Dragon Quest XI Reviews (PC Orchestral mod out)

crispy4000

I will probably be picking this up tomorrow and waiting on Spider-Man. I'm really hyped for Spider-Man but in all honesty it's another open world action game.

The thing I loved about JRPG's back in the day was that they were linear, but mostly everything you did had meaning. I'm so ready for just a plain old JRPG that doesn't make me think too much and tells me where to go and what to do.

Had some PC issues yesterday.  Any time I'd do anything on the internet I was getting this terrible jutter.  It was especially bad when downloading.  I ended up having to do a fresh install of Windows on my SSD, but it fixed it apparently.

Anyone know when the game will unlock?  I just finished the pre-load.

Played the first hour last night and got the first trophy. After an hour I can say the graphics look really good. The exploring is fun and finding things hidden everywhere makes me want check everywhere. I can tell I’m going to enjoy it and can’t wait to really explore the world tonight. Playing on the PS4pro by the way. 

Apparently Best Buy doesn't like money. First store I went to didn't have any physical copies and the second closest one only had three, which were gone by the time I got there. I didn't realize it was 2002 or else I would've reserved a copy. I don't really want to do digital cuz games like this are usually one and done for me. 

If my BB card wasn't literally the only card I could make a purchase with at the moment it wouldn't be such a problem. 

I'm frustrated.

I was going to pick up at copy at work today, but apparently Target didn't get any. No store in the greater Cincinnati area had any copies on hand, which I have never seen for a new release of this size. Instead of being patient and using my discount, I'm downloading it on PSN now. 

@Mr.Vic20 

Install on win2, launch it, set everything to low, set to 30fps, set display mode to full screen, exit. Edit ini file in its documents folder (documents/my games/dq11/saved config/windowsnoeditor/gameusersettings.ini - Change all graphics settings to 0, change screenpercentage to 45. Load up game, screen looks weird, select to exit game but then say no, screen will be normal. Do Not even looking in the screen percentage option in game, it will revert it to 65 which is no good. Play DQ11 at 30fps while taking a shit at work.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

@Mr.Vic20 

Install on win2, launch it, set everything to low, set to 30fps, set display mode to full screen, exit. Edit ini file in its documents folder (documents/my games/dq11/saved config/windowsnoeditor/gameusersettings.ini - Change all graphics settings to 0, change screenpercentage to 45. Load up game, screen looks weird, select to exit game but then say no, screen will be normal. Do Not even looking in the screen percentage option in game, it will revert it to 65 which is no good. Play DQ11 at 30fps while taking a shit at work.

My God, I didn't even consider that it was possible on the Win 2! Sweet! :sun:

• Like 1

Out of four Best Buys within a 30min driving area only one had the game, but it wasn't until 11:30am today that their inventory online went from None Available to Pick Up in Store.

GCU + $10 Reward Coupon so got it for about $40-ish.  Don't tell Best Buy this, but I would have paid full price for it.  ;)

Was only able to play it for 30min so far tonight because of the girlfriend wanting to watch TV, but now she is laying on the couch watching Primus videos on her phone... so... maybe I'll be a man and ask her if I can have the TV back, heh.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaethos said:

I think Steam takes longer to unlock a game than it takes me to download it. :frustrated:

They do! I stopped pre-loading a long time ago. With my connection even if it's 80-120GB it's still way faster to just download it. Yay for fast download speeds!

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Classic battle mode is so much better.  Just feels more dynamic and snappier with the camera cuts.

I might have preferred the active time one if you fought field enemies directly, rather than warping into a separate battle scene when you touched them.  As it stands, classic is better.

I’m going to try classic when I resume playing tonight. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I caved and downloaded it. It's so refreshing to play a JRPG that doesn't have its head up its ass with all the convoluted battle systems. Plus its damn pretty.

The reviews are like deja vue from 8. (I can’t believe how long ago 8 released now). 

Dragon Quest knows exactly what it is. I actually think the long ass kotaku review is the review to watch if you’re on the fence about the game. I’ve seen some critical reviews that like criticize the battle system but clearly do not have any knowledge about how it actually works. 

There was a time where I was on board with the idea that the jrpg trope of the chosen young kid who saves the world was getting old, but now I actually find the pointing out that that’s a trope is the more annoying trope lol. Yeah, I get it. The story is boiler plate jrpg bullshit. That’s what I want for once. 

27 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It’s straight forward and simple but in a good Dragon Quest way.  :) 

Like I said the other day, it's like comfort food. Not everything needs to change. It might be annoying if they released a mainline DQ yearly, but they don't. You know what you're getting every handful of years and it's great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

The reviews are like deja vue from 8. (I can’t believe how long ago 8 released now). 

Dragon Quest knows exactly what it is. I actually think the long ass kotaku review is the review to watch if you’re on the fence about the game. I’ve seen some critical reviews that like criticize the battle system but clearly do not have any knowledge about how it actually works. 

There was a time where I was on board with the idea that the jrpg trope of the chosen young kid who saves the world was getting old, but now I actually find the pointing out that that’s a trope is the more annoying trope lol. Yeah, I get it. The story is boiler plate jrpg bullshit. That’s what I want for once. 

Good JRPGs consoles have been few and far between on consoles since the HD-era began.  Even fewer that lean towards the traditional.  So it's to be expected that people are coming around to it.

That, and DQXI really knocks the presentation out of the park for what it aims for.

I hope this game does REALLY well in the U.S. so that hopefully... maybe... Squeenix will remove the stick from their anus and take Final Fantasy back to what made Final Fantasy great to begin with. 

I'm hoping that Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest XI will teach them something.

...but probably not.

EDIT: Also, whoever designed the Sabrecub and decided I had to kill it with a sword is a terrible human being.