."

I wouldn’t care. Unless the game is about hating Black people, or Black people on the team were mistreated, I don’t care at all about the opinions of people who make money when I purchase goods or services. The reality is that any time you’re buying something from a large firm, some portion of the proceeds end up in the pockets of detestable people. Oh well.

59 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I wouldn’t care. Unless the game is about hating Black people, or Black people on the team were mistreated, I don’t care at all about the opinions of people who make money when I purchase goods or services. The reality is that any time you’re buying something from a large firm, some portion of the proceeds end up in the pockets of detestable people. Oh well.

We already know you have no morals. It was more of a question for normal people.

I gave up trying to judge what to buy/not buy based on morality, for the most part. It's not worth the effort.

I don't think JK Rowling is an evil person. She's an out of touch billionaire. I still buy things from Amazon and wal mart even though bezos and the Waltons can fuck off and die. 

I don’t know anything about the dozens, possibly hundreds of people who have spent years of their lives making this game, but I’m going to guess that the majority of them are not aggressively transphobic asshats. If they made a good game, I’ll probably buy it.
Any money you spend, especially in larger companies, is probably going to benefit some asshole or another. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

We already know you have no morals. It was more of a question for normal people.

That isn’t a moral question, it’s an ethical question.

And the real issue here is that people in this very thread will proudly refuse to buy the game because one of the people receiving royalties has *said* bad things, but will gladly receive other games delivered to their door by an Amazon driver who has to pee in a bottle because an actual restroom stop will make their internal company rating go down and subject them to termination.

It is easy to be performative, like my dearest @Kal-El814is being here, when you have an incredible number of equal or superior alternatives. It costs nothing.

Get back to me when you make an actual sacrifice for the things you believe in.

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t a moral question, it’s an ethical question.

And the real issue here is that people in this very thread will proudly refuse to buy the game because one of the people receiving royalties has *said* bad things, but will gladly receive other games delivered to their door by an Amazon driver who has to pee in a bottle because an actual restroom stop will make their internal company rating go down and subject them to termination.

It is easy to be performative, like my dearest @Kal-El814is being here, when you have an incredible number of equal or superior alternatives. It costs nothing.

Get back to me when you make an actual sacrifice for the things you believe in.

I’m not going to pretend that my “stand” on this is anything other than lazy activism, and it’d be charitable to call it activism at all.

I’m also not going to pretend I’m not hypocritical about what I choose to consume even if we’re just talking videogames. I buy Assassin’s Creed games even though I know Ubisoft is shit, I buy From Software games even thought they underpay their employees and encourage pregnant women to quit, etc.

I also acknowledge that JKR is as close to a “good” self made billionaire as you can get. To the best of my knowledge she’s not an emerald mine heiress, she’s not made her money on resource futures, hedge funds, or inherited wealth, she’s not profited by insisting on paying people below her a pittance so she can reap more rewards, and so on.

And I’m not out here thinking that me not engaging in HP commerce makes any kind of tangible difference. So the performative label has measurements that are more or less bespoke.

That said I also don’t super care. It’d be one thing if she had a shitty take, but she spends time, money, and energy on anti trans causes. I think that’s shitty, so I whine about it. If it gets someone to change their mind about giving her money, great, if it lets someone know she’s shitty who didn’t know it before, good.

But the notion that there’s no ethical consumption under capitalism doesn’t mean, for me, that I can justify consuming everything. To me there’s a difference between saying, “this game was made by a team of hundreds, there’s probably someone working on the sound design who’s punched their spouse, so maybe I won’t buy it,” and knowing that the creator of the IP is one of the world’s most influential people and she elects to weird that influence to target a marginalized group.

No it’s not intellectually consistent but I’m not shooting for that.

Anti trans stuff reminds me so much of anti gay bullshit. I wrote to elected officials about that, spent money on pro gay causes, participated and went to pro gay marches and events. I do the same for trans rights.

Anyway I didn’t mean for this to come off as a screed and it’s not directed at @sblfilms specifically, I just started typing and didn’t stop, as is my way, much to the chagrin of @johnny. But at least this time I didn’t aim my turd cutter at Naughty Dog before I started pushing so that must count for something.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’d be one thing if the had a shitty take, but she spends time, money, and energy on anti trans causes.

Does she? In all the articles I’ve read, the only things I’ve found are her tweets and a post on her blog. It does seem pretty much limited to “shitty take(s)” :p 

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Does she? In all the articles I’ve read, the only things I’ve found are her tweets and a post on her blog. It does seem pretty much limited to “shitty take(s)” :p 

Yes, this info is new to me. It would certainly raise my rage-o-meter but as of the facts I know of I’m not calling for  armed penis rape murder

:shrug:

On 3/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, sblfilms said:

I was under the impression based on what I read that she donated money to anti-trans politicians, but I'm disconnected enough from English politics to not know this for sure.