What are you guys feeling about the new Giant Bomb crew now that they’ve kind of settled in?

Paperclyp

5 hours ago, Chris- said:

Was it known he was leaving? I passively follow GB and it doesn’t seem like it serves much of a purpose if Jeff isn’t sticking around, his editorial control always seemed pretty crucial to making it was it was. 

It seemed like with two kids he had less time to dedicate to the site.

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Blatant speculation but I feel like Jeff has taken a less active role in everything as the years have rolled on.  He appears in fewer things, hosts fewer podcasts, and all of the new GB stuff seems to feature him less and less.  Whether that’s him being pushed out or him having less interest in the new direction who can say?  He’s spoken openly in the past that the site was built on a foundation that made more sense ten years ago but would be made totally different if they started today.  

He was definitely doing less but I think that was life getting in the way. I know his first kid came before Covid. Then Covid happened. Then Red Ventures stuff. I think his 2nd child was less than a year ago.  Thinking about it, maybe I'm not surprised he's leaving after all that. Imo Giantbomb is a shell of its former self without people chilling in a room together. 

Someone posted a Nextlander clip from today where they found out today was Jeffs last day. They didn't say much but seemed very shocked/surprised. 

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I find it odd that the nextlander guys have barely if ever mentioned Jeff in particular since they started. Jeff also never really publicly acknowledged nextlander (to my knowledge). I wondered if there were sour grapes there or if I’m reading into something that isn’t there. 

At the same time, the nextlander guys are mentioning something new coming but they couldn’t give details so maybe it’s all ruse and he’s joining them lol. 

I bet the truth is more unexciting and Jeff maybe crunched the numbers and decided he could go on his own and be ok, and spend more time with his family. 

This is a clip of them live reacting to it but they said they'd address it after the stream but seem pretty surprised

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1496466655?ios-app-redirect=true&sr=a&t=4195s

RIP GB 

Listening to the annual GOTY fiasco was a great holiday tradition of mine before the Nextlander split. 

I’d love to hear a postmortem of all the fuckery that has gone on internally over there with the various acquisitions. 

@LazyPiranha

@Mercury33

@Keyser_Soze

So I see where the confusion is for me. I wasn’t completely through this past weeks pod and assumed key was talking about the prior time she brought it up (I’m telling you she references this a lot lol). This week’s conversation was more vague and preceded by the topic of skill based matchmaking and the meta and what have you. 

If you go back I think literally one week she talked about that same party in more detail and how she wishes the game had options like adjusting health for each player, damage dealt, etc. 

I acknowledge I have a bias against her but I think it’s fair to say in this case bare minimum she isn’t willing to do the bare minimum research about a topic that she has brought up multiple times to find the game has the specific features she claims she wishes it had. 

I also feel like… dude this is a single experience at one party that you had and in no way is it an issue specific to smash brothers. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

@LazyPiranha

@Mercury33

@Keyser_Soze

So I see where the confusion is for me. I wasn’t completely through this past weeks pod and assumed key was talking about the prior time she brought it up (I’m telling you she references this a lot lol). This week’s conversation was more vague and preceded by the topic of skill based matchmaking and the meta and what have you. 

If you go back I think literally one week she talked about that same party in more detail and how she wishes the game had options like adjusting health for each player, damage dealt, etc.

She's mentioned it at least three times, and I was just kind of mentioning a collective bringing up of the topic. The one from a couple weeks ago I let slide but then she brought it up again and I thought oh brother. :rolleyes:

"They were wavedashing!" Well if you know what it is, why don't you do it too?

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

She's mentioned it at least three times, and I was just kind of mentioning a collective bringing up of the topic. The one from a couple weeks ago I let slide but then she brought it up again and I thought oh brother. :rolleyes:

"They were wavedashing!" Well if you know what it is, why don't you do it too?

