Xenoblade 3 [July 29 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

On 6/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

So they fucked up the preorder. Very Nintendo

I'm still waiting for MH Rise Sunbreak amiibo that were supposed to come out a month ago. It's truly mind boggling how such a large company can be so trash at absolutely everything PR related.

If the quality of their games ever takes a dive they're so screwed.

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I kinda forgot about this. Please forgive me if this was asked already, but do you need to have played the other Xenoblades to understand and appreciate part 3?

pretty sure the answer is no. Thought I read or saw a video saying there might be a reference or two to the previous games, but honestly all there Xeno games have been more or less self contained with links to the others but knowledge of them isn't necessary 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

pretty sure the answer is no. Thought I read or saw a video saying there might be a reference or two to the previous games, but honestly all there Xeno games have been more or less self contained with links to the others but knowledge of them isn't necessary 

I'm pretty positive I'm getting this then. I need to dust off my Switch and try it out. 

Thanks

36 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I kinda forgot about this. Please forgive me if this was asked already, but do you need to have played the other Xenoblades to understand and appreciate part 3?

I'll break it down...

Xenoblade 2 references the final hours of Xenoblade 1.  You'll appreciate the nod if you've played the first.  But it still makes sense within Xenoblade 2 itself, unlike say, FF7 Remake, which assumes you're familiar with prior lore.

Xenoblade 2 will make the end of Xenoblade 1 less impactful.  So from a story perspective, if you'd ever play 1, I would not beat 2 first.

Xenoblade 3 it built off the remnants of the first two games in some form, including their landmasses.  It could spoil twists in either or both previous games, but should have a similarly self contained story arc.

All said, I'd at least beat 1 first, so you can know some of the references.  And be okay with 3 spoiling 2's final hours if you skip it.

• Thanks 1

Not bad.  Seems like some outliers don't like the story and characters, while others really did.  Sidequests are better.

This is such a huge game from the sound of it, 100+ hours, I can't imagine every reviewer finished it.

Gamespot: Of course, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 has its fair share of plot twists as well. I won't spoil them here, but some are fantastic and recontextualize the entire series.

Euogamer: That number in the title seems off-putting and perhaps even a tad unwise; Xenoblade Chronicles 3 works effectively as a standalone entry, the deeper links to the preceding games not coming until well into this epic adventure (and well beyond the point I'm able to talk about in this review).

Story connections sound like it'll be akin to 2.

I'm unsure of how many reviewers out there are big fans of the series, but I hope most of the people reviewing it are. Only mentioning this because if you listen to Giant Bomb like no one on there have any type of reverence for this game. It's one you're going to have to listen to the fans, for better or worse, imo.

Meanwhile someone like this guy eats and breathes these games every week

Game Information

Game Title: Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Jul 29, 2022)

Trailer:

Developer: MONOLITHSOFT

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 87 average - 94% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5

Taken by itself, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a spectacular example of an epic JRPG. Yes, the combat system is a little too overcooked for its own good, but the developer holds your hand nicely so that by the 40th hour the explosion of numbers, flashy attacks, and intertwined systems somehow makes sense. Aside from that, though, it’s a game that, for its size, is one of elegance and maturity. And that’s when you take it by itself. Philosophical, humorous, emotional, dramatic and always entertaining, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is going to be better remembered not for being its own entity, but rather like the third chapter in any great trilogy; as the perfect escalation of over a decade of storytelling to an enormously satisfying and appropriately epic conclusion.

Nintendo Insider - 10 / 10

What Monolith Soft has achieved with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 went far beyond my expectations. The developer’s masterful approach to character development and world-building results in an unforgettable adventure that is set in a world that is just as remarkable to explore. It is the emotional storytelling that makes it an unmissable journey that’s worth undertaking, elevating the experience to not only be considered as a Game of the Year contender but an all-time classic that will be remembered for decades to come.

RPG Site - 10 / 10

Between an exceptionally well-written cast, a deeply satisfying combat system, and an amazing adventure that remarkably earns its very long run time, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a JRPG masterpiece.

Screen Rant - 5 / 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 collects, iterates, and perfects JRPG mechanics.

TheGamer - 5 / 5

Monolith Soft has crafted a JRPG that is so colossal yet also intricately focused. It delivers an experience that iterates upon everything its predecessors managed to achieve, resulting in a masterpiece that I am utterly enraptured by. Part of me feels like I’m still stewing in a cauldron of hyperbole, but in terms of characters, themes, and a world that I never want to leave behind - this is the series at its very best, and I can’t wait to see where it goes next.

