Barry: The Final Season (HBO, 16 April 2023) - Official Trailer

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I definitely see it, I wonder if there was some influence there. Serial killer vs. hitman isn't that different of a premise. Dexter was trying to live a normal cop life, Barry it's an acting life.

Speaking as someone who has taken acting lessons at The Second City (they even use the exact same SC chairs in the show), I couldn't help but laugh at some of the acting exercises in the show because that's pretty much what we do, and it's admittedly a little ridiculous. 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

That detonate app bit was pretty good. 

I can't remember but was it ever said what kind of people Barry was sent to assassinate? Were they bad people, or just people someone wanted dead, and paid to have killed. Kind of chilling to see the wife and son of the guy he murdered in the first episode, which you rarely see in shows about killers. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Brick said:

That detonate app bit was pretty good. 

I can't remember but was it ever said what kind of people Barry was sent to assassinate? Were they bad people, or just people someone wanted dead, and paid to have killed. Kind of chilling to see the wife and son of the guy he murdered in the first episode, which you rarely see in shows about killers. 

There is no "morality" to Barry's hit jobs - he kills the people he's paid to kill.

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There is no "morality" to Barry's hit jobs - he kills the people he's paid to kill.

Yeah, unlike something like Dexter, where I think both the show and the character try to rationalize the ongoing existence and activity of the protagonist, Barry bounces back and forth between the character trying to do that even though I don't think the show "endorses" what he does at all. Barry isn't a vigilante and there isn't a single person at this point in his life that he hasn't tried to fuck over in the interest of self preservation. Unlike Dexter there's not really even a "cover" of mental illness that frames his actions. He started the show depressed, yes, but it's not the same thing.

Again, he deserves every bad thing that may come his way. Not that the murders aren't awful, but his relationship with Sally is wildly toxic too.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

OK, couldn't remember if Fuches was sending him to kill people like drug kingpins, arms dealers, etc., or if it was just anyone that contacted and paid him and Fuches. Can't believe it's been two years since I first started watching this show, and all because of an audition I had that used a scene from it. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

OK, couldn't remember if Fuches was sending him to kill people like drug kingpins, arms dealers, etc., or if it was just anyone that contacted and paid him and Fuches. Can't believe it's been two years since I first started watching this show, and all because of an audition I had that used a scene from it. 

I think sometimes it was bad people like that, but I think he killed anyone Fuches basically told him too, and Fuches is morally bankrupt so he probably accepted any job that came his way. I mean, just in this season Barry casually killed both guys because one guy wanted the other guy dead for sleeping with his wife, doing so basically so he could kill someone still like an addict. There's no Dexter "code" here it would seem.

Sally finally breaking up with Barry and Barry cutting ties with Cousineau to "free him" (and paid him off), meaning Barry has both lost his partner and his mentor, is certainly only going to have things go in an even darker direction.

12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think sometimes it was bad people like that, but I think he killed anyone Fuches basically told him too, and Fuches is morally bankrupt so he probably accepted any job that came his way. I mean, just in this season Barry casually killed both guys because one guy wanted the other guy dead for sleeping with his wife, doing so basically so he could kill someone still like an addict. There's no Dexter "code" here it would seem.

Sally finally breaking up with Barry and Barry cutting ties with Cousineau to "free him" (and paid him off), meaning Barry has both lost his partner and his mentor, is certainly only going to have things go in an even darker direction.

Just imagine if/when he finds out who told Sally to break up with him. He'll probably find out from Natalie.

• Halal 1

That cold open with the always amazing Annabeth Gish & the transition of time in the same spot, fuck that was amazing! Fuches however absolutely needs to die, horribly, slowly, painfully. He's a dark sick twisted fuck, far more so than Barry has ever been (not that he doesn't have the capability to fully embrace it however.)

Had missed the last two eps so I watched them back to back this morning, goddamn this show is fantastic!

15 hours ago, SoberChef said:

That cold open with the always amazing Annabeth Gish & the transition of time in the same spot, fuck that was amazing! Fuches however absolutely needs to die, horribly, slowly, painfully. He's a dark sick twisted fuck, far more so than Barry has ever been (not that he doesn't have the capability to fully embrace it however.)

Had missed the last two eps so I watched them back to back this morning, goddamn this show is fantastic!

They are absolutely two peas in a pod.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

They are absolutely two peas in a pod.

