Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't think the Switch would have sold as well if the narrative never shifted on their 3rd party support.  Indies are part of that, so are F2P games, larger publishers, etc.

Nintendo should never want to be in a position where they more or less go it alone anymore.  They dealt with that for generations on the console side, and their flops hit harder as a result.

Based on *what*? Where are the 3rd party sales at? I would say you have a much more compelling case that a good handheld version of Fortnite helped Switch than the honestly bizarre claim that indies moved the needle at all.

But again, just look at the list of best selling titles on Switch. 20 of the top 20 are Nintendo published titles, and 43 out of the top 50 are published/co-published by Nintendo.

46 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Based on *what*? Where are the 3rd party sales at?

Indies selling better on Switch than elsewhere, AAA, AA and F2P ports that keep coming, etc.

There’s more burden of proof to say that Switch would sell the same amount if outside developers avoided it like the Wii U.  I don’t think it’s realistic to say there was no needle moved.

And yes, I’d agree that Fortnite’s impact is more important than any other 3rd party game on the system.  Just imagine if they didn’t port it.

10 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Indies selling better on Switch than elsewhere, AAA, AA and F2P ports that keep coming, etc.

There’s more burden of proof to say that Switch would sell the same amount if outside developers avoided it like the Wii U.  I don’t think it’s realistic to say there was no needle moved.

And yes, I’d agree that Fortnite’s impact is more important than pretty much any other 3rd party game on the system.  If they didn’t port it… ouch for Nintendo.

So we agree that Fortnite is the most important 3rd party game on the system, and it was fourth place in revenue behind PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. For the Switch seeing success because Nintendo changed the narrative on 3rd party support, it seems as though consumers don’t end up spending relatively much on those 3rd party titles.

fortnite-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Court proceedings unmask the business realities behind iOS gaming and Fortnite.

Having ‘built in’ multiplayer that was both accessible and tailored to their major properties had a much, much greater impact for Nintendo’s bottom line than anything having to do with third party support. The Wii’s success opened them up to a market that was being increasingly underserved by Microsoft and Sony, and the Switch is a return to form. 

Moreover, you are putting the cart before the horse when it comes to citing third-party ports as evidence that they are important; publishers are chasing the install base, not the other way around. 

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So we agree that Fortnite is the most important 3rd party game on the system, and it was fourth place in revenue behind PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. For the Switch seeing success because Nintendo changed the narrative on 3rd party support, it seems as though consumers don’t end up spending relatively much on those 3rd party titles.

fortnite-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Court proceedings unmask the business realities behind iOS gaming and Fortnite.

They don’t, which has always been Nintendo’s problem.  3rd party games often did so poorly it wasn’t worth the while.  Not just in relativity to Nintendo’s games. But poor sales period.

That Fortnite on Switch generates nearly as much mtx sales on PC is actually a momentous thing for a Nintendo platform.

No no no, no “back on topic” coming from you. You wanna die on the most moronic hill of all time? This isn’t ending until the damn hill is named after you. 

Hence forth…Taking the completely asinine view that Nintendo’s success has anything to do with anything other than Nintendo’s first party software, shall now be known as……….Taking a Crispy

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

No no no, no “back on topic” coming from you. You wanna die on the most moronic hill of all time? This isn’t ending until the damn hill is named after you. 

Hence forth…Taking the completely asinine view that Nintendo’s success has anything to do with anything other than Nintendo’s first party software, shall now be known as……….Taking a Crispy

I'm fine to keep going if you insist on making asinine arguments yourself to pile on.  Nintendo's failures have more to do with than their own games.  It stands to reason that their successes do as well.

As I said, Mario Kart 8 couldn't save the Wii U.  The game needed a better outlet to become the huge success it is now.  That's the plain and simple truth.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

I'm fine to keep going if you insist on making asinine arguments yourself to pile on.  Nintendo's failures have more to do than their software.  It stands to reason that their successes do as well.

As I said, Mario Kart 8 couldn't save the Wii U.

The WiiU isn’t a portable. @Ghost_MHaddressed this at least a page ago. Comparing a portable to a home only device is exactly @Mercury33’s point about choosing this hill to die on 😂