VGC - 5 / 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 delivers a massive world, and more than enough story and character to fill it, combined with the series’ most reactive combat system to date. While certainly a monster commitment, Aionios is an incredible place to live for a month or two.

Atomix - Spanish - 98 / 100

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is such a memorable RPG, one of the best in history actually. Monolith Soft has demonstrate its true talent creating a complex and satisfying adventure that would live in our memories for a very long time.

AusGamers - 9.5 / 10

Like any ongoing series, it's enhanced if you're well versed in all of the verses, but as a first-time Xeno Chron, I say… jump on in.

Destructoid - 9.5 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 didn’t need to do a whole lot to keep me invested, as I was all-in very early on. The cast, the weight of the story, and the freedom of party composition are the power trio that won me over.

Geeks & Com - French - 9.5 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 delivers an epic journey with great characters, an amazing story and refined combats that make it the greatest of the series. You will lose dozens of hours exploring its humongous world and despite too many long loading screens in the second half of the game, it's definitely a Nintendo Switch must play.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.4 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a masterpiece, and I'm not one who uses the term lightly. It has a magnetic storyline, is held up by an accomplished cast, and the audio-visual presentation literally rocks, showcasing how far you can actually push the Switch. If you love Japanese role-playing games, you must have far greater problems than those afflicting Aionios to pass it up.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 93 / 100

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 combines all the good things from previous games into one colossal, complex and (almost) infinite JRPG that we aren't going to forget anytime soon.

Cerealkillerz - German - 9.1 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is imposing, takes itself seriously and is simply fun. The story stands on its own and is therefore also very suitable for newcomers. The characters grow on you and are surprisingly realistic. There are tons of activities and completionists will again have over 100 hours to look forward to. Everyone else will enjoy what might be the best role-playing game for the Switch this year.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.1 / 10

While not reinventing the genre, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 stands out as one of its most valuable exponents-a truly remarkable game.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9.1 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the pinnacle of more than twenty years making extraordinary JRPGS from Monolith Soft. Not even Switch hardware limitations could restrain tetsuya Takahashi's vision. Long live this way of making games, long live Monolith Soft.

Video Chums - 9.1 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 continues the series' grand-scale story-telling in a masterful way. With its endearing cast of characters, awe-inspiring sense of exploration, and a soundtrack that will blow you away, this is yet another top-notch offering from Monolith Soft.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is an exemplary JRPG on the Nintendo Switch, improving on the already great titles that came out before it while still welcoming newcomers.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 takes the best elements from its predecessors and combines them into a uniquely compelling gameplay experience, all while telling a nuanced and captivating narrative of its own. Its beautiful and stylistic art direction lends a rare maturity to its visual presentation, while its heartfelt, melancholic story comes together in an epic, personal conclusion in spite of a couple of odd pacing decisions. Through a complex and refined reimagining of the Xenoblade combat system and top-notch worldbuilding, Monolith Soft have once again cemented their position at the forefront of the JRPG genre. Series veterans and newcomers alike are in for a deep, immersive narrative adventure with dozens of hours of engaging combat and satisfying exploration.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 changes things up in a good way, offering a twist on the most unique combat out there. It's lengthy, engaging, warm, and probably the best RPG of the year. The best one yet, for sure.

LevelUp - Spanish - 9 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a versatile JRPG with a deep combat system; a challenge in his own right, without being frustrating. A technical marvel with beautiful landscapes, that will make you get lost in the ecosystems of Aionios while being immersed in the story and his characters. Monolith Soft's most ambitious game to date; a must have for Nintendo Switch owners and JRPGs enthusiasts.

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

Another major success for Monolith Soft; Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a contender for the Nintendo Switch's best role-playing game and one of its most impressive technical achievements.

NintendoWorldReport - 9 / 10

Regardless of how you came to Xenoblade, either through one of many incarnations of the original, or through its sequel, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 strives to satiate all audiences and it is largely successful in this endeavor while also presenting something entirely new. This is not just Xenoblade meets Xenoblade 2. In many ways it is greater than the sum of its parts and those parts already added up to quite a bit.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Between a compelling story, beautiful music, and deep combat system, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is an awesome adventure for longtime fans and newcomers alike.

Siliconera - 9 / 10

While it's unlikely to transcend genre preferences, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a gift for those who love JRPG trappings. There are lands to explore, combat systems to optimize, and lore implications for longtime franchise fans. And at the very least? You certainly get your money's worth.

