Let's check in on how the Democratic midterms planning is going.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I like the vibes and politics of fetterman but lt gov is won with the governor on the same ticket and connor performed just as well if not better than Biden in his district. 

I'm not a fan of Carville really but are we saying he's not allowed to support people?  The choice between lamb and fetterman isn't obvious here. 

Carville shouldn’t support anyone because he’s overrated.

His main success was getting someone elected after 12 years of Republican dominance with 40 something percent of the vote. He has no long term vision for the party. He didn’t understand the 50 state strategy that got Democrats power all over the country, and when democrats reverted to not doing that, they lost the 2010 elections which has had massive ramifications to this day.

It should be good that he is supporting someone so people know to do the opposite.

2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I'm not a fan of Carville really but are we saying he's not allowed to support people?  The choice between lamb and fetterman isn't obvious here. 

My post is a direct reaction to some of the posts of Jason’s. Not saying either is right Here but it’s not so simple as lamb bad

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

His main success was getting someone elected after 12 years of Republican dominance with 40 something percent of the vote. He has no long term vision for the party. He didn’t understand the 50 state strategy that got Democrats power all over the country, and when democrats reverted to not doing that, they lost the 2010 elections which has had massive ramifications to this day.

It should be good that he is supporting someone so people know to do the opposite.

AND he married Mary Matalin!

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Exactly. Carville has terrible political instincts, as does the entire national level Democratic Senate candidate recruitment apparatus. 

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Jason said:

No idea why McMullin is going Independent instead of just running as a Republican. He's a traditional conservative through and through. And while he does have a pretty large base of support here from 2016, I think being endorsed by the Democratic party is just going to hurt him with his base. I registered as a Republican so that I can vote in the GOP primary (can still vote in the Dem one as it's open). I'd like to vote for McMullin there in the primary to get him on the ballot instead of having him go against Lee on the November ballot. I mean, I'll definitely vote for whoever has the best shot of taking down Lee, I just wish it could be done before the election.

The opening paragraphs of that Atlantic article talk about when Lee spoke at a rally for Trump in Arizona. At the rally, Lee compared Trump to a character named Captain Moroni in The Book of Mormon. That offended a lot of the McMullin supporter types. That character is typically held up as an example of bravery and virtue. The Book of Mormon says of him

"... if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men."

Mike Lee said of Trump:

“To my Mormon friends, my Latter-day Saint friends, think of him as Captain Moroni,” Lee bellowed, pointing to the president. “He seeks not power, but to pull it down. He seeks not the praise of the world or the fake news, but he seeks the well-being and the peace of the American people.”

I actually think the comparison is quite an apt one. But not for the reasons Lee stated. Moroni in the Book of Mormon is a Fascist. The character is held up as a fighter for religious liberty. Because he fights for that or whatever. People always seem to forget the part, though, where he forced people to fight for him and for his religion. And anybody that didn't was put to death.

Ammon and Cliven Bundy use that character in their imagery and discourse quite a bit.

Captain Moroni even showed up to the January 6th riots! He was arrested and charged.

spacer.png

Anyways. Veered off topic as I always do when Mormon shit pokes its head in the chat. I don't think McMullin will succeed as an Independent. While many conservatives in the state were Trump-averse in 2016, that attitude seems to have shifted from what I can observe anecdotally. As the GOP apparatus is loyal to Trump, Utah conservatives are loyal to the GOP above all at this point.

10 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

No idea why McMullin is going Independent instead of just running as a Republican.

McMuffin claims he won't caucus with either party, which I suppose is the main reason the Utah Democrats are willing to back him.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

McMuffin claims he won't caucus with either party, which I suppose is the main reason the Utah Democrats are willing to back him.

Yeah. But that's another reason that GOP voters won't go for him if he's independent. If he doesn't caucus with a party then he won't be on any committees and will be comparatively useless.

21 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

If he doesn't caucus with a party then he won't be on any committees and will be comparatively useless.

Doesn't seem to stop them from electing people like Marge and Boobert who think their jobs are just to shitpost on Twitter. :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...
f282f11af1ed1568bc0fca945345b053.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

WASHINGTON—In a shocking revelation that alleged the party would receive money in exchange for taking a dive, a bombshell report released Tuesday by the Brookings Institution found that Democrats were conspiring with their bookie to deliberately throw the 2022 midterms. “The evidence appears increasingly clear that…

• Haha 2
  • True 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I certainly hope it hands it to Dems. I mean, they won it even in 2014, so this isn't a seat that's out of reach at all, but I hope he really is Christine O'Donnell/Sarah Palin/Roy Moore/those two idiots in 2012 who talked about rape stupidly levels of toxic so they can focus on other competitive elections.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Bill deblasio theory of politics

I can’t tell if the tweet and replies are making fun of this or speaking ironically, but I am pretty sure this is legit. 

Dukakis wearing an oversized helmet and being 1/3 the size of Bush I’m pretty sure didn’t help the dude in 1988.

21 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I can’t tell if the tweet and replies are making fun of this or speaking ironically, but I am pretty sure this is legit. 

Dukakis wearing an oversized helmet and being 1/3 the size of Bush I’m pretty sure didn’t help the dude in 1988.

I’m 100% serious and if we can get a former nfl player with good politics to run we should. Celebrity + big dude = success

its also why I see the rock winning 400 EVs