Dragon Quest XI Reviews (PC Orchestral mod out)

crispy4000

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

And I'll await your vague, nonspecific praise followed by radio silence of it once you stop playing 2 days after launch. :sun:

Not sure I follow. I don't really do that, maybe you're thinking of someone else?

I actually probably won't lay into this right off the bat. I'm at the end of Persona 5 and trying to finish that before all these releases hit. Given that I'll have just finished a 100 hour JRPG, I won't  be too keen on launching into another immediately after. I'm gonna play Spider-Man and Tomb Raider in between RPGs. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I mean it’s Dragon Quest. It’s always going to have the sane gameplay formula. So I don’t know what you’re expecting. 

Mostly for it to be a little less slow and just a smidge more exciting. I get that it follows a very "traditional" formula, but DQ8 for example takes a million years for anything of interest to happen, and it's all very basic stuff. Now I'm not saying make it trope-free, that's kind of the game's thing, but it's so PLODDING. Even Dragon Quest Builders seemed to have more excitement, and of course the Dragon Quest Heroes stuff. What little I've seen of this looks promising in that regard.

Also it looks like the battle speed is nowhere near as slow as it used to be. And they've moved away from the --in my opinion-- extremely lazy and boring to look at first-person battles!

To be clear, I've only earnestly played a couple Dragon Quest mainline titles. So at the very least my expectations are set for what the series provides.

And to be quite frank, I've found that my opinion on series or even individual games can change over time, often resulting in me enjoying them more or getting hooked in a way I wasn't previously, so I like giving them another shot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

All I'm saying is your posts are about as predictable as a Dragon Quest game. 

He almost always has comprehensive, specific criticisms, especially if challenged on his opinions. It’s a nice contrast to a lot of people who post pretty much the same thing for any new game that comes out. 

I would say he’s consistent in his bluntness, but I actually don’t have a great feel for what games he will like and not like. And when he does like something, I perk up, because he doesn’t just jump on the bandwagon of omg this game is awesome with every big release. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

He almost always has comprehensive, specific criticisms, especially if challenged on his opinions. It’s a nice contrast to a lot of people who post pretty much the same thing for any new game that comes out. 

I would say he’s consistent in his bluntness, but I actually don’t have a great feel for what games he will like and not like. And when he does like something, I perk up, because he doesn’t just jump on the bandwagon of omg this game is awesome with every big release. 

I'm glad you're such a huge fan and rush to his defense. 

Look, sometimes I agree with his opinions. But it's not some secret that he heavily criticizes almost every notable game that releases. It's like clockwork. And Dragon Quest? That's a series that stays the same at its core. It hasn't changed a whole lot in its 30 years. If he's played multiple titles and can't quite seem to like the series, then XI probably isn't going to change his mind. If he truly enjoys it, I'll be fairly surprised. But I have a fairly good idea how it'll play out, because it's basically the same thing with every notable game.

37 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm glad you're such a huge fan and rush to his defense. 

It grows really tiresome to converse with you when nothing in my post necessitates this response. 

He doesn’t need my defense. I just appreciate him and what he brings to the boards. 

I’ll keep to myself from here...

Just now, Paperclyp said:

It grows really tiresome to converse with you when nothing in my post necessitates this response. 

He doesn’t need my defense. I just appreciate him and what he brings to the boards. 

I’ll keep to myself from here...

I'm sorry if my sarcasm offended you. 

I had a decent chunk of text further explaining my thoughts in the same post, but whatevs. It just seemed weird that I said one sentence and here you are, giving him a glowing review. Seemed like you were rushing to his defense. I just said what I thought, but I gave a reasoned response to follow up in the same post.

Oh, well.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm sorry if my sarcasm offended you. 

I had a decent chunk of text further explaining my thoughts in the same post, but whatevs. It just seemed weird that I said one sentence and here you are, giving him a glowing review. Seemed like you were rushing to his defense. I just said what I thought, but I gave a reasoned response to follow up in the same post.

Oh, well.

Oh, well indeed. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Just like some people say yeah this game is awesome and it’s soooo fun..........he says the same things when criticizing games. Lol. Sooooo I wouldn’t say he brings excellent variety to the boards. 

Just now, Biggie said:

Just like some people say yeah this game is awesome and it’s soooo fun..........he says the same things when criticizing games. Lol. Sooooo I wouldn’t say he brings excellent variety to the boards. 

No, I truly disagree. He backs it up, especially if pushed. I don’t always agree with him, but I always appreciate his feedback. He’s a unique voice on the boards and D1P is better for it. 