The Independent - 9 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the strongest entry into the series yet, while simultaneously managing to bridge the themes and mechanics of the first two games in a meaningful way. Even after the credits roll close to the 60-hour mark, each of the character’s personal journeys are fulfilling and memorable, while contending with heavier subject matter than the series has been known for.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is another impressive and entertaining RPG experience from Monolith Soft. Its ever-deepening mystery plays out across one of the most beautiful fantasy landscapes of recent years, while its approach to party building and classes means that the experience continually evolves. For a game that asks questions about how you spend your time, you won't want Xenoblade Chronicles 3 to finish.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is an absolute must-buy for Switch owners who are looking to pick up their next game. No matter if you’re a longtime fan of the franchise or a first-timer, this game is one of the best RPGs on the Switch that can easily last hundreds of hours for players who never want to leave the world of Aionios.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

It's not perfect, but Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a confident sequel that's best-in-class in the ways that matter most. Your favourite bits of the first two games are here, cherry-picked and placed into a narrative with a tasteful balance of earnest ideas and anime bullshit.

GamePro - German - 86 / 100

Brilliant action role-playing game with a bombastic, but also excessive film part. The insane number of possibilities in battle can be overwhelming.

Dexerto - 8.5 / 10

Small foibles aside, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 might just be the Switch’s prettiest and grandest game of 2022. With a deep combat system and surprisingly effective story, along with quality of life improvements over the prior game, it’s a true spectacle whether you’re playing in handheld mode or docked. It really is a must-buy for JRPG fans.

COGconnected - 80 / 100

This review might seem short, especially for such a gigantic game. There’s just so much I can’t disclose. Bits of the combat and the mechanics of course, but mainly the story. It’s just much better if you experience these things yourself. I will say that this story manages to be both relatable and enormous. You want – almost desperately – to see how this thing shakes out. I wish the combat wasn’t so sluggish at times. It almost obstructs the narrative, having to wade through these disconnected battles. But the quest system is engaging, and the battles do eventually make sense. The writing is great, and the voice acting is getting better with every game. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a gigantic, epic adventure. It’s also bloated, hyperactive, and easily distracted. It’s beautiful but flat, it’s weird yet familiar. If you’re looking for a massive new JRPG, the latest Xenoblade game is here for you.

ComicBook.com - 4 / 5

While I've joked while playing that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was a great series of cutscenes with some fighting in between, the game gets away with its glut of cutaways because the story is quite good. Sure, people can see some of the twists coming from a mile away, but the core mystery is so intriguing and weird that you really want to keep playing to figure out just what the heck is going on.

Daily Mirror - 4 / 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is an amazing entry into the already wonderful series. It reaches a new standard of storytelling, combat and customisation within the Xeno series

There are a few technical mishaps here and there but not enough to dampen the overall experience. JRPG fans can’t miss this stellar adventure that’s one for the ages.

Daily Star - 4 / 5

It may be too overwhelming for some, and the length of the game may put others off.

But RPG fans are going to love it and the Switch can now boast of a cracking new title in this genre.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 might be too frustrating for some, but its worth fighting through tedious systems for the RPG's stellar storytelling.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is another heartfelt adventure paired with some of the best combat in the series.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a satisfying conclusion to the two previous games. It's a game you devor like an exciting novel, you constantly want to come back, have more. Carried by a mature and captivating scenario, an artistic direction super effective and a refined and complex combat system, the license seems to have finally found its winning formula.

IGN - 8 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 can take some meandering detours across its massive 150-hour campaign, but great characters and addictive tactical combat make it all well worth the time.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is another great entry in the long-running series. Combat is complex, but well enough explained to readily understand and feels fantastic to play with. It has interesting characters, an intriguing world and an engrossing storyline that had me always wondering what was going to happen next. Whether you're new to the series or a veteran, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is stylish, intriguing, super fun, and well worth checking out for RPG fans.

Stevivor - 8 / 10

My time with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was overwhelmingly positive. I’ve clocked a hundred hours at this stage, with the main story completed and PLENTY of side content still to go. If you want a big, meaty RPG to dedicate plenty of time, this game’s the one. But remember, soldiers only have ten years on the battlefield – and you might need that whole decade to see everything Aionios has to offer.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a great action RPG with an outstanding story. The characters are likeable with engaging arcs, while the cut scenes offer jaw-dropping spectacle.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 7.5 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is easily one of the best JRPGs of 2022, even though it comes with some serious issues, which the hardware may be to blame for.

Game Informer - 7.3 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a double-edged sword that needs a bit more sharpening.

PCMag - 3.5 / 5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a massive JRPG with a unique story and deep combat that's tempered by all-too-familiar gameplay mechanics.

