Dark Souls: The Roleplaying Game (Steamforged Games) will use modified D&D 5th Edition rules

Commissar SFLUFAN

dark-souls-the-roleplaying-game-artwork.
WWW.DICEBREAKER.COM

The upcoming RPG based on the Dark Souls series of video games will use Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition rules.

The upcoming RPG based on the Dark Souls series of video games will use Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition rules.

Revealed in a press release from Steamforged Games, the publisher responsible for releasing the RPG, Dark Souls: The Roleplaying Game will not be based on an original roleplaying system, but will instead utilise a version of D&D 5E. According to the press release, the Dark Souls RPG – which was unveiled via a teaser trailer released in December – will feature “unique Dark Souls mechanics”, with Steamforged yet to confirm what these gameplay mechanics will be and how they will be integrated alongside the Dungeons & Dragons 5E rules system.

On 2/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, Slug said:

A friend of mine points out that it'll be weird playing a ttrpg in a setting where you literally cannot actually die and the only way to lose is to give up. 

LWy3Afzuje8xL6x7zLE4nQ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It sounds like a great (if bleak) idea that will change-up the D&D 5th edition rules it's built on.

"There are no death saves in Dark Souls: The Roleplaying Game. You hit 0 Position [health/stamina], and you’re dead. Until you respawn by the bonfire, of course.

"You’ll have lost all your collected souls—yep, sorry, levelling up might take a bit longer—and there’s a significant risk you’ll lose part of yourself."

This of course makes complete sense, but is also a rule brimming with potential.

"You’ll begin your campaign with a character concept. Each time you die, you risk parts of yourself being whittled away, leaving you a husk. A mindless hollow. And a quick note: if, during a combat, half of your party dies, then the whole party fails. And wakes up, at a bonfire, soulless and needing to start all over again…"

On 2/1/2022 at 3:44 PM, Kal-El814 said:

I haven’t played 5E ever, so it’s difficult for me to know if it’s really suited to a game that’s almost solely combat focused. Makes sense to try to get it on the biggest system though, I suppose.

It isn't. 5e combat is incredibly slow and probably the worst part of the system. Honestly, I think the AoS Soulsbound would be better, but the 5e d20 system is open source and free to use, as was 3rd edition. 4th edition was strictly prohibited for 3rd parties for some reason, which led to a ton of backash at the time. So anyone can create their own product using the base 5E d20 system.