I guess it would be cool if smash had like a dynamic skill adjustment mode where the game recognized who was doing well and who wasn’t and adjusted on the fly, but I am skeptical the guys she was playing with would wanna flip that mode on when they apparently didn’t tell the girls there they could give them more lives or more health or more damage when it became apparent that they were getting their ass handed to them repeatedly lol. 

12 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I don’t mind Dan but what??? I thought he did something for WWE, had his own twitch thing and podcast. Coming back to Giantbomb just seems weird.

He might have quite that job to do this job. I think he was producer for the New Day Podcast. By doing Giant Bomb he might have agreed to keep doing his other side stuff too. His job role is creative director for GB. TBH this is what Giant Bomb needed. Younger talent with some industry game veterans. As much as I enjoy listening to Gerstman, Vinny, Alex and Brad they weren't going to attract newer viewers.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
1.png?token-time=1656892800&token-hash=F
T.CO

Become a patron of Jeff Gerstmann today: Get access to exclusive content and experiences on the world’s largest membership platform for artists and creators.

He saw what Nextlander was making and wanted a piece. How much is Nextlander currently?

I’m pretty sure Jeff just wants to do more stuff with his family and not be beholden to the typical daily and weekly rigamarole that being essentially the man in charge of a site like that entails.

Dan was on Nextlander’s new edition of their pod and hinted that his job for the WWE wasn’t going great. I was really hoping that would mean he would be joining nextlander rather than giant bomb, but at the same time I don’t necessarily staying at any one place for too long. I am surprised to see him come back though in a more permanent role, he always seemed luke warm when talking about his time at the site when he was a full timer.  

Maybe they’ve already said but I assume this means they’ll be doing 2 pods or if they aren’t, the main pod will be a rotating cast… I thought I was out but with Tam and Rykert on full time I think they reeled me right back in. 

God damnit. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Maybe they’ve already said but I assume this means they’ll be doing 2 pods or if they aren’t, the main pod will be a rotating cast… I thought I was out but with Tam and Rykert on full time I think they reeled me right back in. 

God damnit. 

They said 1 podcast with rotating cast with Jan as host. I'm ok with that. Everyone is pretty much going to be working on content which is great. Dan said he might bring back some of his old ideas. Demo Derby was always fun to watch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The def star said:

They said 1 podcast with rotating cast with Jan as host. I'm ok with that. Everyone is pretty much going to be working on content which is great. Dan said he might bring back some of his old ideas. Demo Derby was always fun to watch.

I feel like a lot of his best ideas are shows that are better in person like steal my sunshine or burgle my bananas

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I wish GB would get Danny back. Why did he end up leaving? I don’t really follow any of this stuff closely. Just listen to Bombcast and that’s it. 

Sounded like he had some personal family stuff come up initially and now it seems like he got a lot of projects green lit at once.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I’m about an hour into Gerstmann’s podcast. It’s only the 1st episode but I don’t think I can listen to him alone for 2-3 hours.

Haha that’s what I wasn’t sure about. He needs silly people to balance out his grumpy hates everything outlook. 

I liked what I heard from the Bombcast this week. I think that’s a good group they have. 

As I listen to Jeff’s pod and think about way giant bomb discussed his departure, and I realize I’m just speculating about bits of nothing and it’s insane to do but I want to do it anyway, it feels to me like something negative went down with Jeff. Maybe not a super bad thing but some kind of massive difference of opinion that was just irreconcilable….

14 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

As I listen to Jeff’s pod and think about way giant bomb discussed his departure, and I realize I’m just speculating about bits of nothing and it’s insane to do but I want to do it anyway, it feels to me like something negative went down with Jeff. Maybe not a super bad thing but some kind of massive difference of opinion that was just irreconcilable….

It definitely didn't sound amicable. It was sudden and weird, and the language Gb put out in their statement seemed contentious.

Listening to their ‘introduction’ website. I hope that they end up with Jan and Jeff on the majority of the time. The updated approach to web content sounds good - but not for me. Chances are, I won’t be a listener for much longer and will be off looking for something new!