I just dont think what you’re saying is true or helpful. 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Like I said, I'm sorry for offending you. But I had plenty else to say, you just ignored it because you were pissy over a little snark.

Sorry, I'm actually having a bad couple days. I guess a little of it leaked out into that one line. But it doesn't change my overall point. 

I didn’t ignore it. I took it and was fine with it. It was the attack of me that I took umbrage with. Frankly, I don’t know if it’s offensive to me, but as I said, it’s tiresome when I honestly just want to discuss shit. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

No, I truly disagree. He backs it up, especially if pushed. I don’t always agree with him, but I always appreciate his feedback. He’s a unique voice on the boards and D1P is better for it. 

I just dont think what you’re saying is true or helpful. 

Frames per second. PC version is superior in every way.  Console gamers enjoy being satisfied with sub par specs. Why would anyone accept anything other than 60 FPS and the best graphics money can buy? This is basically every thing about every game. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

I didn’t ignore it. I took it and was fine with it. It was the attack of me that I took umbrage with. Frankly, I don’t know if it’s offensive to me, but as I said, it’s tireseone when I honestly just want to discuss shit. 

Well, I have been discussing shit, too, so yeah. Like I said, I shouldn't have let my bad mood leak there. I'll apologize for that one. I could have handled it better. We can let this part drop now.

Xbob doesn't really offend me and I do appreciate some of his opinions. It's just almost a guarantee he's gonna be overly critical with about every new game. Sometimes it's just over the top, but it's always predictable. There's a reason why my initial post got the reactions it did. But talking about DQ specifically, I don't know what he expects from the series at this point. He should probably just give it up. DQ doesn't change a lot. And that's okay. Not every series needs a revolution. Didn't work out so well for Final Fantasy. DQ is like comfort food. It's reliable. It's classic. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Frames per second. PC version is superior in every way.  Console gamers enjoy being satisfied with sub par specs. Why would anyone accept anything other than 60 FPS and the best graphics money can buy? This is basically every thing about every game. 

I'd have to agree that's a huge chunk of his criticisms. 

7 hours ago, Biggie said:

Oh I'm happy to bring up these topics because I think people should ask for better. Console versions shouldn't have to run at poor frame rates, or should at least offer the option. But the bells and whistles are all that matter, I guess. Although I think it's an exaggeration to say that's even half of the games I talk about, let alone every one. If these topics are predictable, the pushback of apathy is as well. It's a tired circle we run in, but I believe we should have better whether people are apathetic or not.

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's just almost a guarantee he's gonna be overly critical with about every new game. Sometimes it's just over the top, but it's always predictable.

While I'm fine with the idea that my posts are predictable (I'm still the same person no matter which game I play, after all) I do take some umbrage at the notion that I'm overly critical. I'm critical of elements of games that are important to me. I am fully aware that what is important to me might not be as important (or important at all) to anyone else, but I'm giving my opinion, no one else's. I can't pretend things that bother me don't just so people think I'm being less critical. What's the point of giving our opinions if we can't be honest?

I really don't get why it seems to bother people so much. They're just my thoughts on games. And this is a forum for discussion. I don't think I've ever told people they can't or shouldn't enjoy games, although I do think people should demand better from the technical side even if they do enjoy what they have. Even if I hate Dragon Quest XI -- who cares? Why would that warrant mockery or jabs? Funny time jabs, maybe, but I always get the sense that these are made with at least a drop or two of disdain. I'm sorry my opinions are predictable?

16 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This long and intentionally weird review of DQ11 is all you need, enjoy! 

This review has convinced me that DQ11 is a great game that is not for me. I like the idea of a game as a way to chill out before bed and many of my favorite games fall into that category (Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, the parts of Life is Strange that don't make me cry), but I know that JRPG combat, while it may put me to sleep, won't make me rest easy. 

5 hours ago, Moa said:

This review has convinced me that DQ11 is a great game that is not for me. I like the idea of a game as a way to chill out before bed and many of my favorite games fall into that category (Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, the parts of Life is Strange that don't make me cry), but I know that JRPG combat, while it may put me to sleep, won't make me rest easy. 

But hey, the review was worth your time, right! :sun:

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But hey, the review was worth your time, right! :sun:

It was honestly very entertaining and focused more on what people like about the game and series rather than simply if it is good/bad. I feel like everytime a new hot jrpg comes out the reviews are hard to interpret since these games are not generally my thing, so I am not the target audience for the review. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

This long and intentionally weird review of DQ11 is all you need, enjoy! 

After watching 4 minutes of that review, I am convinced of 2 things:

1)  I never want to watch a review done by this guy

2)  I probably never want to play a Dragon Quest game

But I guess I will never know.

• Haha 1