What are you guys feeling about the new Giant Bomb crew now that they’ve kind of settled in?

Paperclyp

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Honestly, Id prefer Lucy James (Who I adore), Ochoa, Grubb and Ryckert. The rest, I don't really care about. Im sure I'll watch once in a while, but that list isn't very inspiring. At least they didn't hire Janet Garcia.

Gotta have Jeff B in there. I love his viewpoint as kind the less hardcore nerdy one. 

7 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

He’s more into mainstream hobbies like pinball and building an obscene number of keyboards. 

Right, which is why I love him on there. He kinda reps the Madden/CoD crowd(not exactly) so I love when he asks the others about Pokémon or FF or Japanese RPGs

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Right, which is why I love him on there. He kinda reps the Madden/CoD crowd(not exactly) so I love when he asks the others about Pokémon or FF or Japanese RPGs

:p I was poking fun there. I think JB is pretty damn nerdy in his own way, he even chose to follow the least popular mainstream sport and doesn’t know shit about football. 

But yes I generally agree that he is a little bit less nerdy than some of them. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve got bs k on the band wagon and still enjoy it. I’m very happy Jeff B queried this whole ‘husband’, ‘partner’, ‘semi-husband’ thing with Jess. I find her mostly OK - but this always confused me. Someone is either your husband or they aren’t. I get that at a point saying boyfriend’ feels ridiculous, but I always assumed general consensus was ‘partner’ - though I appreciate that some people feel uncomfortable with the ambiguity around sexuality at that point too.

53 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Oh I can’t wait to hear that exchange. 

On the last cast she did an example of why I don’t vibe with her podcast style, when Jeff and Jan were ragging on cats and the way she addresses it just takes it a few notches too far and it’s awkward. 

She reminds me of Dreamcastguy on spawncast, or Janet Garcia on MinnMax and PSILYXOXO (which is currently the worst playstation podcast, every episode is abkut nonsense), they just make the content worse.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Damnit Ben Pack was on Gertsmann’s pod last week and they are really good together. I want them to team up every week or something, I just can’t listen to Jeff solo for too long. 

It was helpful that Ben actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about as well. :p

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 6:35 AM, gamer.tv said:

I’ve got bs k on the band wagon and still enjoy it. I’m very happy Jeff B queried this whole ‘husband’, ‘partner’, ‘semi-husband’ thing with Jess. I find her mostly OK - but this always confused me. Someone is either your husband or they aren’t. I get that at a point saying boyfriend’ feels ridiculous, but I always assumed general consensus was ‘partner’ - though I appreciate that some people feel uncomfortable with the ambiguity around sexuality at that point too.

I don’t remember which episode it was, maybe it’s the one you mentioned here, but she kept mentioning her “short” bf/partner/husband and how short he is. Came off as weird to me. Like she tries make a comedic bit out of something little, but it starts to come off as annoying pretty quickly.

I check in once in a while with the bombcast now.  Hope it doesn’t come off as mean but I have a hard time listening when Tamoor is talking. I guess it’s the accent. I’m usually working when listening and when he starts going on about something, I have a harder time making everything out when I’m hustling around.  I like the episodes more when Dan or Grubb is on.

The only other GB content I’ve watched lately is the Best of videos on YouTube.  The clips are hilarious at times and seeing everybody together is just fun to watch.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 2:45 PM, DarkStar189 said:

I don’t remember which episode it was, maybe it’s the one you mentioned here, but she kept mentioning her “short” bf/partner/husband and how short he is. Came off as weird to me. Like she tries make a comedic bit out of something little, but it starts to come off as annoying pretty quickly.

I check in once in a while with the bombcast now.  Hope it doesn’t come off as mean but I have a hard time listening when Tamoor is talking. I guess it’s the accent. I’m usually working when listening and when he starts going on about something, I have a harder time making everything out when I’m hustling around.  I like the episodes more when Dan or Grubb is on.

The only other GB content I’ve watched lately is the Best of videos on YouTube.  The clips are hilarious at times and seeing everybody together is just fun to watch.

Im not a fan of Tamoors either. He seems to think he's exceptionally funny and profound, and is all around annoying. Im pretty much done with GB. 

Nowadays I listen to Sacred Symbols, Defining Duke, and Lord Cognito's Lords of Iron podcast. Great gaming podcasts with excellent casts all around. Kinda Funny is terrible now, they do the same show every single day. Easy Allies is unwatchable without Ben and Jones. Spawncast can be ok when Dreamcast Guy isn't on it. The ign podcasts are all pretty bad too. 

On 9/18/2022 at 5:42 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

@Paperclyp

How about back to back weeks with Jess ranting about Sam Barlow?

I have only heard the first time so far but it was kinda weird haha. There’s a former waypoint staffer who worked on his new game and she’s like super stoked about it, and it was just this awkward exchange the first time that the other guys on the pod clearly weren’t sure what she was talking about (especially cuz she just spoke in vague language). They’re not really in a position to call her out on it since they’re all dudes. 

I’ll have to listen to the new one. It’s sad, the bomb cast was one of my favorite things but even though I like most of the people on it, it just doesn’t do much for me. It’s moved way down on my pod priority list. 

Thank god for nextlander. I fucking love those guys. 

I had kinda settled in with Jess. I think she’s been better with the new team. Her exchanges with Gertsman were just painful. But this last episode was awful. It’s fine she feels so strongly, it’s better that they don’t all agree all the time. But I can’t stand when she starts talking over and interrupting everyone all the time. Clearly the guys like the game but she refused to let them really express that. Shit was annoying. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I don't think anyone is hating, a lot of us just don't enjoy listening to him.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:04 AM, BloodyHell said:

He seems to think he's exceptionally funny and profound, and is all around annoying.

I don't want to get into a semantics war, but in the way hate is used as slang I think this qualifies lol 

• True 1

I listened to the recent Barlow rant. It seems completely based on the fact that she personally sees twitter users call him a genius and she doesn't like his stuff. And she keeps insisting that she doesn't follow him and doesn't know anything about him other than his games, then goes on to list very specific things about him. 

She just makes it personal in a weird way. Like say you think it sucks, I dunno. The way she lingers on the perception of him and has to cut him down. Do we need a 20 minute discussion on how you think Barlow isn't the genius that some twitter people think he is? 

Jess is just too online. She thinks about the reaction of shit as she says it and tries to get in front of it. She references vague opinions held by the anonymous mobs of twitter. Like the statement that she wasn't "doing a self harm" by engaging with Barlow's stuff. 

Edit: One more addendum here. One of the reasons I don't enjoy the Bombcast anymore is not just because of Jess (I don't really get too excited for the pods she isn't on, either). I don't want to paint the original crew as the most thoughtful and astute critics of all time. But when they did like something or play something for a period of time, they would generally have very specific reasons and rationale for their opinion of the game. Vinny recently actually spoke about Immortality on their pod, and he mentioned the attention to detail with things like the sets, and discussed how complex it would be to be able to have a good narrative in fake movies that you can follow. And he and Brad had a discussion about the video editing nerd stuff that they appreciated about the game (as well as the flaws with it). Jan mentions some of this in passing, but never used as a response directly to Jess to counter the vague criticism she has about the game, which again seems to be based more on "vibes" than anything else. And not only that, Vinny and Brad in particular would be able to counter her in a mature way that would respect her opinion but still push back and provide alternative views. 

We just don't get that now. It's more like "ok sure jess but hey I like it, *jess apologizes disingenuously* oh no jess never apologize for anything." It is very unsatisfying to listen to. 

• True 1

54 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I listened to the recent Barlow rant. It seems completely based on the fact that she personally sees twitter users call him a genius and she doesn't like his stuff. And she keeps insisting that she doesn't follow him and doesn't know anything about him other than his games, then goes on to list very specific things about him. 

She just makes it personal in a weird way. Like say you think it sucks, I dunno. The way she lingers on the perception of him and has to cut him down. Do we need a 20 minute discussion on how you think Barlow isn't the genius that some twitter people think he is? 

Jess is just too online. She thinks about the reaction of shit as she says it and tries to get in front of it. She references vague opinions held by the anonymous mobs of twitter. Like the statement that she wasn't "doing a self harm" by engaging with Barlow's stuff.

She's very contradictory in a lot of things she says. She's the person who likes the "spooky" games except games with ghosts or a bunch of other scary games. Things like she likes bad games because they crack her up, things that people otherwise would think would be bad while ragging on something that is bad but trying to be good and somehow that's worse (in the case of Immortality). Things like dismissing bad voice acting and stuff as good because she laughs or (in the case of silent hill) fits the character but otherwise is bad to anyone else who's not sucking off Silent Hill. Maybe someone will talk about Bloober Team and Sam Barlow on the same show and make her head explode! :o

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah he talked about this on his podcast. Maybe you should listen to it instead of saying it's weird being just him. :p

Honestly I might start, cuz I’m not listening to giant bomb anymore. See if Jeff is any more interesting now that he’s settled in. I do miss his sense of humor. 

17 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Honestly I might start, cuz I’m not listening to giant bomb anymore. See if Jeff is any more interesting now that he’s settled in. I do miss his sense of humor. 

He does get guests occasionally (He had Ben on once) and he's got a separate one from his main one that he's doing with Glenn Rubenstein called Game Boyz II Men.

Personally I don't mind the solo stuff. It always reminded me of his Giant Bomb "Old Games" content when it was just him streaming old video games, which he also does now on his youtube channel

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He does get guests occasionally (He had Ben on once) and he's got a separate one from his main one that he's doing with Glenn Rubenstein called Game Boyz II Men.

Personally I don't mind the solo stuff. It always reminded me of his Giant Bomb "Old Games" content when it was just him streaming old video games, which he also does now on his youtube channel

I wish he’d go like 90 mins haha. His 2-3 hour + pods are tough