Barry: The Final Season (HBO, 16 April 2023) - Official Trailer

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really gotta wonder if there was any serious discussion at HBO about maybe postponing that episode for a week or two.

I'm surprised they didn't to be honest. Same with that opening scene of Obi-Wan Kenobi. It's almost seeming as if shootings in America are becoming so common, that postponing media featuring heavy gun violence is no longer seen as necessary, and if that's not a damning condemnation of America's gun culture...

12 hours ago, Brick said:

I'm surprised they didn't to be honest. Same with that opening scene of Obi-Wan Kenobi. It's almost seeming as if shootings in America are becoming so common, that postponing media featuring heavy gun violence is no longer seen as necessary, and if that's not a damning condemnation of America's gun culture...

There's also a warning in front of the first episode of Stranger Things too. It was weird Kenobi didn't have a warning.

The one thing I have to say about this show is that quite often your reaction to it has a lot to do with the mood that you are in. I say this because I watched the three seasons while in dialysis, which is one of the worst places I've ever been in my life. In other words, I hate it when I'm there. So when seeing Barry kill all sorts of people, I'm often in a mindset of "yeah, that school bus filled with children holding penguins really deserved to be offed in that most horrible way".

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well the noose is definitely tightening. The stuff with Ryan's dad in the car (someone Barry killed in season 1) was tough.

Barry didn't actually kill Ryan. He was hired to, but the Chechens did it. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:16 AM, Kal-El814 said:

This is neither a good nor an interesting direction for Sally’s character to go.

This is the direction that she was always going. She's a narcissistic megalomaniac and always has been, I was surprised to see "fans" of her character ITT. Like, she's not Barry in terms of "bad" or "unredeemable" but she's certainly not a good person and never was.

• True 1

Regarding Albert, 

Spoiler

Not sure how I feel about him letting Barry go because he saved his life, and allowed him to have a kid. Feels like a bit of a cop out (pun intended), but I would have to guess he'll play into season 4 somehow. 

Sally wanting Barry to scare Natalie, and then brutally killing that biker (in self defense mind you), seems like she's heading down a dark path. 

Was that a lion or tiger in the other cell next to Hank?! Just the audio of that was pretty scary! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

That ending - I'm curious where this will go. We know Fuches is in prison already. And is Cristobal okay? He didn't seem all "there" at the end. An excellent episode of TV.

Well he DID see the mother of his children just get shot in the head ... by the man that he loves no less. I'm fairly sure he's more than somewhat torn, at the very least. I'd say each & every episode in season 3 topped the prior with ease & the whole of the season makes it the best yet for sure.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

His wife was attempting to "shock the gay out" of him.  He most definitely is not okay.

Oh yeah for sure, gay conversion therapy which is why she gets the bullet (finally!), but like, I meant more can he even come back mentally? His brain seemed fried to me.

Yeah this season had a lot less comedy in it, but damn if it wasn't also more gripping with its drama 

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

Season 3 of Bill Hader’s HBO series about a listless hitman, which ended Sunday, marked a stark shift toward the show’s darker impulses.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't finished the season but I feel like things have just been all over the place in a way that is not necessarily good. Things are unpredictable, but that's because the show seems to constantly change the rules governing its strange reality. It feels like ten insanely dramatic things happen an episode, and you would be hard pressed to guess which events will actually have consequences and which ones will be completely forgotten with a scene change. The humor has been relegated to lame jokes about Hollywood being out of touch that only an out of touch Hollywooder could think still passes for commentary. It feels like there are absolutely no governing rules about how characters will act and which increasingly absurd event will have any greater meaning to the plot. The show is so fast paced that it can successfully gloss over a city-spanning firefight and a suicide bomber at a garden center, but it becomes increasingly hard to give a shit about the cops closing in on Barry for one murder, when literally 100% of the rest of the population of LA seems to know he's a killer.

