Update (11/15/23): RIP in Peace, ComiXology app

For the last few weeks, the Comixology app posted a notification informing users that the legacy app would be retiring in favor of one that completes the integration of Comixology with the overall Amazon/Kindle ecosystem.

That integration happened last week and it's been an unmitigated disaster on every level possible.  The new app has SIGNIFICANTLY less features/functionality the the old one.

- Wish Lists? Gone.

- Smart Lists? Gone.

- Enhanced Library Functions (like Archiving)? Gone.

- Ease of seeing what's on sale? Gone.

- Subscriptions for non-US readers? Gone, and existing subscriptions being cancelled without notice

- Many user-friendly/quality of life features? Gone. Gone Gone.

You get the picture, but don't take my word for it - take a gander at its general reception from the press (and Patton Oswalt):

pjimage-74-1645251540068.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Comixology recently rolled out Version 4.0 of its digital comics service, and the results are anything but pretty. We break down why this upgrade is such a major step back, and why Comixology's misstep is bad for the industry as a whole.

5ca6699e43f83af7522bb39de814349a.png
GIZMODO.COM

After years of relative independence, Amazon's closer integration of Comixology comes with lost features, bad storefronts, and a truly woeful browser reader.

47060-91694-Comixology-xl.jpg
APPLEINSIDER.COM

Comixology is migrating users to a new app that brings all the good and bad features of Amazon Kindle with it. Here's everything you need to know about the migration.

comixology-originals-header.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

The lack of a decent digital reader and a confusing new interface are chief among the complaints lodged against ComiXology.

Comixology-Wolverine-Batman-marvel-dc.pn
SCREENRANT.COM

Amazon isn't doing comic fans any favors...

comixology-kindle-2-e1644873100363.jpg?f
WWW.COMICSBEAT.COM

If you are considering updating to the new app at the insistence of comiXology. Don't. Just don't. Keep the old one as long as you are able.

https%3A%2F%2Fbamsmackpow.com%2Fwp-conte
BAMSMACKPOW.COM

The new updates to ComiXology may cause the app and Amazon hundreds of subscribers. ComiXology has been the leader in digital comics for years. It’s not ...

Patton Oswalt Vs ComiXology And The App Update (Bleeding Cool)

Another day, more ComiXology complaints to join the litany that Bleeding Cool has been reporting in recent days. But maybe a chink of light as well? But first, the issues reached geek royalty as Patton Oswalt opened up his ComiXology app to read his comic books and… oh dear.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

The new Comixology app is so very terrible in its current state that I honestly don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to suggest that it could potentially impact the comics industry as a whole if not rectified in relatively short order (and if there's one entertainment industry that can ill afford to take anymore knocks, it's THAT one!).  I can honestly imagine the major publishers putting some heat on Amazon to "fix this shit NOW!"

Here's the kicker for me:  the app instantly crashes whenever I try to open it on my Kindle Fire tablet and I'm definitely not the only person that's happening to based on comments on the Kindle App Store.  In other words, an app developed by Amazon is instantly crashing on an Amazon tablet.  Fantastic QC there, guys!

This debacle pretty much made my mind up to transition out of the Amazon ecosystem as much as possible.  The price increase in Amazon Prime already had me on the fence as to whether or not to renew my membership seeing as how I really don't purchase that much in the way of physical goods from Amazon, but this Comixology nonsense has pushed me over into the "cancel Prime" side and to attempt to reduce my overall exposure to this nauseating company.

• Sicko 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Way to totally botch the entire Comixology experience, Amazon
  • 10 months later...

Oh yeah - things are still going swimmingly.  The app is currently only slightly less terrible than it was a year ago and now this happens:

So. Comixology.

My name is Scott and I spent my ~10 years at Comixology working on the pages and lists customers clicked on, the pulllist (way back when).... and the discount sales that everybody likes.

It'd the best job I ever had, and the best people I ever worked with. 

This morning, there were significant cuts to the Comixology staff. I have no numbers to share, but it looks like, from the outside, that at least 50% of the staff have been let go.

Possibly 75%.

comixology-kindle-2-e1644873100363.jpg
WWW.COMICSBEAT.COM

From 50-75% of Comixology staff let go in Amazon layoffs

It's safe to say that the app won't receive any further updates and will be discontinued in favor of rolling the comics reading experience into the overall Kindle platform.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (19 January 2023): Amazon might have cut up to 75% of ComiXology's staff

Also both Marvel AND DC have their own digital subscribtion services now... not sure who else has them but that HAS to hurt Comixology. Also with all of the Manga sites that are free, of course they would get squeezed out. The comic book industry is such a racket now... you have to be making six figures to really keep up if you're still buying physical. Otherwise people either go digital or they straight up pirate books online. My comic book hobby is by FAR my most expensive hobby... no joke my monthly comic book bill is easily a car payment. A NICE car :| I have problems.

• Shocked 1
  • Sicko 1

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also both Marvel AND DC have their own digital subscribtion services now... not sure who else has them but that HAS to hurt Comixology. Also with all of the Manga sites that are free, of course they would get squeezed out. The comic book industry is such a racket now... you have to be making six figures to really keep up if you're still buying physical. Otherwise people either go digital or they straight up pirate books online. My comic book hobby is by FAR my most expensive hobby... no joke my monthly comic book bill is easily a car payment. A NICE car :| I have problems.

I'd really like to see your pull list! :epilepsy:

3 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I'd really like to see your pull list! :epilepsy:

Don't have one... I just order shit every week and have them shipped to me if I don't go to the store. That's not counting all the books I get from the various online auctions I participate in. I'm bidding on a bunch of books now. 

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Gonna go ahead and cancel Comixology Unlimited now

Yeah I probably should too.

• 9 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (11/15): RIP in Peace, ComiXology app
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (11/15/23): RIP in Peace, ComiXology app

I only recently bought Invincible as my first digital comic, but I don't really notice any difference in the two apps for simple reading purposes. I never really read regular books on my iPad, so I don't really mind intermingling the collections. Does seem like a pain for people with significant libraries though. They should at least have their own tabs in the app though.