Jump to content

Batman is a drunk


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's ridiculous... and they've made it canon in the comics now. Damian Wayne goes to a private school in Metropolis with Jonathan Kent. Alfred flies him there by chopper every morning.

It's bloody stupid.

 

I'd always just associated Metropolis with Chicago and Gotham with NYC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's bloody stupid.

 

I'd always just associated Metropolis with Chicago and Gotham with NYC.

 

Always the other way for me, since the Animated series architecture feels so much more like Chicago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You and everyone else... DC's geography is all kinds of fucked up :p

 

Arrow has also been super inconsistent with where Star City is supposed to be. They've shown on-screen maps showing it in a kind of Chicago-ish area, yet the show starts with Oliver getting on his father's yacht to sail to Asia (which would heavily imply being coastal, presumably west coast).

 

I prefer the Marvel method of mostly doing fictionalized versions of real cities...I just find it way less distracting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

Arrow has also been super inconsistent with where Star City is supposed to be. They've shown on-screen maps showing it in a kind of Chicago-ish area, yet the show starts with Oliver getting on his father's yacht to sail to Asia (which would heavily imply being coastal, presumably west coast).

 

I prefer the Marvel method of mostly doing fictionalized versions of real cities...I just find it way less distracting.

Star City in the comics is basically Seattle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It used to be... now it's basically Oakland. Metropolis is San Francisco

I don't keep up with comics so in no way am I trying to start an argument which I am sure I would lose...

 

However I remember a quote from Frank Miller that said something like Metropolis is New York in the daytime, and Gotham City is New York at night.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, number305 said:

I don't keep up with comics so in no way am I trying to start an argument which I am sure I would lose...

 

However I remember a quote from Frank Miller that said something like Metropolis is New York in the daytime, and Gotham City is New York at night.  

 

Pretty sure he was speaking figuratively in terms of the tones of each city. Originally, both Metropolis and Gotham were stand-ins for New York. In modern times, Gotham became DC's New York and Metropolis became Chicago. Both have been all over the place to be honest though :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having Metropolis and Gotham practically staring at each other across a body of water totally messed up my DC universe head canon.

 

In my head canon, I associated Superman and Batman as being the "guardians" of their respective cities (yes, I know Superman technically is Earth's guardian, but whatever) and that each hero "respected" the other's territory unless the need was absolutely dire.  With this new canon, why on Earth would anyone in Gotham look to Batman to be their guardian when the practically omniscient Superman is literally just across a freakin' bay?!?   Superman could easily act as the guardian of BOTH Metropolis and Gotham which makes Batman pretty superfluous. 

 

Yes, I've given way, WAY too much thought to this (probably at least an hour), but Snyder totally obliterated my well-considered intellectual framework.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Having Metropolis and Gotham practically staring at each other across a body of water totally messed up my DC universe head canon.

 

In my head canon, I associated Superman and Batman as being the "guardians" of their respective cities (yes, I know Superman technically is Earth's guardian, but whatever) and that each hero "respected" the other's territory unless the need was absolutely dire.  With this new canon, why on Earth would anyone in Gotham look to Batman to be their guardian when the practically omniscient Superman is literally just across a freakin' bay?!?   Superman could easily act as the guardian of BOTH Metropolis and Gotham which makes Batman pretty superfluous. 

 

Yes, I've given way, WAY too much thought to this (probably at least an hour), but Snyder totally obliterated my well-considered intellectual framework.

I cannot state enough how stupid it is that all of this is true as of Batman v Superman... Clark Kent was a reporter for The Daily Planet... saw Bruce Wayne show up at an event... AND HE DID NOT KNOW WHO BRUCE WAYNE WAS.

 

So I assume that in the Snyderverse, Superman doesn’t bother to protect Gotham because when he sees it, he thinks it’s the background in a video game or something and he can’t actually go there. It’s the only thing that makes sense, and it tracks with everything that Batman and Superman do in these movies being the stupidest possible thing they could possibly do.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...