AppleTV+’s next big hit: The After Party from Chris Miller

I got a chance to see the whole thing and maaaan, really excellent. It’s a genre I love, from a writer/director I love, so I wasn’t surprised at how I felt. 

I don’t want to spoil anything, it is really fun to just let the show take you on the ride.

One thing I will say is I am glad that Haddish has been able to avoid being typecast as a particular type of funny-Black-lady. She is an immense talent and can really handle a wide range of characters and tones.

9 hours ago, TheLeon said:

In a few of those shots, Ike Barenholtz was looking like alternate reality Mark Wahlberg. :p

That looks like exactly my jam. I bet my sister would like it too. How does the tone of the show overall compare to something like Knives Out?  

After Party is much more 21 Jump Street in tone, despite being genre aligned with Knives. I think there will certainly be a lot of comparisons between the two due to the murder mystery aspects, but they don’t really FEEL similar.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Binged this last night... it was decent. Not great. Sam Richardson is amazing in everything he's in. Ben Scwartz too. I'm over Tiffany haddish though. I thought this show would be funnier than it was given the cast and talent involved but i didn't hate it. Fun time.

Yeah, I thought it was good. I'd hoped they'd make more of the "different character = different genre" thing, but NBD.

Also...

Spoiler

If the show isn't going to be THAT many episodes, it's pretty clear that the killer wasn't going to be the little girl or the ostensible main character, so... I dunno how much of a whodunit it was. Not that I mind, but the finale made it seem like it was more of a mystery than it ended up being.

• 1 year later...

I told my sister she needed to watch this not long after I watched it. Two of her favorite recent things are Knives Out and Only Murders in the Building, so this was an easy recommendation. The problem was I’m always talking about some new things I’ve watched, and she might have (understandably) tuned me out. Anyway, she eventually caught on after watching a TikTok about TV shows you can binge in a day, and she loved it. 

And as we were talking about it, I was excited to see that a second season is coming soon (July 12)! Mostly new cast, lot of fun names. Ken Jeong, John Cho, Elizabeth Perkins, Paul Walter Hauser, Zack Woods.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...