What are you guys feeling about the new Giant Bomb crew now that they’ve kind of settled in?

Paperclyp

I gotta say, initially I was quite optimistic when they added Jess as she seemed like a big fan, really positive, was just gonna bring a breath of fresh air and perspective, etc. 

But now after listening for a few months she’s just a big bummer. She’s cynical about everything and seems like she tries to one up everyone’s personal stories with stuff I’m not entirely sure actually happened to her. 

I’m still a big fan of everyone else and felt they were kind of getting a nice chemistry together, especially Jan. But Bombcasts kind of pile up on my phone now. 

Am I way off here? 

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Jess is only there to pimp silent hill and suck at every other game. I still like her though. Maybe branch off from the bombcast and watch Run to the Hills and maybe you'll like her.

I liked what I saw of Run to the Hills. Not feeling her on the Bombcast tho. 

I don't mind Jess but I don't always vibe with her. I can't tell if she has a delay in her headset or if she purposely talks over people way more than the others seem to do. Kind of takes me out of the podcast everytime she does it.

Content wise, it's sad to say I don't watch any of of their new content anymore. I'd say about 75% of what they are doing doesn't interest me. The other 25% I might find interesting but the chemistry/vibe just isn't there. 

Thinking about it now, I feel like Jan is the only energetic/positive member of the whole bunch.  Everybody else always has a "tired sigh" to their persona. 

I really miss the Beastcast. Austin Walker brought fresh games and perspectives that I didn't always know much about. Then the crazy fun of Vinny, Abby, Dan, and Alex. Bakalar fit in so much better with them. 

5 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Thinking about it now, I feel like Jan is the only energetic/positive member of the whole bunch.  Everybody else always has a "tired sigh" to their persona. 

I really miss the Beastcast. Austin Walker brought fresh games and perspectives that I didn't always know much about. Then the crazy fun of Vinny, Abby, Dan, and Alex. Bakalar fit in so much better with them. 

I stopped listening to Giant Bomb years ago specifically because of their "tired sigh" persona. Beastcast wasnt as bad, but even they started to sound burned out after a while.

Gertsman seemed like he could barely bother to put on pants half the time.

• True 1

Gertsman has earned his persona and that's genuinely him - has been for decades, so I don't mind it. Jan is such a great addition. I love JB, but I agree with you guys in that he and Vinnie were fried gold and he just isn't the same on the Bombcast (though still a positive). It's a shame Odwyer (god I can't spell that and I'm not gonna look it up) had some personal stuff to attend to, because I was a big fan of his on there. 

• 4 weeks later...

@Paperclyp Now that I'm somewhat caught up on the bombcasts I will say the way Jess describes the "gatekeeping" of souls games a bit odd.

She says that when you push back on the map it opens help instead of exiting the map (which is B) is confusing as it should be the same button - But I agree this is odd and probably should be fixed, I don't think anyone has ever gatekeeped about that (and this is the first game with a map anyway)

Then goes on to say she wishes the messages were in alphabetical order, which I think is valid and again no one is gatekeeping those decisions.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Then goes on to say she wishes the messages were in alphabetical order, which I think is valid and again no one is gatekeeping those decisions.

wouldn't be surprised if this is because the text is simply translated and it would require FROM to actually put it in alphabetical order and they prolly don't give a fuck 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Paperclyp Now that I'm somewhat caught up on the bombcasts I will say the way Jess describes the "gatekeeping" of souls games a bit odd.

She says that when you push back on the map it opens help instead of exiting the map (which is B) is confusing as it should be the same button - But I agree this is odd and probably should be fixed, I don't think anyone has ever gatekeeped about that (and this is the first game with a map anyway)

I cannot speak rationally about her at this point cuz everything she says pretty much annoys me lol. In my head she just starts talking without a real point in mind, says some words she’s heard before and if people push back she’s like oh no of course obviously. Like their riff about teslas to start this week’s show, she says something like “and I’ve heard the batteries will literally explode too so even dumber reason to jump the Tesla,” and it just wasn’t in the flow of the convo or anything. I sense that Jeff G is annoyed with her frequently but I’ve noticed bakalar sounding a little annoyed by here at times as well, and after she said that he’s just like yeah ok not sure if that’s true but anyway. 

Primary annoyance with her is she just doesn’t have a sense of when to talk and for how long. She interrupts a lot and then uses like 60 seconds to make a point that could’ve been made in 10 so people just sit there like yep… yep.. uh huh. And she’s a one upper. Any story anyone has she’s like yup I do that too and ____. 

Anyway I sound unhinged so I’ll stop. But she really does annoy the hell out of me.

I don't enjoy it at all, anymore. 

Before the nextlander guys left, I liked it a bit, but I've never been a fan of Gertsman. Don't hate him or anything, I just don't feel like listening to a grumpy old guy who dislikes everything about everything.

It was definitely better with Abby, Vinny, and the others. Jess is definitely not a good edition.

Im really enjoying most of the MinnMax cast right now (minus Janet Garcia, who I just find unlikeable, especially after their GotY episode this year). But Ben, kyle, and Sarah are excellent. Sacred Symbols is another incredible gaming podcast. Kinda Funny is a weird one, because I like most of the cast (minus Tim), but I hate their shows. Every show they do is formulaic nonsense. Exactly the same, down to the words, just cut and paste today's news. I find it unwatchable, which is sad because they were once great content producers.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Also if this fuckin map thing in elden ring was such a deal breaker for so many people, why the fuck have I not heard word ONE about it in Pokémon Arceus which does the same damn thing? 