I think there's an argument to be made that Fuches holds some responsibility for Barry's mindset, he, as an older mentor figure before Cousineau to Barry, was clearly feeding all of Barry's worst impulses, making him a worse person. I wonder what Barry was like initially, very moldable I imagine.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Barry - Season 3 (HBO), update: renewed for Season 4
1 hour ago, Brick said:

Everyone in this show is an asshole to some degree :p

Fuches is a manipulative bastard, Barry is a killer, Gene is an arrogant dick fuck fuck, Hank is a moronic twerp, and Sally is pretentious and self absorbed. 

"To some degree" is really downplaying the sizeable difference between a Sally and a Fuches/Barry. That's basically saying "everyone is an asshole to some degree" in real life, which is essentially true. But lumping them in together seems to do the sizeable difference a disservice. :p 

Edit: To be clear, Sally is most certainly pretentious and self-absorbed (I hard rolled my eyes at the "I don't read reviews" and "we got a high score on RottenTomatoes immediate heel turn), just to confirm. :p 

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

"To some degree" is really downplaying the sizeable difference between a Sally and a Fuches/Barry. That's basically saying "everyone is an asshole to some degree" in real life, which is essentially true. But lumping them in together seems to do the sizeable difference a disservice. :p 

Yeeeaaaaahhh - the moral chasm between Sally and Barry/Fuches is the freakin' Grand Canyon.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think there's an argument to be made that Fuches holds some responsibility for Barry's mindset, he, as an older mentor figure before Cousineau to Barry, was clearly feeding all of Barry's worst impulses, making him a worse person. I wonder what Barry was like initially, very moldable I imagine.

Yeah that's fair. Ultimately it's Barry going around and doing the murders; he's continued to do that after Fuches split. We're a step beyond something like the Manson family murders since Fuches straight up tells Barry who to kill and there's no doubt that he molded Barry to some extent.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Everyone in this show is an asshole to some degree :p

Fuches is a manipulative bastard, Barry is a killer, Gene is an arrogant dick fuck fuck, Hank is a moronic twerp, and Sally is pretentious and self absorbed. 

Seeing Sally as anything other than a victim on this show is... weird. Not that she's just or only a victim of course. 

• Halal 1

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah that's fair. Ultimately it's Barry going around and doing the murders; he's continued to do that after Fuches split. We're a step beyond something like the Manson family murders since Fuches straight up tells Barry who to kill and there's no doubt that he molded Barry to some extent.

Yeah, agreed, Barry is an adult who is responsible for his own actions but the way I've felt the backstory seems to be is that Barry came back from the war, and opportunistic asshole Fuches saw a weapon/tool to make easy money. And it was all downhill for Barry from there. Barry probably doesn't know any other way to deal with his anger or his impulses thanks to Fuches, so I gotta give Barry some rope there.

But yeah, Barry is doing all the bad shit, so it's on him as well. Explanation is not justification, etc. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I feel like you, @Commissar SFLUFAN, and @Kal-El814 should know me well enough by now to know when my tongue is firmly in my cheek. 

Haha I felt like you were being funny about the fact that everyone on the show has negative traits, not that clearly you're not equating everyone to be the same, but I got it on the second go lol.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:27 PM, Brick said:

Well that was certainly an idea he had. 

I thought I was missing something at first when he dropped his filter with Sally. I was like, NoHo Hank didn't tell you to share actual parts of that side of yourself. Yikes!

Also, the poor mom and kid. Some dark Coen Bros. shit. Something about revenge, I'm sure. Fantastic episode. I also liked they showed both sides of apologizing, where some will accept it and some won't, and that's life. 

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

I feel like the mission statement for the writers of "Barry" are "How do we end each episode with the audience saying 'WHAT THE FUCK!?'" I could be wrong...but I'm not.

"I know how to help you! Get back in the trunk!" 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I almost forgot how simultaneously great and ridiculous this show does action scenes 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

The freeway chase was great. 

This ostensibly comedy series just featured one of the best action sequences in any piece of media that I've seen in a very, very long time.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 2

7 hours ago, Brick said:

I wonder if Fuches seeing that article is going to make him go after Gene because he'll think, "no, I saved Barry". 

That’s the thing, right? Fuches keeps finding peace on random farms, gets reminded of Barry, then bails. 

Also this last episode was quite good, but the public shootouts just hit different with recent events.