Washington Football Team to announce new name and logo on the Today Show

Slug

9cf6619bf7a78c19cf0d726ceb416974.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

WASHINGTON—Saying the cash windfall will go a long way in shoring up their mediocre offense, the newly renamed Washington Commanders told reporters Thursday that they are primed to sign top-tier free agents this off season after receiving $30 billion in funding from the U.S. Department of Defense. “We had some good…

• Haha 1

I'm sick of the "only 30% of native Americans say they're offended by the term blah blah blah" things I've seen with regards to terms like redskin and Eskimo.

I don't fucking care that only [insert minority percentage] are offended by it. That doesn't mean they're wrong. We're talking about labels put on a group of people by colonizers to dehumanize them, it's absolutely understandable that some people don't like it, and they shouldn't be ignored just because they're a minority. Again, it doesn't make them wrong. The term itself is wrong and there's no reason to brandish it.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the band 'Eskimo Callboy' but they're a German band that's been around for a decade or so and they're considering changing their name. They're basically like "we didn't know the name was offensive when we made it, now that we're gaining exposure in places where some people DO find it offensive, maybe we should either change the name or promote why the name is offensive and that we had no ill intentions, we're not sure yet" and the fucking mob of people on the internet that are like "only [insert minority percentage] find it offensive, you're just bowing to the woke mob" etc etc is stupid.

Just because a group is a minority, or even a minority of a minority, that doesn't mean they should be ignored, especially in something as silly as a fucking name for a band or a sports team. Imagine if the Washington football team was called the Washington N***ers. Then imagine a world where "only 25% of black people find that offensive." Black people themselves use the term all the time.  Does that make using the term okay? No, because there's a whole bunch of historical context to the word that has objectivity dehumanizing properties, and just because some people AREN'T offended by it doesn't mean it's okay to override those that are.

"My gay friends say it's okay if I call them faggots" isn't a valid reason to call all gay people faggots. That's what all these surveys show. "Well THESE ones said it was fine!"

Sorry, rant over, I'll take myself back to my snowflake woke chamber.

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

What if I’m offended by the stupid name Commanders and those hideous uniforms? I demand CHANGE!

This is the galaxy brain strat.

Redskins change name to WFT. Sell tons of merch. Then change the name to commanders, sell tons of merch. Everyone hates the name so they change the name again and you guessed it, sell even more merch!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...