Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Coming November 18, 2022

Keyser_Soze

Of course gotta keep new games coming every three years even though they could take a few extra years to really revise the series, and take some of the positive feedback they're getting from Legends Arceus to really, truly make the games fans have wanted for decades.

Still looks like a GameCube game.

lol let’s be real, game freak could take another year to work on it and it would still look essentially the same as it does in the trailer. they’re not known for making dramatic jumps from each iteration to the next. the sword/shield team has probably been working on this for a while now. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

DUCK WITH HAT THOUGH

Good point. 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

lol let’s be real, game freak could take another year to work on it and it would still look essentially the same as it does in the trailer. they’re not known for making dramatic jumps from each iteration to the next. the sword/shield team has probably been working on this for a while now. 

Yeah. If anyone goes into a Pokémon game expecting top-of-the-line graphics, you're gonna have a bad time!

• True 1

• 2 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Coming November 18, 2022
On 2/27/2022 at 5:35 PM, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah. If anyone goes into a Pokémon game expecting top-of-the-line graphics, you're gonna have a bad time!

I think this is not at all the right way to look at it. Pokemon games starting from the very first one have always looked quite appealing and have been technically sound and pleasant to look at. It's only when they apparently hired a fucking crackhead to start doing the "console" 3D work that it all fell apart. This isn't people wanting "top-of-the-line graphics" it's expecting basic competence. Even the 3DS Pokemon games seemed to somehow hold their art style better. Hell, Pokemon Let's Go looked absolutely fine so I can't even blame it on the Switch. SwSh/Legends/Scarlet & Violet (ScaVi?) on the other hand just look like amateur grade trash.

I had the same experience as @gamer.tv coming back to this thread, with a trailer I already watched. I started playing it since I'd forgotten what it looked like, thought "wow did it always look this good?" then I made it fullscreen and immediately thought "never mind." Theoretically if it was between the gameplay and the graphics, you obviously take the graphics, but it has never been about that because we don't live in an either or world and the Pokemon company has more than enough money to outshine ANYONE on the Switch in terms of visuals, yet they choose to look worse than $5 indie games because it's Pokemon and fuck the players I guess. Look at our technical incompetence where you get a game that looks AND runs like pig shit.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

can’t fucking wait to get my duck

I'm probably getting the duck as well, I think all the starters look kinda lame but as long as I can catch a Sigilyph and the game runs at higher than 22 FPS I won't have to write too many more paragraphs.

...Although based on how well Dolphin works maybe I'll just emulate the bastard and get it running properly. Kirby was so much better emulated. Dat sweet sweet 60 FPS, even had patches to make distant objects stop animated at half or quarter frames! And Rune Factory 5 actually felt like a video game! "At least Pokemon isn't quite as ugly and doesn't run as poorly as Rune Factory 5" should be on the back of the box, because woof, THAT'S a game that gives Pokemon a run for its money.

57 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think this is not at all the right way to look at it. Pokemon games starting from the very first one have always looked quite appealing and have been technically sound and pleasant to look at. It's only when they apparently hired a fucking crackhead to start doing the "console" 3D work that it all fell apart. This isn't people wanting "top-of-the-line graphics" it's expecting basic competence. Even the 3DS Pokemon games seemed to somehow hold their art style better. Hell, Pokemon Let's Go looked absolutely fine so I can't even blame it on the Switch. SwSh/Legends/Scarlet & Violet (ScaVi?) on the other hand just look like amateur grade trash.

I had the same experience as @gamer.tv coming back to this thread, with a trailer I already watched. I started playing it since I'd forgotten what it looked like, thought "wow did it always look this good?" then I made it fullscreen and immediately thought "never mind." Theoretically if it was between the gameplay and the graphics, you obviously take the graphics, but it has never been about that because we don't live in an either or world and the Pokemon company has more than enough money to outshine ANYONE on the Switch in terms of visuals, yet they choose to look worse than $5 indie games because it's Pokemon and fuck the players I guess. Look at our technical incompetence where you get a game that looks AND runs like pig shit.

Yeah, that's the thing: "It's Pokemon" is a good reason to not expect this game to push the limits of graphics. But also because "it's Pokemon" and will therefore be a flagship title for the system, you would hope they would give enough of a shit to make it look at least decent. 

Judging from that second trailer I don't think it looks bad. I only saw the purple gunk in Arceus and I think it looks better than that.

I haven't played a pokemon game since the 3DS and this one looks more different than all of them, I'd consider getting it.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm probably getting the duck as well, I think all the starters look kinda lame but as long as I can catch a Sigilyph and the game runs at higher than 22 FPS I won't have to write too many more paragraphs.

...Although based on how well Dolphin works maybe I'll just emulate the bastard and get it running properly. Kirby was so much better emulated. Dat sweet sweet 60 FPS, even had patches to make distant objects stop animated at half or quarter frames! And Rune Factory 5 actually felt like a video game! "At least Pokemon isn't quite as ugly and doesn't run as poorly as Rune Factory 5" should be on the back of the box, because woof, THAT'S a game that gives Pokemon a run for its money.

I already beat Kirby but I’ll have to check that out some day, that’s really cool they patched the half animation.

17 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm honestly amazed, even a lot of actual PC ports don't get those kinds of mods. Dolphin (and the other one... forget its name but it's also really good!) is something else.

yuzu is the switch one. I’m hopeful with the deck 2 that you’ll be able to just use yuzu and have effectively a handheld switch pro.