There seems to be a minority of the gaming press and game developers who are very upset about Elden Rings success, and look for anything to complain about. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

There seems to be a minority of the gaming press and game developers who are very upset about Elden Rings success, and look for anything to complain about. 

I’m being a little reductive but my god all I heard on Twitter for a week by “UI developers” was this map thing lol. 

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Also if this fuckin map thing in elden ring was such a deal breaker for so many people, why the fuck have I not heard word ONE about it in Pokémon Arceus which does the same damn thing? 

i think because expectations for pokemon games are really low lol

26 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m being a little reductive but my god all I heard on Twitter for a week by “UI developers” was this map thing lol. 

They have been very upset because they finally started to realize nobody likes their intrusive icons throwing up all over beautiful maps, and that millions of us don't want everything to be constantly told to us.

"Maybe I should try that vent!" Is not required when I've been searching for 15 seconds.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:04 AM, Paperclyp said:

I cannot speak rationally about her at this point cuz everything she says pretty much annoys me lol. In my head she just starts talking without a real point in mind, says some words she’s heard before and if people push back she’s like oh no of course obviously. Like their riff about teslas to start this week’s show, she says something like “and I’ve heard the batteries will literally explode too so even dumber reason to jump the Tesla,” and it just wasn’t in the flow of the convo or anything. I sense that Jeff G is annoyed with her frequently but I’ve noticed bakalar sounding a little annoyed by here at times as well, and after she said that he’s just like yeah ok not sure if that’s true but anyway. 

Primary annoyance with her is she just doesn’t have a sense of when to talk and for how long. She interrupts a lot and then uses like 60 seconds to make a point that could’ve been made in 10 so people just sit there like yep… yep.. uh huh. And she’s a one upper. Any story anyone has she’s like yup I do that too and ____. 

Anyway I sound unhinged so I’ll stop. But she really does annoy the hell out of me.

Did you catch the voicemail dump truck podcast 2 or 3 episodes ago where they listened to a voicemail about Silent Hill and she accused the guy of "mansplaining" to her about Silent Hill? I would have to listen to it again to even remember what she was whining about, but I think the following episode she "called in" and left an apology. She apologized and then IMMEDIATELY started some dumbass story about how she scratched her nose really hard while taking a shower and it started bleeding in the shower. Sounded made up as hell and all it did was make the apology seem worthless. 

54 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Did you catch the voicemail dump truck podcast 2 or 3 episodes ago where they listened to a voicemail about Silent Hill and she accused the guy of "mansplaining" to her about Silent Hill? I would have to listen to it again to even remember what she was whining about, but I think the following episode she "called in" and left an apology. She apologized and then IMMEDIATELY started some dumbass story about how she scratched her nose really hard while taking a shower and it started bleeding in the shower. Sounded made up as hell and all it did was make the apology seem worthless. 

Let me know if she’s off on a dump truck some week and that’s probably the only time I’ll try to listen to that pod lol. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Now I feel like I need to listen to one of these just so I can share in the Jess cringe. 

@Paperclyp I now see the oneupmanship  after last weeks show. They took an email talking about some guy who laundered money for a trap house and then Jess goes into this story of how she thought her neighbor was cooking meth because it was a bad smell and they burned a spaghetti pot in the microwave and there was a skinny girl with jugs of yellow liquid and also there was a unicorn they shoved cocaine in the anus and crossed the border with (I made that last part up but see I can do it too!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Paperclyp I now see the oneupmanship  after last weeks show. They took an email talking about some guy who laundered money for a trap house and then Jess goes into this story of how she thought her neighbor was cooking meth because it was a bad smell and they burned a spaghetti pot in the microwave and there was a skinny girl with jugs of yellow liquid and also there was a unicorn they shoved cocaine in the anus and crossed the border with (I made that last part up but see I can do it too!)

Some stuff she says just makes her sound really inexperienced in life or she is just lying, I can't tell. First off, it would have to be one big ass microwave to even fit a pasta pot inside of.  Second, it would be super easy to burn a hole through a thin metal pot, especially on an electric stove top if you forgot to turn if off and the pot was empty. Obviously the metal is going to be discolored and burned afterwards. But sure, they were making meth.... 

17 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I didn’t feel that was trying to one-up a story, just something else vaguely illegal. If another member had told that story we’d just be talking about it as another anecdote…

Bakalar already cast doubt when he asked, "Why do you think that is / how did you come to that conclusion" (Something like that)

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I didn’t feel that was trying to one-up a story, just something else vaguely illegal. If another member had told that story we’d just be talking about it as another anecdote…

It’s just the cumulative effects for me, and the vibe I get that the others on the pod aren’t really buying what she’s selling. I know they’ve made fun of people speculating about that in the past, more on the beast cast, but this time it feels legitimate to me. 

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That was the worst story I’ve ever heard in my entire life. And I’m 99% all the other guys on the Bombcast thought that as well. I laughed my ass off when Jeff was just like “ok” when she was done. 

She just comes as that person whose trying way to hard bro. I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t stand her. 

27 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Jess was totally different this week. No drawn out stories, no interrupting, and actually apologized when she did interrupt once when it was totally appropriate to do so (Jeff’s feed was going bad).

Even that story about how she got a tank top could be real!

• Like 1