Post Arcade (National Post) - 7 / 10

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 earns a modest thumbs up. It’s undeniably huge, delivering good bang for your RPG dollar, and has some interesting ideas on its mind. It’s no Final Fantasy or Zelda, but fans of sophisticated combat and Japanese storytelling should be well served.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Console Creatures - Recommended

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 delivers one of the best games the series has ever offered to players and thrusts you into a volatile world paired filled with excellent writing and characters.

Eurogamer - Essential

Monolith Soft closes out its loosely connected trilogy of epic RPGs with its most adaptable, malleable and high-spirited adventure yet.

GameXplain - Loved

Video Review - Quote not available

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

It delivers a story its creators have been building toward for years: A story about a boy who meets a girl, who then find their own path and, with it, the poise to walk on — in an endless sea, under the boundless sky. And that is no small thing.

Unboxholics - Greek - Worth your time

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a journey of epic proportions and scale that reminded me of these experiences that are great and epic in terms of ambitions. Sometimes it can be melodramatic and talkative in an old fashioned way but that sense of grandeur is all that matters. With a rich narrative in terms of ideas, concepts and twists along the way, you'll find that the heart of it is in its characters. If you're a JRPG fan this is the game that you must play.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Xenoblade 3 [July 29 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted
7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm unsure of how many reviewers out there are big fans of the series, but I hope most of the people reviewing it are. Only mentioning this because if you listen to Giant Bomb like no one on there have any type of reverence for this game. It's one you're going to have to listen to the fans, for better or worse, imo.

Meanwhile someone like this guy eats and breathes these games every week

You almost HAVE TO BE! Reviewing a driving game when hating / dislike driving games makes no sense. I feel you have to have grown up with these just massive in scope   games to even know what really been accomplished. I can't wait for this title on switch, it will take me the rest of the year to finish and that is fine with me. just a few more days!

Also installed 2 of my most favorite games ever on my Steam Deck {Skyrim & Fallout 4}. Pretty excited to play these off and one throughout the next 6 months. I have ran into just 2 games that wouldn't work at all on the SD and that was HD poker and Renegade OPs. Neither would even boot and were uninstalled. 

Some pretty awesome tech to be a gamer!

2 minutes ago, nublood said:

Dang, I kinda want this now. I haven’t turned on the ol’ Switch in ages. Will I be lost if this is my first Xeno game?

The stories aren't directly related but there's really no reason to start with 3. 1 & 2 are both on switch and you can get 1 for like $20-30

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HardAct said:

You almost HAVE TO BE! Reviewing a driving game when hating / dislike driving games makes no sense.

Yet IGN gives games to people who have dislike or have no love for the series all the time. Which is why it came to mind (other than the GB part).

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yet IGN gives games to people who have dislike or have no love for the series all the time. Which is why it came to mind (other than the GB part).

Yea IGN is a Like/Hate site, especially in the last 5 or so years. I HEAR YA! . There are so many more reputable video game reviews options out there. A game like XBC3 though deserves an HONEST fan of the series, like the Digital Foundry review.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Isn't that just a technical analysis of how it plays not an actual review of the content?

Yea got mixed up. This is the review I was referring to. This guy covers ever angle but I also kind'a had it on as background noise. I told myself I wouldn't watch anything on it and I have broken down a bit in the home stretch DAMN IT! He did a great job of not spoiling anything though that I noticed while really giving the feeling of a fan while not avoiding issues as he experienced them. This game is going to take me so long to get through, I'm liking what I heard, and pretty excited to jump in and see this console being pushed to it's absolute limits. I'm ready for a New Switch though Nintendo, it's about time. I'm ready in heart and mind as our wallet has taken a beating in the last 2 months!!

• True 1

Yeah ACG usually does a better job of breaking down games into their components than a lot of other outlets. Plus if he thinks something is bullshit, he doesn't hesitate to say so. There are games that he's liked that he's totally ripped apart.

That said, this game is looking pretty damn good. I'm soooo tempted to get my hands on it but I know I won't play it. My backlog is atrocious.

This is usually the part where I say "I'll hold off on this and by the time I'm ready for it I should be able to get it on sale" but it's Nintendo so.....

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

This is usually the part where I say "I'll hold off on this and by the time I'm ready for it I should be able to get it on sale" but it's Nintendo so.....

Xenoblade 2, which was released within the first year of the Switch, is still $59.99 :sickos:

• True 1

I'm torn. I could go for a good ARPG right now but I thought the first game sucked (combat was crazy boring imho).

2 was really good until about 3/4 of the way through, then it really wore out its welcome because you use the same "strategy" for every boss.

If this were something I could pick up for $30 a year from now that would be an easy choice but obviously that's not going to happen