Shooting at Jacksonville leaves 4 dead, 11 injured

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This was at a Pizza Place. If you've ever been to one they don't have much in the way of security.

I have never been to one, but I assume if this was sponsored by EA, they would have some sort of security to protect their interests.

Security isn't the problem, guns, guns and MOAR GUNS, is the problem.  The expectation that every business in the country should have security guards ready blow someone away is fucking stupid, we already know it doesn't work, schools almost always have an officer on the grounds, the pulse nightclub had armed security, and numerous officers ambushed over the last few years.

31 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Security isn't the problem, guns, guns and MOAR GUNS, is the problem.  The expectation that every business in the country should have security guards ready blow someone away is fucking stupid, we already know it doesn't work, schools almost always have an officer on the grounds, the pulse nightclub had armed security, and numerous officers ambushed over the last few years.

This. 

Seriously, something needs to be done. But Republicans are owned by the NRA who somehow is out of money.

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I find it crazy of all places he got shot, he got shot in the thumb lol. Super lucky to be alive but also from a gaming standpoint, thumbs are important! 

I'm glad he's fine and has his life but that seriously in the back of my mind pissed  me the hell off. LBVS  

58 minutes ago, hiawa23 said:

I have never been to one, but I assume if this was sponsored by EA, they would have some sort of security to protect their interests.

I'm assuming this is a very small tournament so EA probably had no say in the matter. Just like if you wanted to go host a tournament down at a LAN cafe, there would be very little security. However, security isn't the issue here.

This guy had the gun on him, he went to the tournament with a gun meaning he was intending to shoot someone. A gun isn't a wallet, you don't need to take it with you unless you're going to use it.

I'm sure many of us have competed at one time or another at an official video game tournament I agree with others, security at these events are not the issue cause these venues don't tend to warrant that attention or crowd to that extend. We just have a major issue with gun violence in this country. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Will he be forced to retire from video game sports?  Can't play without your thumb. It'd be like a pitcher losing his pitching arm. 

I guess it depends on the player and how bad the injury. My son and I oddly had this conversation about injured thumbs and I proposed I could still play on a joystick if my thumbs was for some reason so injured that I could not play on a controller. I have a Street fighter tournament  stick so it popped in my head talking to him.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Will he be forced to retire from video game sports?  Can't play without your thumb. It'd be like a pitcher losing his pitching arm. 

There are plenty of disabled people who can play games competitively. Someone like Wheels for example has Spinal Muscular Atrophy but can compete at a high level in Killer Instinct

https://sports.yahoo.com/killer-instinct-player-wheels-overcoming-disability-pro-204002264.html

• Thanks 1

This was footage of David Katz from a previous gaming tournament. Nothing really of value but if you want to see an up close view of the guy here he is

"David Katz was a fellow gamer whom went by the names "Ravenchamp" and previously "Bread". Katz apparently committed the shooting spree after losing a game to another gamer called Rico, whom then Katz then murdered, along with others."

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CbsX0_1535323556

1 hour ago, hiawa23 said:

I am curious what kind of security there is at these tournaments as you should not be able to even get a gun into one of these tournaments.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Literally none. Only big events have security 

I know at PAX Unplugges last year, there wasn't even a metal detector or bag check. It's not just small events.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I know at PAX Unplugges last year, there wasn't even a metal detector or bag check. It's not just small events.

It's crazy how we don't provide security at important events and areas.  I sat on a few juries 2 years ago, and the court room was equipped with a metal detector, but no officer was manning it.  So everyone was able to freely walk into the court room while court was in session.  The only thing guaranteeing that the building remained gun free was a placard on the front doors.   

5 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Jeepers, are you kidding me?  That's not right.

Only our district courthouse has cameras. No metal detectors, no protective glass when talking to people. Our county courthouse, at the least courthouse side doesn't have cameras. Our DA spent out of pocket to install cameras in his office area as he just felt safer with them. But hell the door leading to his office is just one of those metal screen doors. 

Now our sheriff's office on the other hand. In the lobby area is 5 cameras covering an area that is 12'x12'. 4 inch thick protective glass with a security drawer for paperwork. Double doors that can be locked remotely if there is a threat. You know where 99% of the people that work in has a gun security is crazy high. But the courthouses are lax as hell. 

3 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Only our district courthouse has cameras. No metal detectors, no protective glass when talking to people. Our county courthouse, at the least courthouse side doesn't have cameras. Our DA spent out of pocket to install cameras in his office area as he just felt safer with them. But hell the door leading to his office is just one of those metal screen doors. 

Do ANY US courts have cameras in the courtroom? I'm assuming no given that courtroom artists are still employed.