The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die movie (Netflix - April 14, 2023)

I was not a fan of the changes that took place once I got to the seasons where Netflix took over. It was still interesting enough, tho. I'm glad to be seeing an ending to the story and that I won't drop another series. 

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I was not a fan of the changes that took place once I got to the seasons where Netflix took over. It was still interesting enough, tho. I'm glad to be seeing an ending to the story and that I won't drop another series. 

There’s gonna be a movie so I don’t think the season is gonna wrap things up completely. 

Either way, hands down one of my favorite shows of all time and I think it out GoT, GoT. 

44 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

There’s gonna be a movie so I don’t think the season is gonna wrap things up completely. 

Ah, I think you are correct. Still, the story is wrapping up and I am glad about that. 

And I wouldn't say I liked it more than GoT's early seasons, but it blows like everything past season 4 or so out of the water. Those first few seasons were great. 

One thing I like about the series is the somewhat realism in terms of weapons/armor. Too many movies/shows have people using both swords and plate armor in combat. By the time people started wearing metal plates (roughly 13th century) swords (at least of what you picture in your head when you think of "medieval sword") were mostly ceremonial and/or status symbols.

You see this mostly in fantasy shows, but it pops up in almost every melee combat movie.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

One thing I like about the series is the somewhat realism in terms of weapons/armor. Too many movies/shows have people using both swords and plate armor in combat. By the time people started wearing metal plates (roughly 13th century) swords (at least of what you picture in your head when you think of "medieval sword") were mostly ceremonial and/or status symbols.

You see this mostly in fantasy shows, but it pops up in almost every melee combat movie.

Bernard Cornwell is really good about that historical accuracies in his books. 

Watched the first episode last night. First off, whoa did they bump the budget for the final season. The locals/sets are fantastic. 

I def need to find a “what happened so far video” because good lord I forgot who 50% of the characters were and how they got to the places they’re in. 

The actual episode was great. Sets up the season well and then off we go, no 3 episodes twiddling around like new seasons of GoT did. 

DESTINY IS ALL

• Like 2

I’m through 3 episodes and oh my god this season is incredible. The feeling of everything they’ve built over the last four seasons coming to a head is exhilarating. Which I should have expected giving how amazing Cornwell is at bringing all his arcs together at the end of his stories. 

• Like 3

Damn my husband having to go to bed to work tomorrow. One episode left. Such a thrilling season. I really do love some of the changes they made from the books. Glad they kept Ealswith around because I've really grown to love her character. Same with Althelm.

The chemistry these actors have with each other is excellent. I love the emotions between these characters who truly care about each other.

Ready to finish it up tomorrow, then I'll eagerly await the movie next year.

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Damn my husband having to go to bed to work tomorrow. One episode left. Such a thrilling season. I really do love some of the changes they made from the books. Glad they kept Ealswith around because I've really grown to love her character. Same with Althelm.

The chemistry these actors have with each other is excellent. I love the emotions between these characters who truly care about each other.

Ready to finish it up tomorrow, then I'll eagerly await the movie next year.

The Lat Kingdom is a great follow on FB. It’s mostly just behind the scenes stuff with the cast and you can tell they all really loved each other. The chemistry comes through in spades. 

That ending to episode 8…so many feels. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Finished. Goddamn, that was excellent. Probably my favorite show of all time.  It’s definitely up there. Top two at least. 

All those feels at the end. 

This felt like a satisfactory ending, but I’m very much looking forward to the movie because there’s more story to be had. 

I just finished it as well and I came here to post your exact thoughts almost word for word. What a way to stick the landing. What a season, what a finale. That damn recap of his life? Waterworks. 

This show someone managed to give me the same feelings I have when I finish a great book series. That feeling of loss in your gut that your done with these stories and these characters. Never had a tv show do that before. I think I can comfortably also say that this is my favorite TV Show of all time. 

@CastlevaniaNut18 you’ve read Warlord Chronicles right? My god I would do anything for these show runners to adapt that for a show. Way less books but they’re so dense I think you could easily get 4-6 seasons out of it. 

@Mercury33, I haven't read them yet, but I think I'm gonna make them a priority for this year. I've heard you and some others give them a lot of praise. They're on my shelf. Will post thought in the Reading thread as I go though them.

The only other show that I think comes close for me is The Wire. Different style and all, but it was a very well done show and gave me a lot of emotions as I watched. TLK and the Wire are two of the only shows I've watched twice.

One thing that did bother me this season was

Spoiler

Aelfwynn just being a dumbass. I get that she's a kid but it just reeked of character making the worst possible decisions to further the plot.

Aside from that, the complete

Spoiler

180 face turn of Aelswith was very satisfying. She was a thorn in Uhtred's side for the longest time and to see her siding with him over Edward and then living the rest(?) of her days in Bebbanburg was great.

Also, happy that Lord Aldhelm lived even though he looked trampled to death.

I cried. We finished it a couple days after release. This is neck and neck with Black Sails for me. 

Still have to read beyond book 9. 

Also...OSBERT!!! Or, as he's better known, Uhtred son of Uhtred son of Uhtred... and total badass who follows in his father's footsteps. 

Finally, you all are very welcome. :D

7 hours ago, Emblazon said:

I cried. We finished it a couple days after release. This is neck and neck with Black Sails for me. 

Still have to read beyond book 9. 

Also...OSBERT!!! Or, as he's better known, Uhtred son of Uhtred son of Uhtred... and total badass who follows in his father's footsteps. 

Finally, you all are very welcome. :D

Thank you sir! I can confidently say this is easily my favorite show of all time. With the episode where Uhtred comes back to meet sick Alfred as one of my favorite television episodes of all time. 

I know this deviated a bunch from the books but is this the natural end point in the books? I had a heard there’s a huge time jump towards the end of the series where it becomes a lot more about Uhtreds kids. Is that where we’re at leading into he movie or did they kinda go their own way and it’s all jumbled up and different now?

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Thank you sir! I can confidently say this is easily my favorite show of all time. With the episode where Uhtred comes back to meet sick Alfred as one of my favorite television episodes of all time. 

I know this deviated a bunch from the books but is this the natural end point in the books? I had a heard there’s a huge time jump towards the end of the series where it becomes a lot more about Uhtreds kids. Is that where we’re at leading into he movie or did they kinda go their own way and it’s all jumbled up and different now?

They blended. And kept Uhtred mostly young. His son Osbert is huge in the later books. It seems like Aethelstan took his place a bit. Makes me a bit sad, but I get it, especially with what can be derived to happen in the upcoming movie if you look into actual history. 

My wife and I finally got through the season - excellent all around. The entire show was firing on all cylinders.

Spoiler

Osferth hit me, that was a tough one, but in general I was surprised how few characters died, except Brida, didn't see Stiorra doing that right when she did.

Great ending to the show, but you could tell they were like: "don't worry, there's still a movie coming" because they didn't really close out some characters stories I felt like. Also, the movie has already finished filming, so unlike The Expanse, where I have no real idea if we do get spin off films, here I know it's coming.

Weirdly, both shows have big time jumps for their last three books, and both shows chose to end their shows instead of adapting the last three novels of their respective series.

I'm 2 episodes in to my series re-watch. I convinced a friend to watch it so I want to re-remember since some of the seasons were 2 years apart. Plus, as Mercury mentioned, Alfred was such a great character. One weekend in and she's already on season 2 and enjoying it.