I think my video card died? But I am also an idiot. Help?

Paperclyp

Was playing some games last night on my PC - went upstairs for a minute, came back down, no video display. Forgive me for the next few paragraphs because I truly don't have a great grasp on the technical lingo, but hopefully it will make sense: 

A similar issue had happened before and it seemed maybe like an HDMI handshake issue or something, a few unplugs and plug back ins / rebooting would fix it. This time nothing. Tried a different display monitor, nothing. Moved my HDMI output to the ? motherboard I assume - OK great, I'm back in business. I didn't realize that when you don't output from the card, you don't get said benefits of the card. So booted a game and boy did that not work. So I realized OK this is a card issue. 

This morning I swapped the card to a different slot on the motherboard. That did not work. 

I did do a physical inspection (obv very rudimentary like hey is there a fucking piece hanging off this thing since I don't know really what I'm looking for). As far as I can tell it's right as rain. 

I know "well maybe it's the power supply" is a thing people say, but as far as I can tell that is working just fine. 

The odd thing to me is that my AMD radeon software will not come up when I am outputting video through my motherboard. My theory there is I guess there must be storage on the card itself and that's where it's coming from. I tried to go to the AMD site and download updated drivers manually, but when it does that it's like "hey you don't have any AMD shit on your computer." 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I looked up some video card prices and am in denial that it's busted. Unfortunately I do not have another card I can swap it with to see if that works. 

If the diagnosis is a dead video card, any help / advice on a new one based on my current parts would be greatly appreciated, but I guess I'll cross that bridge if I get there. This is a bummer.

OK, if you are back in business using your iGPU then I would recommend going to device manager and looking at your discrete GPU there. If your GPU is indeed damaged then you will likely still see its driver listed under GPUs but with an exclamation point over it. Can you confirm that? 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, if you are back in business using your iGPU then I would recommend going to device manager and looking at your discrete GPU there. If your GPU is indeed damaged then you will likely still see its driver listed under GPUs but with an exclamation point over it. Can you confirm that? 

What category would that be under? It’s almost like it no longer exists.

Display adapters only shows my intel graphics 4600. There’s a few AMD stuff under system devices but no issues with them and it’s like AMD crash defender, AMD link controller emulation, and AMDA00 Interface.

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

What category would that be under? It’s almost like it no longer exists.

Display adapters only shows my intel graphics 4600. There’s a few AMD stuff under system devices but no issues with them and it’s like AMD crash defender, AMD link controller emulation, and AMDA00 Interface.

Yeah, if the GPU is not showing up in any capacity under device manager, and you've powered off, removed the card, reseated it in a new slot, and powered on and it still doesn't show in device manager? She's likely dead Jim... 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, if the GPU is not showing up in any capacity under device manager, and you've powered off, removed the card, reseated it in a new slot, and powered on and it still doesn't show in device manager? She's likely dead Jim... 

Christ! It’s like 6.5 years old. Doesn’t seem like I got my money’s worth…

Cripes. So is it even worth looking at cards right now or are they absurdly inflated??

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Christ! It’s like 6.5 years old. Doesn’t seem like I got my money’s worth…

Cripes. So is it even worth looking at cards right now or are they absurdly inflated??

Unfortunately I would recommend trying to find a console to game on until these shortages righten themselves because even if you can find a card, I think the cheapest I've seen starts at 500+ 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

@Mr.Vic20 thank you much for your help. Some very fast research shows me there’s at least a little hope for prices to drop a little this year. I’ll keep an eye out. 

Absolutely no promises, but I'll ask around to see if anyone I know has a spare GPU. This is unlikely, but again, I'll check sir! 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Absolutely no promises, but I'll ask around to see if anyone I know has a spare GPU. This is unlikely, but again, I'll check sir! 

Oh don’t go to too much trouble. If push comes to shove I can make something work. My prior card was Sapphire 11241-00-20G RADEON R9 390X TRI-X 8GB GDDR5, if my sku search is accurate. 

28 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

hey my buddy is saying like a $300 1070 used card might be worth it to just bridge the gap while the market normalizes (lol). What do you think about that? Or anyone…

Which one did you have in mind?

Personally I'm not price savvy on these things, but it seems like the 1070 retailed a bit above that price new so in the grand scheme of things seems like not a great deal but the price is so over the place on these cards it could be an ok deal. I might just wait to see what @Mr.Vic20 sniffs out. He seems to have a knack of finding things. 🤔

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Oh don’t go to too much trouble. If push comes to shove I can make something work. My prior card was Sapphire 11241-00-20G RADEON R9 390X TRI-X 8GB GDDR5, if my sku search is accurate. 

I have the same card. 👀 

Honestly, never been happy with it since I got it. I listened to some big AMD fan on here and have regretted it since. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Which one did you have in mind?

Personally I'm not price savvy on these things, but it seems like the 1070 retailed a bit above that price new so in the grand scheme of things seems like not a great deal but the price is so over the place on these cards it could be an ok deal. I might just wait to see what @Mr.Vic20 sniffs out. He seems to have a knack of finding things. 🤔

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154612633985?epid=233753822&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item23ffa19181:g:A88AAOSwNjdhnpzr&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsStEKTPzZMfQmny3knR97t0EBHBhehQwYNL%2F%2FUy3dLzhW71ndh%2FJumf9WUYbwppq0fiYqPbTjQLmzbzBYKLSWoPH5EiPQVP8B03AGLXHKiz%2FN%2B6Gp76mBkjUxv6h%2BhDbPtsqCofaXYXToh2XyHoT4EI%2B%2FxPu8DXaGKB6OjfQ51kS29Ac126V7NKxbyeXR%2Ftfvurove7qdXUBlWtXIk79C7sj1GcW8aYQ6dcRB%2F9lVDPENTpaNb0Oz1NB3gF1tVwYJ%2FcRdAEbxHFKysy8gwR1jSXyBTnmIGVROl%2FbkQTgwq64p3M%2BqCHJDFv6jQJP0sC7Chy1X7yQNkax6j%2BLhWiC53U7n1oCHhQDZ2qVM1o8i8TKupFsiWlO5rvA7lCug7Iw%2BvXRmRYPje8LUHqFBnsBOqaVzZDvaQdDYM%2BniuH7O85dp4Ki5tlilYNoI3OyFYRc3FIx70rsh8%2BQLTd6HvbCcvhaAmd%2Bt45KeKLp3in1cfA6cFhnjeRcjzpG1uf3IDgaSICqsXetxFbt4ryzCNsX16oFZFIr5imqrPSHCXZxHT%2FJ4UUPYXbWuQMlAlVcNQ%2BB2QTNBpjgSDx8Magt29CHOV%2FQFcqziEbD9hnJXbl4Zi5SvQRhWYU412dJX7csM4bMSF4uhXP22BoLwNNyvHwgihNV2I7gtF1HJLViCMOGIqz3cy83ydtwLjbOmZKgGCRrj06h7s4Vx9F8enW1D%2B7OFqND5TQXbntrmJDx%2FIcEVCbWriZfX0YALbyCd2nfCHBFoIH8IaC6PiFuw3d%2BaMlXMCelwKe94fRIS25QFyybEfDU8BMblkyEdin5ZLR8Ka4sPv|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBM7JXf-Nlf

Wow sorry for the massive link lol. 

Closer to $400. Damn.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Honestly, never been happy with it since I got it. I listened to some big AMD fan on here and have regretted it since. 

Yeah I've had like 2 AMD cards before and at least one of them has pooped out on me. The 1080 Mr. Vic gave me and my 2080ti have yet do that. :p

knock lisa kudrow GIF by The Comeback HBO

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I have the same card. 👀 

I assume it was the same guy who helped me lol. Giants fan I remember, can't remember his user name though he used to be a frequent / regular poster. He was very helpful though and I really had no issues with the card until now, it seemed to work quite well for me. 

54 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

@Mr.Vic20 hey my buddy is saying like a $300 1070 used card might be worth it to just bridge the gap while the market normalizes (lol). What do you think about that? Or anyone…

@Keyser_Soze

I think that very much depends on what you play the most and on what kind of monitor. If you can live with 1080p and are looking to play the latest games, then I think that's "good" solution relative to the current circumstance. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I think that very much depends on what you play the most and on what kind of monitor. If you can live with 1080p and are looking to play the latest games, then I think that's "good" solution relative to the current circumstance. 

I've been a peasant anyway and I have a 1080 monitor (pry time for an upgrade). I realize everything is couched in "everything is weird right now." 

40 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I assume it was the same guy who helped me lol. Giants fan I remember, can't remember his user name though he used to be a frequent / regular poster. He was very helpful though and I really had no issues with the card until now, it seemed to work quite well for me. 

That's him!

angry pitchfork GIF by South Park

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You never said what your dead card is but it seems to be on par with what you were looking at. Maybe @Mr.Vic20 could chime in.

Also I think it came out this year.

It looks in the ballpark of what I have, probably a little more powerful / about on par with a 1070, but with half the RAM of my current one? But much faster RAM. These are the details that vex me.

I am guessing anything relatively in the ballpark of what I had will frankly do me pretty well as I am not really running anything high end anyway. I want to play FF14 and a few select games, almost entirely older games or stuff like Valheim or indie titles. 

8 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It looks in the ballpark of what I have, probably a little more powerful / about on par with a 1070, but with half the RAM of my current one? But much faster RAM. These are the details that vex me.

That's what I came away from it as well. :p  But like you said I think it should be fine for what you want to run.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I am guessing anything relatively in the ballpark of what I had will frankly do me pretty well as I am not really running anything high end anyway. I want to play FF14 and a few select games, almost entirely older games or stuff like Valheim or indie titles. 

Looking at PassMark it seems like the R9 Fury X is SLIGHTLY better but we're talking about like 3%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

@Paperclyp , unfortunately all my folks are tapped out. Seems with prices being what they are, people have sold even their back up GPUs. Crazy times! Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

That is absolutely cool, I appreciate you for even trying.

I'm going to try my hand at that best buy card @Keyser_Soze found, and I will just see how that does for now. If I get another couple years off that for what I need it to do, I will be ready for a more comprehensive rebuild by then. 

If the new consoles would actually release software worth a hoot I probably wouldn't be so PC centric right now anyway.