The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Latest: Season 2 commences filming. Set catches fire.

TwinIon

1 hour ago, legend said:

I think it's at least plausible this will be good. Fingers crossed.

I'm still cautiously optimistic. The new trailer was pretty good. Most of the people who trash talk the series online are closeted racists who are complaining that having people of color rUiNs thE LoRe. The set designs all look great, the music sounds great, the effects look great... there isn't really much else to go on right now.

I do think there is some concern that they're just going to turn it into a generic milquetoast fantasy series. But I'm not going to assume that yet. The fact that they haven't even hinted at Celeborn even being in the show at all as of yet leaves me a little worried that they're going to have some pulpy romance subplot with Galadriel and Celeborn in a later season, which is dumb.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:12 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

But that generic Marvel soundtrack in the background makes me want to puke considering the LOTR films have some of the greatest film scores ever penned and performed.

Ahem...

Lord-of-the-Rings-Rings-Of-Power2.jpg?w=
DEADLINE.COM

Howard Shore Returns To 'The Lord Of The Rings' Series Creating Title Theme While Bear McCreary Confirmed As Composer By Amazon

• Like 1
  • Sicko 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ahem...

Lord-of-the-Rings-Rings-Of-Power2.jpg?w=
DEADLINE.COM

Howard Shore Returns To 'The Lord Of The Rings' Series Creating Title Theme While Bear McCreary Confirmed As Composer By Amazon

Awesome. They should make use of that in the trailer instead of typing "free epic soundtrack" into YouTube for the... whatever the next trailer is going to be called.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

The soundtrack from Bear McCreary has been released on all streaming platforms though there are two bonus tracks on Amazon Music:

bear-mcreary.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

Bear McCreary talks scoring "Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power" as its soundtrack releases worldwide today.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (2 September 2022, Amazon Prime Video) - update: soundtrack released on all streaming platforms

I remember being pretty underwhelmed for the first few trailers I saw and was purposefully not paying much attention to this... but this new trailer looks pretty great and hey, this comes out in like 2 weeks. I'll be there for sure.

I'm guessing this will be week-to-week and not a total episode dump?

33 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm guessing it will not be true enough to the source material to make me happy. :p 

<----

Why do you say that? I've avoided trailers, but is it them seemingly condensing events that take places over hundreds/thousands of years in the second age as happening all sorta of at the same time? I've heard that potential criticism before.

lmao, with all the impressions starting to come out I thought it was already available so last night I went to watch it and didn't realize until like a minute in that I was just watching the latest trailer and not an opening sequence :lol:

• Haha 2

On 8/24/2022 at 12:05 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Why do you say that? I've avoided trailers, but is it them seemingly condensing events that take places over hundreds/thousands of years in the second age as happening all sorta of at the same time? I've heard that potential criticism before.

My hesitation is based on nothing in particular with this series, just the general tendency of movies/series to rarely be as good as the books upon which they're based. I just saw an article that said Amazon has spent $465 million on the first season alone though, so it seems like they should at least have the resources they need.

I'm OK with them taking some creative liberties, of course. The Silmarillion, which is the book that most closely deals with the events of the Second Age, is just over 360 pages, and it largely provides storytelling in only broad strokes. I just hope we don't get too much of the "let's appeal to kids with a shit-covered wizard" nonsense from the Hobbit movies... I know Jackson isn't involved, but.... that was heartbreaking for a nerd like me. :p 

Also, I wonder if we may finally get a film version of Tom Bombadil. :thinking:

• Thanks 1