Moving sucks

Fizzzzle

The person who was going to take my bed backed out at the last second (of course), the person who's paying for my kegerator is now saying I have to deliver it to them (of course), and I don't have time to find alternatives, so now I have to rent a U-Haul and fit that into the schedule, or else just pay a junk removal company like $700 to take care of it and also it has to be done in the next 2 days while I'm working.

At this point I regret owning anything.

• Sad 1

I've been smoking a lot. Almost a pack a day. I'm stressed the fuck out.

I understand why I scheduled the move weeks in advance for the benefit of my job and logistics, but Jesus I haven't had a good night's sleep in a while and it seems like it's coming down to the wire regardless of the preparations I made.

Also my little brother just sent me a message that was like "why not move to Scotland?" I was like "you've never had to deal with work visas." Turns out because of Brexit they had to deport all of the EU nationals, and that has hit the service industry particularly hard. It's almost like Brexit was a half baked idea.

I need to fly to New Mexico in a month or so to help my mother in law get her house packed up in a Uhaul. She is already stressing about selling stuff and she hasn’t even started 😂

8 hours ago, Biggie said:

Are you getting ready to move to New Orleans?

Yeah. Leaving on Tuesday afternoon.

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Sounds freeing.

It is. It's amazing how much having things holds you hostage. Now I'm moving and I'm like maybe I'll stay there, maybe I won't. Outside of my PC everything I own now fits in a duffle bag and a back pack.

I got my dad to help me out and we got a U-Haul and picked up my shit, he was like "this works out, I have Few things to throw away, too." We got to his place.. it was over a thousand pounds of rotting wood.

The day turned from "my dad helping me out" to "I got conned into moving a thousand pounds of wood" real fast.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

Damn, somehow missed the thread that you're moving, Fizzzzle. This will make our meetup much more difficult. :p

I MESSAGED YOU MONTHS AGO.

Also, I made bad decisions. I slept in yesterday, so by the time I woke up I didn't have enough time to go to the shipping supply store, then I went to dinner, then I went out with my friends for a last hurrah, then I didn't get home until after 3am, then I was like "I should really do laundry before I go, also I want to take one of those "fuck the environment" showers before I travel and then spend the next 5 days in a hostel, then I was like by the time I do all of that it's going to be 5am and I have to be up at 8 to take care of the things I should have done yesterday. So... I guess we're just staying up all night.

I kind of feel like I pull all-nighters or something close to it the night before pretty much every time I travel.

I'm ready to go, but it's just like last minute shit that I should have done yesterday, like there's a couple rooms that need a vacuum, laundry (of the clothes I have left anyway), putting my PC stuff in a box so I can drop it off at my dad's house, etc. Nothing that takes a long time, I just spent yesterday doing approximately none of it.

I've had plenty of warning and most of the stuff is done outside of last minute things that I, well... left until the last minute.

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm ready to go, but it's just like last minute shit that I should have done yesterday, like there's a couple rooms that need a vacuum, laundry (of the clothes I have left anyway), putting my PC stuff in a box so I can drop it off at my dad's house, etc. Nothing that takes a long time, I just spent yesterday doing approximately none of it.

I've had plenty of warning and most of the stuff is done outside of last minute things that I, well... left until the last minute.

Good luck, man. Takes balls in what you're doing.

2 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I once moved to a different part of Canada for a couple years. And as you know I also moved to the US. Both times people say that it’s a brave thing to do and takes courage. I never really understood that sentiment. It didn’t feel scary to me. Exciting and interesting more than anything. 

You're an adventurous person with a lot of experience and confidence. I can see that not being much of a challenge for you. I'm completely different. 

• 2 weeks later...

New Orleans is pretty rad so far tbh. Starting this week I'll probably be working myself half to death until the end of Mardi gras, but $$$, so it's whatever.

I'm looking at a place tomorrow that I hope I get. It's an only mildly shitty part of town, it's like a semi-detached one bedroom with washer/dryer that would have cost me $2000/month in Portland, if not more depending on the area. And it's within walking distance from work.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

New Orleans is pretty rad so far tbh. Starting this week I'll probably be working myself half to death until the end of Mardi gras, but $$$, so it's whatever.

I'm looking at a place tomorrow that I hope I get. It's an only mildly shitty part of town, it's like a semi-detached one bedroom with washer/dryer that would have cost me $2000/month in Portland, if not more depending on the area. And it's within walking distance from work.

We gunna need tittie pics. 

On 2/20/2022 at 9:11 AM, Fizzzzle said:

What's the rent?

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

How many squatters were inside?

None that I could see. The main problem was that the place was right the fuck at ground level, which you couldn't tell by the pictures. Like not even a step up to get to the doors. So then I thought "okay, maybe this just isn't a flood prone area," then I saw the backyard where they were in the process of replacing the fence because the last one got blown over last year. Sure, that's to be expected. But I noticed that the bottom of the planks looked rotted... as if they'd been submersed in water for an extended amount of time. And then I was like "man.. all of the linoleum/vinyl floors inside look BRAND NEW... Almost like the just had to replace the floors..."

Couple all that with the fact that it was not in a great neighborhood and a couple other things and I was like "... nope."

49 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

None that I could see. The main problem was that the place was right the fuck at ground level, which you couldn't tell by the pictures. Like not even a step up to get to the doors. So then I thought "okay, maybe this just isn't a flood prone area," then I saw the backyard where they were in the process of replacing the fence because the last one got blown over last year. Sure, that's to be expected. But I noticed that the bottom of the planks looked rotted... as if they'd been submersed in water for an extended amount of time. And then I was like "man.. all of the linoleum/vinyl floors inside look BRAND NEW... Almost like the just had to replace the floors..."

Couple all that with the fact that it was not in a great neighborhood and a couple other things and I was like "... nope."

Just an FYI, due to the high water table, wooden fences in our swampy region natural rot from the bottom as they are effectively sucking water up constantly.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Just an FYI, due to the high water table, wooden fences in our swampy region natural rot from the bottom as they are effectively sucking water up constantly.

I understand that. It wasn't just that one problem, it was a bunch of shit that individually wouldn't be a big deal, but taken in totality seemed like the property was a piece of shit.

5 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Fuck it. Get renters insurance and embrace the good deal. That’s worth the risk imo.   

The thing is it wasn't even that great of a deal. If it was like $600/month or something I might have said fuck it yolo, but there are plenty of other places at similar price points.