Valve already planning a Steam Deck 2

STEAM DECK 2

Wasn't expecting this already although maybe I should've! Apparently the top tier model of the {OG 649.99} Steam Deck 1 is the most popular according to preorders. Looks like I may be further back in line than I though. Might be getting mine right as Pre-orders for the SD2 go up :cry:

I very much expected them to be working on new versions, the only question I have is if we'll see yearly releases like most PCs or if we'll see updates a bit off cadence with processor releases and get new Steam Decks more like every 18 or 24 months.

Along with a spec boost, I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated deck get a VRR capable screen, and for some reason I expect Valve to mess with the controller layout, if only because they always seem to be.

The only big complaint of the current deck is lack of an OLED display for me. My preorder is in for the 256gb unit but I do wish they had gone OLED like Nintendo has done. 

I better not get my system and see Vrs 2 announced with my OLED screen. That’s what happened a month or 2 after I bought my Oculus Quest 

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I very much expected them to be working on new versions, the only question I have is if we'll see yearly releases like most PCs or if we'll see updates a bit off cadence with processor releases and get new Steam Decks more like every 18 or 24 months.

Along with a spec boost, I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated deck get a VRR capable screen, and for some reason I expect Valve to mess with the controller layout, if only because they always seem to be.

I would guess it would be on a 2 year cadence since the SOC is semi custom (if I understood the specs correctly). So AMD will need to design a new chip with zen 3 or 4 cpus and rdna 3. 

17 hours ago, Nokra said:

If I read the deal correctly, you just had to put down $5 to pre-order, right? And you can pay the balance when it's your turn to buy?  I believe I read that the $5 is even refundable if you cancel.

30 days for a refund to whatever method you used to pay it and after that the refund is to your Steam Wallet.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck