The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die movie (Netflix - April 14, 2023)

On 3/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, Firewithin said:

Good season although I'm not familiar with the source material so not sure what the movie will be after that ending

The source material is based on actual history, so you need not look further than when the show takes place to know where it's going for the movie. 

Season 2 re-watch done. What a ride! This was like 2 mini-seasons.

Spoiler

Turd king, Uhtred's humbling, and sweet revenge, then the introduction of pig's arse and the tragedy of Erik. Also, most of the core group was introduced this season.

I regretted each time not giving these seasons a re-watch before a new one arrived but this binge is too much fun.

Re-watch is done. My favorite episodes are probably:

Season 3 Ep 9

Spoiler

Alfred's final conversation and pardoning of Uhtred.

and

Season 5 Ep 4

Spoiler

The last day(s) of Aetheflaed.

My friend's only issue with the series is that we have to wait at least a year for the movie since she blew right through it. She tried Vikings: Valhalla but it just wasn't the same.

• 10 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last Kingdom: The Final Season (Netflix - March 9, 2022)
  • 1 month later...
  • 69los changed the title to The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die movie (Netflix - April 14, 2023)

I agree as well - the movie was really good, but definitely felt (unsurprisingly) fairly rushed - I'd have also preferred a proper season. Great ending however, and given they only had a movie-length runtime, they did a pretty good job. I enjoyed it overall.

And yes, Aethelstan was a little shit in this movie.

I’ll echo what everyone else said. It certainly felt like a full season crammed into a movie. I liked the story so would have loved to have gotten it fleshed out more. That being said I think they did a good job. The battle at the end was really good and the ending was utterly fantastic. I think that final image couldn’t be a more perfect thing to leave as the final image.

Spoiler

Uhtred stuck between two worlds. *chefs kiss

• Like 1

I'm just happy we finally got Osbert. He plays such an enormous role in the books, and is essentially a new Uhtred. Wish we would have been able to see him fight, but I am satisfied with what we got. 

For the ending...

Spoiler

They rode a fine line of taking the books, which are fiction weaved with fact, and merging that with actual fact and history and a real life Uhtred who may or may not have existed as he did in the books. The key with the books is Uhtred can't die. The books start with Uhtred as an old man retelling his stories. 

But I loved that they showed his call to Valhalla. If they had shown Ragnar, I might have ugly cried. 

53 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I'm just happy we finally got Osbert. He plays such an enormous role in the books, and is essentially a new Uhtred. Wish we would have been able to see him fight, but I am satisfied with what we got. 

For the ending...

Hide contents

They rode a fine line of taking the books, which are fiction weaved with fact, and merging that with actual fact and history and a real life Uhtred who may or may not have existed as he did in the books. The key with the books is Uhtred can't die. The books start with Uhtred as an old man retelling his stories. 

But I loved that they showed his call to Valhalla. If they had shown Ragnar, I might have ugly cried. 

Spoiler

I guess Ragnar really didn't make it to Valhalla.

• 2 months later...

A lot of the plot in the entirety of TLK is based on everyone being stupid. Far stupider than Uhtred. The Movie by far has the most stupidity throughout it. I am 59 minutes in and I can't help but be tilted. I'm not enjoying it at all.

Good ending to a mostly lame movie.

I really enjoyed parts of the last kingdom, but I still think the quality suffered at Netflix. Feels good to have finished the series nonetheless. Now I am pretty sure I can write off "tv shows" for good with this finished.

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I still need to watch the last season and the movie. The first couple seasons of the last kingdom are fucking incredible, then it gets .. fine.

Season 5 and the movies are nothing special. Just nice to finish. I think the ending of Season 5 is better than the movie, but the movie does end the series well enough. Not how I would have ended it, but it was good enough. Both season 5 and the movie got me teary-eyed for Uhtred, so they can still make you feel invested in at least the main character.