Maybe I should wait until I finish the season to pass judgement, but it's weird falling out of love with a show I had really enjoyed in real time. It's still compelling and fun to watch, but it also feels like it has gotten dumb where previously it had been smart.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, Moa said:

I haven't finished the season but I feel like things have just been all over the place in a way that is not necessarily good. Things are unpredictable, but that's because the show seems to constantly change the rules governing its strange reality. It feels like ten insanely dramatic things happen an episode, and you would be hard pressed to guess which events will actually have consequences and which ones will be completely forgotten with a scene change. The humor has been relegated to lame jokes about Hollywood being out of touch that only an out of touch Hollywooder could think still passes for commentary. It feels like there are absolutely no governing rules about how characters will act and which increasingly absurd event will have any greater meaning to the plot. The show is so fast paced that it can successfully gloss over a city-spanning firefight and a suicide bomber at a garden center, but it becomes increasingly hard to give a shit about the cops closing in on Barry for one murder, when literally 100% of the rest of the population of LA seems to know he's a killer.

Maybe I should wait until I finish the season to pass judgement, but it's weird falling out of love with a show I had really enjoyed in real time. It's still compelling and fun to watch, but it also feels like it has gotten dumb where previously it had been smart.

Upon reflection, these are very valid observations/criticisms of this season, especially regarding just how "unpredictable" the events became even within the show's own skewed internal logic/reality.  The only real justification that I can come up with for this approach was to reflect the fragmenting of Barry's own psychological condition - as his psyche became more unhinged, the reality within which the show operates also becomes detached from its own "rational" foundations (such as they are).

I'd also say that I absolutely did not like what was done to Sally's character at all - it just seemed unnecessarily cruel and mean-spirited.  Again, the only reasonable justification that comes to my mind was that the "assassination" of Sally's character was intended to further cement the notion that Barry is absolutely, unequivocally not a "good guy" in any way, shape, or form and that he destroys everything and everyone that he comes into contact with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Upon reflection, these are very valid observations/criticisms of this season, especially regarding just how "unpredictable" the events became even within the show's own skewed internal logic/reality.  The only real justification that I can come up with for this approach was to reflect the fragmenting of Barry's own psychological condition - as his psyche became more unhinged, the reality within which the show operates also becomes detached from its own "rational" foundations (such as they are).

I'd also say that I absolutely did not like what was done to Sally's character at all - it just seemed unnecessarily cruel and mean-spirited.  Again, the only reasonable justification that comes to my mind was that the "assassination" of Sally's character was intended to further cement the notion that Barry is absolutely, unequivocally not a "good guy" in any way, shape, or form and that he destroys everything and everyone that he comes into contact with.

I know this is a weird comment to make about a show in which a lot of people die horribly and occasionally humorously, but I really didn't need to see Sally get almost choked out in this season. Aside from that, I agree that for a show that has let most of its characters have some moments of grace despite their actions, Sally is just a consistent punching bag and it's depressing.

• Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally caught up on this too, fantastic show still. I liked everything about it, was even okay with what happened with Albert, I assume that’s some military bonding I don’t understand, except how they handled Sally. I didn’t need that turn and I don’t think the show did either.

if they are planning to go all natural born killers with it or something after he gets out of jail, that’ll be so boring, I feel like I just did the gf turns out to be a psycho killer too thing with ‘You’. I rather for her character they use this for them to give her motive to have her moment of redemption and be less self involved or something.

I thought the ending of Hanks season arc was really touching. The highway shootout was fucking incredible, I’m glad I watched it a bit away from any major real world event. Still an amazing show, wrap it up in a season or two and give Bill a new show.

52 minutes ago, stepee said:

Finally caught up on this too, fantastic show still. I liked everything about it, was even okay with what happened with Albert, I assume that’s some military bonding I don’t understand, except how they handled Sally. I didn’t need that turn and I don’t think the show did either.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the ending of Hanks season arc was really touching. The highway shootout was fucking incredible, I’m glad I watched it a bit away from any major real world event. Still an amazing show, wrap it up in a season or two and give Bill a new show.

I thought the first two seasons were both better than season 3... but it was still better than most of what is on - also they deserve some slack for how long it got delayed and pushed around.  I can't really see a reason for another season.  Every storyline pretty much got wrapped up.

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Barry Season 4 confirmed to be the final one