Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

12 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I sort of wonder though if Microsoft will have to release some games on PS4/5 to stay out of the monopoly situation they would have on the game. Sort of like what happened already with Sony and MLB The Show franchise being released on Xbox last year

And who's to say it'll stop here?  I bet Team Ninja are next, and after that, maybe struggling companies that are capable of delivering hits, like Crytek and CDPR.  if CoD can become a console exclusive, there aren't many companies outside of Rockstar and maybe Epic that are safe from acquisition. 

This is why I seriously wonder if/when we'll get to a point where consoles become more like smart bluray players and the three major companies will be more like streaming platforms, eschewing console-manufacturing completely. Sony and MS already both put their first-party exclusives on PC and you also have access to nintendo games via emulation. If you're a PC-owner you're already a leap forward in that direction. If current gen consoles remain hard to find, MS keeps buying third party studios and Sony and MS keep releasing their first party games on PC, it seems absurd for most consumers to not simply buy gaming PCs instead of consoles from here on out.

i find it funny that most people seem to be focusing on CoD.  isnt warzone shit and full of hackers? Vangaurd sold like shit right?  i know its mostly "forum" people who deride CoD but hasnt it been steadily declining every game even though i know it still makes a shit ton of money.

hopefully MS moves them away from the shitty yearly release stuff

5 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

And who's to say it'll stop here?  I bet Team Ninja are next, and after that, maybe struggling companies that are capable of delivering hits, like Crytek and CDPR.  if CoD can become a console exclusive, there aren't many companies outside of Rockstar and maybe Epic that are safe from acquisition. 

Rockstar is entirely owned by Take-Two Interactive who have a market capitalization of $18.3 billion and are frequently rumored as an EA takeover target.

Epic is 40% owned by Tencent, the world's largest videogame company.

8 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

This is why I seriously wonder if/when we'll get to a point where consoles become more like smart bluray players and the three major companies will be more like streaming platforms, eschewing console-manufacturing completely. Sony and MS already both put their first-party exclusives on PC and you also have access to nintendo games via emulation. If you're a PC-owner you're already a leap forward in that direction. If current gen consoles remain hard to find, MS keeps buying third party studios and Sony and MS keep releasing their first party games on PC, it seems absurd for most consumers to not simply buy gaming PCs instead of consoles from here on out.

I really do believe that MS's ultimate goal is platform agnosticism.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Rockstar is entirely owned by Take-Two Interactive who have a market capitalization of $18.3 billion and are frequently rumored as an EA takeover target.

Epic is 40% owned by Tencent, the world's largest videogame company.

How likely do you think a MS acquisition of Take-Two and EA will be?

10 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

The games industry has always desperately wanted to be the movie industry, so here they are.

10 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

i find it funny that most people seem to be focusing on CoD.  isnt warzone shit and full of hackers? Vangaurd sold like shit right?  i know its mostly "forum" people who deride CoD but hasnt it been steadily declining every game even though i know it still makes a shit ton of money.

hopefully MS moves them away from the shitty yearly release stuff

Top Selling Games of 2021

#1 - CoD Vanguard

#2 - CoD Cold War

Not sure if Warzone and MTX sales are mixed into this, but Warzone is a juggernaut as well.

I really do wonder what this will mean for Actillizard franchises going forward. Could WoW go free to play with Game Pass? Will CoD still be a yearly release, but if a delay is needed Microsoft will allow the team extra time whereas that would never happen before? Could Guitar Hero make a comeback as live service game that gets continuous updates rather than constant new games at 60 bucks? 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

I really do wonder what this will mean for Actillizard franchises going forward. Could WoW go free to play with Game Pass?

I had wondered that too but that's leaving too much money on the table for MS to consolidate WoW subscriptions with Game Pass subscriptions. I bet they will keep those separate.

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really do believe that MS's ultimate goal is platform agnosticism.

Microsoft has repeatedly said as much.  However with the tag of - wherever gamepass is available.  I do think that if PS or Nintendo allowed gamepass to be on their system that MS would be all for it - but it would pretty much dry up sales of games for their hardware.  MS is getting pretty close to checkmate.